NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2003 Pontiac Vibe (Page 2 of 3)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2003 Pontiac Vibe seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Vibe:

2003 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 252013

Vibe 4-cyl

My husband was cut off on an exit ramp on 62east. When he crashed he hit a tree head on causing the airbags to deploy and cut open his head. He still has pain and issues within his accident area and I think this is related to the air bag recalls and feel that if there are continuous checks and issues that we should be involved in any lawsuit against the company for the negligence upon the issues with the airbag.

- North Canton, OH, USA

Nov 012014

Vibe 4-cyl

2003 Pontiac Vibe. Consumer writes in regards to supplemental restraint system electronic control module and airbag recall notices. The consumer stated she keeps getting recall notices, for the 2003 model vehicle she donated. Her current 2009 Pontiac Vibe vehicle has no recalls. Updated 11/19/14.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

May 142013

Vibe 4-cyl

I have been dealing with GM for well over a year in reguards to multiple recalls on my cars air bag system. During this time I have repeatedly been given the run around by them and they're dealer, O'neal Buick in warminster, pa, with reguards to what needs to be done, availability of parts, and overall lack of concern that a vital safety system does not operate properly. To add insult to the situation, after the intial round of recalls when they worked on part of the electrical system, my air bag light was triggered. I had a mechanic diagnose the problem and the system now has a short in it. The dealer will be happy to repair the problem for a fee.

- Browns Mills, NJ, USA

Sep 082014

Vibe 4-cyl

Pontiac/GM has issued several recalls for the airbag and components. (recall #13030, 13113, & 14491.) the dealer does not stock the mandatory parts for recall #13030, and the parts for recall #14491 are not available yet. (they are still "making" them.) so at a minimum I would have to take my car in twice to get it fixed, and probably a third time since the parts for recall 14491 are not available yet, even though I received a notice to take my car in for it. This is horribly inconvenient for the consumer. While it is "no charge", there is a huge time penalty to get these recalls fixed.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 052014

Vibe 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V350000 (air bags) and stated that the part was not available. The dealer was uncertain of when the part would become available to service the vehicle under the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.... updated 06-02-15 the consumer stated the issue was resolved. Updated 06/11/15

- Henderson, NV, USA

Oct 152013

Vibe 4-cyl

Received a recall notice on vehicle airbag module. Brought vehicle to a GM dealership to do the work, work was performed to place a radio harness on the module. Suddenly the airbag light came on and has stayed on intermittently since this repair. Brought car back to dealership, they proceeded to tell us that it had nothing to do with the recall and that the module was bad. This is not accurate as we had replaced the module. The will not repair the problem without charging us hefty diagnostic fees. There were no issues with the airbag system prior to this recall work. Repeated requests for assistance from GM have not been answered.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Jul 132014

Vibe 4-cyl

My 2003 Pontiac Vibe received over $10000 in damages and was judged totaled due to a collision with a Lincoln towncar on July 13, 2014. The Lincoln struck the front of my car at an angle while making a left turn into my path from oncoming traffic. I was traveling approximately 40-45 mph and had little time to react and brake prior to the impact. The impact drove the front bumper into the radiator and the radiator into the engine doing a considerable amount of damage under the hood. There was no obvious physical damage to the passenger compartment but my concern is that the air bags did not deploy to prevent me from being injured. The police officer responding to the incident also indicated surprise that the air bags would not deploy in this type of accident. There had been prior recalls on my vehicle that were air bag related and I had responded to all of them by taking the car in for servicing.

- King, NC, USA

Feb 052014

Vibe

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V3120000 (air bags); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date as to when the part would become available. The contact had not experienced any failures.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Nov 052013

Vibe 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id numbers:13V133000 (air bags) and 13V029000 ( air bags). The parts needed to complete the repairs were not available for either vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and provided an unreasonable date for when the contacts vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure. Updated 05/05/2014 updated 05/9/2014

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Dec 122013

Vibe

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact stated that he attempted to have the vehicle repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 13V133000 (air bags ) but was informed that the parts were not available. The contact felt that since the failure was reported in April of 2013, there should be a remedy available before December of 2013. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- New Braunfels, TX, USA

Aug 022013

Vibe

We were told that we were not included in a recall notification we received in June. We got another notice in November from Pontiac stating that indeed we were. So we are concerned why we were told no the first time. Thank you

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Nov 292013

Vibe 4-cyl

I was in an accident on 11/29/2013 on crow canyon, san ramon, ca and the individual in front of me slammed on there brakes and in turn I did the same and my vehicle hit the vehicle in front of me and totaled my front end. The airbags did not deploy and my body slammed into the steering wheel which in turn hurt my chest badly. The san ramion pd was shocked that the airbags did not deploy. I rec'd a recall notice on 1/2012 stating the parts were defective. Never was resolved by the GMC Pontiac. Thank goodness I was wearing my seatbelt or I have gone thru the wind shield. The airbags should have deployed. The GMC corporation should have resolved the problem long ago and did not. This is not correct. I believe they should be held accountable for the defect of airbags for not resolving the airbags long ago.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Nov 292010

Vibe 4-cyl

I was in a accident on 11/29/2013 on crow canyon, san ramon, ca and the individual in front of me slammed on her brakes so I in turn did the same and my vehicle hit the vehicle in front of me and totaled my front end. The airbags did not deploy and my body slammed into the steering wheel which in turn hurt my chest. The san ramon P.D was shocked that the airbags did not deploy. I received a recall notice on 1/2012 stating the parts were defective. Never was resolved by GMC/Pontiac. Had I not been wearing my seat belt I would have gone thru windshield. The airbags should have deployed. The GMC people should have resolved the problem about the airbags. This is just not correct. Someone should be held accountable for the defect. Updated 12/18/13

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Oct 212013

Vibe

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V133000 (air bags) and attempted to have the vehicle repaired but was informed that the parts were not available. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Fresno, CA, USA

May 012013

Vibe

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the air bag warning indicator illuminated continuously on the instrument panel. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number 13V133000 (air bags) however, the part was unavailable to perform the repair. The manufacturer was notified and they were unable to provide an expected date for the remedy part to become available. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Port Townsend, WA, USA

Apr 162013

Vibe

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign id number: 13V133000 (air bags) however, the notification indicated that the parts needed for the recall repair were not available. The manufacturer was notified and confirmed that they were unable to provide an arrival date for the part to become available. The contact had concerns of a potential safety issue but had not experienced a failure.

- Albany, NY, USA

Apr 092013

Vibe 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. The contact stated that while traveling 25 mph, the air bags erroneously deployed. The contact was able to merge to the shoulder. The passenger sustained a headache from the failure. The contact also stated that the air bag cracked the windshield. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 13V029000 (air bags). The failure and current mileages were 81,000.

- Enlla, PA, USA

Oct 172012

Vibe

Had a drunk driver hit me head-on (he may have been doing 40mph..) I was doing maybe 25mph down a major blvd. The airbags did not deploy. Drunk was arrested at the scene. Both cars totaled. His airbag went off.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Sep 122012

Vibe

I was driving North on a state route when I was hit broadside by a Ford Explorer. My car rolled over before flipping end-over-end into a culvert. No airbags deployed.

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 082012

Vibe 4-cyl

I was driving South on nottingham dr. At the intersection of North westover blvd ( I had a green light ) when a white Lexus turned left on to N. westover blvd in front of me. The Lexus was too close to avoid and the front passenger-side corner of my car impacted the rear passenger-side door and rear wheel of the Lexus, turning it 180 degrees clockwise. The side air curtains of the Lexus deployed but the air bags in my car did not deploy. I believe the air bags in my car should have deployed.

- Albany, GA, USA