NHTSA — Vehicle Speed Control Problems

2009 Pontiac Vibe (Page 2 of 2)

CarComplaints.com Seal Of Pretty Good

CarComplaints.com Notes: The Pontiac Vibe is the mechanical twin of the Toyota Matrix.

Both models were a joint GM-Toyota venture, manufactured together at a NUMMI production facility in Fremont, CA. Only the heating & A/C systems are different.

2009 Pontiac Vibe engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Pontiac Vibe:

2009 Pontiac Vibe Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 012010

Vibe

Vehicle was purchased in 2008. I own a 2009 Pontiac Vibe which is now included in Toyota's recall. Recall # 10018: Accelerator pedal sticking and recall # 10038: Floor mat interference and accelerator pedal.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 132010

Vibe

-the contact owns a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. The contact received a recall notification. The NHTSA campaign id number was unknown. The authorized dealer was notified and they stated the vehicle had prior recall repair performed on the vehicle. The contact disputed, stating that the vehicle had not been repaired under the recall. Additionally, the dealer mentioned the vehicle was repaired in a state that was not the residency of the contact. The contact was displeased with the inaccurate information and suggested the dealer inspect the vehicle to verify the repair was not performed. However, the dealer refused to investigate. The current mileage was 42,000.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Mar 072010

Vibe

The accelerator in our 2009 Pontiac Vibe acted up for the third time this evening. While each episode has been different, all 3 episodes have taken place in virtually the same place. It had the recall performed on it over a week ago. I have already filed a compliant with you. This time the car suddenly attempted to accelerate while I was coming to a stop. As stated before, I had no problem holding the car back with the brakes. This episode was only a few seconds long. I am an automotive technology instructor with master automotive ase and advanced engine performance certifications. I taught electronics at a local college for approximately 10 years before taking this job. I have done advanced rf and communications work. I have had experience with machine language microprocessor programming. This is not a sticking accelerator pedal!!! I have tried to duplicate the situation many times with no luck. The occurrences are very random. My wife has complained in the past of the cruise control seemingly engaging while down town on the I190. I now believe those episode are relate to the same problem. Please contact me!

- East Aurora, NY, USA

Feb 072010

Vibe

I was in the process of pulling into a parking space with my 2009 Pontiac Vibe. I had my foot on the brake pedal, within a foot of coming to a complete stop, the vehicle accelerated suddenly. The sudden acceleration jerked my wife's head and my head back. As the vehicle accelerated I pressed down on the brake pedal as hard as I could. The Vibe came to a stop on top of a snow bank and damage was done to the front of the Vibe. This was the first time the vehicle did this. The second time was also in a paved parking lot. I was pulling into a parking spot, I had my foot on the brake and just before I wanted to stop the Vibe accelerated suddenly, but, not as hard as the first time. I depressed the brake as hard as I could to stop the Vibe. The vehicle did not hit anything this time. This happened on Feb. 13, 2010. No one was injured in either of the occurrences.

- Milford, MI, USA

Feb 172010

Vibe

Our 2009 Pontiac Vibe suddenly attempted to accelerate while driving up hill through an intersection. My left foot was firmly on the floor block located next to the driverside kick pan. My right foot was covering the brake pedal. The vehicle was slowing down (approx. 30 mph.)as I rolled up the hill and was idling normally. Shortly before entering the intersection the throttle advanced substantially. The RPM raised to approx. 2500, but the transmission did not down shift. I was easily able to control the vehicle by pressing on the brake pedal. Since there was no traffic near by, I decided to continue allowing the vehicle to continue at approx. 30 miles an hour while controlling the speed with the brake pedal. The vehicle proceeded approx 200 yards when suddenly the engine shut off. I restarted the vehicle without any problem. I can not repeat the conditions because any degree of throttle at that speed will normally cause the transmission to down shift. My wife who has complained that the cruise control has come on by itself while driving on the expressway. Two days latter the vehicle exhibited a different throttle abnormality at the same intersection. I am a master certified ase automotive technician with extensive electrical background. This had nothing to do with a stuck accelerator pedal.

- East Aurora, NY, USA

Aug 312009

Vibe

Prior to the current recall campaign for sticky accelerator pedal, I have experienced three occurrences of that problem. All three times, the car has continued to accelerate, while I am braking at a stop sign. All three times, the pedal has successfully released. The recall letter came Feb. 13, and the repair can be scheduled after February 22, 2010, so nothing has been done yet to correct the problem. The main reason for my complaint, (also based on extensive experience with cars), is that the conditions under which my car has malfunctioned, are not the conditions described in the recall letter. The letter says "over time, the internal mechanisms in the accelerator pedal may become worn. As a result of this wear, combined with certain operating and environmental conditions, friction in the mechanism may increase and intermittently result in the accelerator pedal being hard to depress and/or slow to return...." one occurrence was in the first 300 miles or so of ownership, and was in warm dry weather. At least one of the other two occurrences was before winter hit. My car also has only 4600 total miles on it, has been parked in the garage for weeks, and will not be driven until I think Toyota or Pontiac have actually solved the problem. In other words, my car does not have the miles on it to cause "wear, " especially for the first occurrence of the problem, nor has it malfunctioned in the cold moist conditions that I have read are the conditions described in the recall letter. Therefore, it is my strong opinion that the "sticky accelerator pedal" condition is not due to what the recall addresses. A more possible cause, is as I have read from some owners, one of the computers.

- Bloomiongton, MN, USA

Feb 112010

Vibe

Recall 10018 accelerator pedal sticking called GM on 11 Feb and they told me that this recall did not apply to my car. Today, Feb 13, 2010, I got a recall notice in the mail. They downright lied to me 2 days ago.

- Cocoa, FL, USA

Oct 152009

Vibe

Accelerator defect/recall. It occurred once in 2009. I had to putthe car in neutral because the engine was racing. It took approximately 30 seconds for the engine to return to normal. The floor mats were not jammed.

- River Edge, NJ, USA

Aug 092009

Vibe

I was stopped in traffic at the entrance to baxter state park in Maine in August 2009. I was driving a 2009 Pontiac Vibe. When the car in front of me advanced a few feet, I touched the gas pedal lightly to move forward. When I then stepped on the brake, the car kept advancing. I pressed harder on the brake but the car kept moving until it struck the car in front. This was at very low speed, as the car had moved only several feet. There was minor damage to the car in front, and only scratched paint on my car.

- York, ME, USA

Jan 272010

Vibe

I have a 2009 Pontiac Vibe with less than 5000 miles on it. After filling it with gas, I was moving it from the pumps to the parking area about 30ft away. Suddenly the engine raced. I stomped the brakes and threw the car into neutral. The engine continued to race until I tapped the gas pedal. The engine then returned to idle. The pedal was not stuck on anything on the inside of the car. I had just gently accelerated to move the car. The engine just suddenly raced independent to anything that I had done.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 012010

Vibe

Part of the Pontiac Vibe is built by Toyota. I am concerned about the recent recall of the Toyota matrix which is basically the same vehicle as the Vibe. Has anyone checked this out?

- Sachse, TX, USA