NHTSA — Electrical System Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 4 of 5)

2007 Saturn Outlook electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jun 012011

Outlook

Headlight went out. Replaced with same type of bulb. Bulb was out in 4 days. Wiring harness completely melted. GM has already issued a 'tech notice' on this extensive problem, but the dealer refused to cover the repair cost of $400 because it isn't a recall. I'm sorry, but replacement of a headlight bulb that then burns up the wiring harness is a manufacturing defect and a major safety issue. Why isn't a fuse tripped if there is some issue - any time electronics melt, that is a big problem! in addition to the obvious safety issue of not having a headlight working, is there power still going to the harness" what happens if you are forced to continue driving before getting this replaced? is your car going to eventually catch fire" this needs to be recalled immediately. Based on the number of complaints I've seen with the NHTSA, this should have already been a forced recall.

- Hainesville, IL, USA

Apr 112011

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2007 Outlook xr leaks water inside of it and is messing up the electrical stuff in it. It has started telling me to have the airbag serviced, so now I am worried that it will either randomly go off or not go off when it is supposed to. It has told me that my car was over heated when I have just started it. It has continued to keep running when I have turned the key off and removed it from the ignition switch. I have read several other complaints on the internet from other owners. Edmunds website has several complaints on there that you can read. I have contacted general motor over this matter because the water leaking in is from factory defects. Other owners have taken their Outlooks in to the General Motors service centers numerous times and their Outlooks continue to leak. I had the top of my Outlook covered with plastic and water still leaked in when it rained. I vacuumed 6 gallons of water out of it and could not get all of the water out, which is going to lead to it molding and mildewing. Something needs to be done to pull these unsafe vehicles off the road.

- Clarkson, KY, USA

Apr 152011

Outlook 4WD 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook xe and in late 2009 my driver side dim headlight went out. We replaced the bulb to no avail. My husband checked the wires which were burnt up and replaced them. The light would work intermittently. Finally he fixed it long enough to make it last for about 6-8 months and now it is out again. When he checked it this time he noticed that the wires were melted/burnt again. He has once again fixed the problem as best as he could. My warranty is out and we don't have enough money to take it to the dealer so we continue to deal with this issue as best we can. I have ck'd on websites and noticed that I am not the only person with this issue and I believe something needs to be done. I am also having complete wiring problems with the rest of this lemon that I have to drive. The radio and speakers work whenever they wish and the remote start up is now inoperable as it chooses. I have had nothing but problems with this SUV since I bought it, including a transmission problem while on vacation. I was unable to drive for a whole week while it was in the shop to be repaired. Thank goodness I still had a warranty at that time.

- Crawfordville, FL, USA

Apr 152011

Outlook

Wireing harness for headlights melting.

- Tuttle, OK, USA

Apr 182008

Outlook 6-cyl

I have had numerous problems with my 2007 Saturn Outlook headlights. Headlight went out around 20,000 miles sent to dealer fixed. Headlight goes out again around 5,000 miles later took to dealer replaced headlight. Fine for another 20,000 miles and again same problem. This time out of warranty. I replaced bulb. 1 week later I find connector to bulb is burned. I am very concerned for that at night when it burns again worried wife and children are in danger.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Mar 032011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight intermittently turns on and off at will. Duration > a year; not driven alot at night. Concerned about melted wiring also. Prior to this, steering locked up when going through puddles. Made an extremely loud screeching noise. Dealer serviced problem in warranty but did not completely correct it.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Feb 252011

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook : replaced passenger-side headlight bulb a month ago. Bulb is now out again. Read so many complaints regarding the problem. Believes recall is in order....

- Laurel, MD, USA

Feb 102011

Outlook

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook that a very much like. One problem that I have encountered however is the low beam driverside headlight. I started having problems about six months ago and I ended up changing the bulb about four months ago. The new one became intermittent like the previous, this time however I found the connector for the bulb to be all melted away along with the "new bulb I installed. I see from this an other forums that I am not alone with this issue. Do you know if with the risk of fire if GM is taking any action to recall what appears to be a common and dangerous issue?

- Montreal, 00, USA

Sep 122010

Outlook 6-cyl

Drivers side low bean wiring harness melted after bulb blew and had to be replaced. Replaced bulb with one from advanced auto parts and then it went out and when I went to find the problem I found the harness where the bulb and harness connect had melted. I've found on line that many other people are having the same problem.

- Callahan, FL, USA

Jan 142011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2007 Saturn Outlook that I will be replacing the headlight wiring harness for the third time on the drivers side. Both sides were replaced by Saturn in early 2009 while the vehicle was under warranty. Since than I had to repair both sides in early 2010. Now its 2011 and the drivers side has gone out again. The wiring harness keeps melting so I need to fix them every year. This is a safety concern since they seem to go out very close together. GM dealers want to charge 400 dollars for the replacement of one. It takes me approximately 4 hours to make the repair on one side due to the extensive work involved in getting to the headlight assembly.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

Dec 162010

Outlook 6-cyl

The front right hid low beam went out for the third time in 6 months. The wiring harnes melted again destroying an expensive bulb.

- Dripping Springs, TX, USA

Dec 102010

Outlook

2007 Outlook xr AWD - front right low beam wiring harness and bulb connector melted after 37,000 miles.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Nov 232010

Outlook

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Saturn Outlook and love the vehicle so for. However after having it for about 3 months, the passenger headlight went out. An easy fix. I replaced both bulb and two days later, the driverside started turning off and on by itself. I've now replaced both bulb twice in 3 months time. I wish I would've researched this vehicle before I bought it. I now read how GM is doing nothing and this is wrong. Someone could be serious injured or die from a result sudden light outage. Please GM help us out like we've helped you.

- Maineville, OH, USA

Nov 262010

Outlook 6-cyl

We bought a 2007 Saturn Outlook in may of 2008. The low beam head lamps would keep "blowing" so we thought. We have replaced head lamps for the low beams on driver and passenger sides at least 3 times each year, so 9 times. In Nov. Of 2010 the passenger side would go out and them come back on, so we bought a new one to put in. As my husband went to replace the bulb just by touching it, it would go on. Then the driver side started doing this. On Friday Nov. 26 while driving down I90 (a major highway) in albany at 5am in the rain, I lost both headlights. My husband would go to replace them and they would come back on with the touch. After reading the many complaints we realized that we have the same headlight problem. They will be on and going and then just turn off. We have almost been hit 2 times now and I will not drive in the dark or have to drive with my high beams on at all times. We are in the process of seeing if this is covered by extended warranty. Since I have bought the car, the interior dash lights will dim up and down. After several over 6 times to the Saturn dealership, they just keep telling me its normal for this car. We believe it all has to do with the wiring harness and it's malfunction.

- East Nassau, NY, USA

Nov 272010

Outlook 6-cyl

I was driving the vehicle today and noticed that the drivers headlight had burned out again. This is the second time since 9/18/2010. This is a serious matter that needs to be addressed by GM. I can not understand why a recall has not been issued. Does GM even know how to fix this problem. Becoming scared to drive vehicle at night fearing my headlights will go out completely.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Sep 052010

Outlook 6-cyl

As many other owners of 2007 Saturn Outlooks have reported, the wiring for both headlights have melted, leaving me without headlights. This is a very dangerous situation for all motorists since the incident can occur at night when headlights are a must. Replacing the wiring harness and connector with the same factory wiring and connectors that GM supplies you with per the tsb, is not a correct fix. This will lead to a future failure, and melting wiring and plastic components could potentially cause a fire. This is dangerous and GM knows there is a problem. The factory needs to have a recall and have all components upgraded to ones that will handle the voltage required to run the headlights. I seriously hope there are no fires or accidents that cause any injury before GM decides to do something about this problem. It's bad enough that people are having to repeatedly spend their money to mask a problem that does nothing but come back at a later date.

- West Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 122010

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight wiring harness on 2007 Saturn Outlook xr melts causing fire hazard.

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

Oct 232010

Outlook 6-cyl

2007 Saturn Outlook. Driver side low beam headlight continuously develops problems. First, light starts operating intermittently; then, eventually fails completely. The first time it happened, I replaced the bulb (difficult operation accessed through the wheel well). It worked well for a few weeks, then failed again. After reading others' experiences, the next time it happened, I inspected the socket and saw visible charring on the contacts. So, I replaced the socket with an aftermarket part and replaced the bulb. It functioned well for about 3 months, and now the headlight is intermittent again, leaning towards failing completely again. This has been infuriating because the exact onset of the problem is unpredictable and has already caused me a nys equipment violation ticket. Plus, from what I can see, it is a potential fire hazard and certainly a safety hazard as far as driving at night with only one (or possibly no) functioning headlight(s). I cannot change sockets and bulbs every 2-3 months and am worried that the car is unsafe because of the obvious wiring harness issues. I know Saturn is out of business, but we need a safety recall to protect consumers like me who are stuck with an unsafe car. The new GM should pay for a recall.

- Freeport, NY, USA

Sep 242010

Outlook

I have experienced only issues all year with my 2007 Saturn Outlook. It has 55,000 miles and in June 2010 the wiring short circuited behind the steering wheel causing the theft security lock system to go into effect assuming the car was being hot-wired. It cost me over $300 to fix at the dealer and had to be towed. Then the dealer said my inside fuse box was completely corroded from water and they would need to fix the leak my sunroof was causing. The dealer has made 6 attempts to fix and I just picked up my car this morning, hopefully after the final attempt. Now my breaks are causing issues, the break pedal softens and goes down to almost the floor when pressed every 4th or 5th time and it is drinking brake fluid, I need to take it this weekend to check for a leak. Not to mention my power steering is making loud whining sounds every time that I move the steering wheel. Oh, and my passenger side low beam headlight has gone out a few times and my husband has had to access the back of it to replace it but it continues to go out. Oh, and my transmission caused problems two weeks ago and the dealer fixed it under my powertrain warranty.. 55,000 miles and this car is giving me issues as if I'm over 200,000 miles!

- Miramar, FL, USA

Jul 232010

Outlook

Had a headlight replaced in the Saturn Outlook 2007 xe. The light went out again and melted the wiring harness and fuse. This is a definite safety issue that has happened to many Saturn owners and Saturn even has a technical bulletin addressing the problem but doesn't notify Saturn owners of the issue or help fix it. A recall is warranted. Melted wiring is not acceptable in a car.

- Gypsum, CO, USA