Transmission Failure Seal Of This Might Hurt Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2. replace transmission (1 reports)
2003 Pontiac Vibe transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Pontiac Vibe:

2003 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments

Feb 142013

I have had this car since it was new. 3 times it has completely died on me while driving, at about 70k intervals.

Once time I was driving down a mountain road and it shut off. Second time I was making a right turn to get onto the highway. Third time driving down a random street.

Whether it's an ignition switch or transmission problem, I don't know. It just completely cuts out. No harsh grinding sounds other people complain about, I'm just worried it will happen at the wrong time since I drive on the freeway a lot.

Update from Jul 13, 2014: When I contacted GM they forwarded it to a local dealer. Service Manager didn't sound confident he could pin point. he said he'd ask people and get back to me, and never did.

- , la Crescenta, CA, USA

Dec 152003

Vibe GT 1.8L

I had to back date this one since I just found this site. I tryed to sue pontiac over this terrible little car. Had problem with it not even 200 miles , clutch didn't like to go into gear ,not just one but randomly any gear. I would alway have to double clutch. Let Me say I owned five manual vehicles before this piece of crap and never burned up a clutch. Any way after the mechanic's said it is a new clutch and needs to be broken in a little,it will smooth out. YA RIGHT!! With a new baby in the car and driving to bethesda MAryand we run into a snow storm and become stranded on the highway. After a hour I finally flag down a off duty police man and he calls a tow truck, we were in a dead zone and cell did not work, incase you were wondering. long story short, I had to pay for the tow,rental and new clutch at 12000 miles on a 1/12 year old brand new car. They said it was operator error and we did not know how to drive a manual. Found a different website that said toyota gave pontiac a generic version of the matrix and that is why the clutched failed, and yes the vibe under neathe says toyota all over it.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 122010

Having to repair my transmission AGAIN!! Had all new bearings put in two years ago. Started back with the noisy bearings about a week ago, now so bad I won't drive it. Told I need a new transmission- about $2600.

- , Harvest, AL, USA

Apr 222005

broke down on side of road- tow costed 137.00 to dealer- dealer said that pontiac refused to cover anything cause out of warranty, but be real, how many tranmissions go completely out after 0nly 49000 miles? Dealer not offering much in the way of relief. Wants me to buy a new car and only give me blue book minus the cost of the replacement of transmisssion.

- , Bemidji, MN, USA