NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2007 Saturn Outlook (Page 7 of 7)

2.5

2007 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Saturn Outlook:

2007 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Apr 152010

Outlook

Both headlights (low beams) go out at random times and come back on at random times. One or both headlights could be out at any given time. I had one bulb replaced at a cost of $94, however it hasn't fixed the problem. This is especially an issue at night when headlights are needed for driving. I have tried using the manual on/off for the lights, but it doesn't work. If the lights are out, I can't get them to come back on unless someone gets under the car, reaches up and spins the bulb or adjusts a wire to the point that the light comes back on.

- Hampton, IL, USA

May 052010

Outlook

My lowbeam headlight went out in my 2007 Saturn Outlook. I replaced the light and it went out again a day later. I took the car in to the dealership the wiring harness is melted and the wiring going into the harness is burnt. This is due to too much voltage causing the harness to melt. This has been a problem with many Saturn Outlooks it has yet to be a recall. This is not only a manufacture issue but a safety issue as it could result in a fire. The wiring harness is no longer available so the whole headlight has to be replaced to correct the problem.

- Sacramento , CA, USA

Apr 282010

Outlook

While driving at night my 2007 Saturn Outlook the passenger low beam went out. Upon opening the hood when I stopped I noticed the distinct odor of burnt plastic. Upon further evaluation while removing the bulb I observed that the insulation for the wiring harness had melted off and shorted at the interface between the wire and connector. The contact for the bulb also exhibited charring at the connector contact. An internet search for a replacement bulb alerted me that there is a service bulletin (09-08-42-004) addressing the replacement of this harness should the headlight fail. I feel this is a oem design flaw and safety issue since the harness can short out to the point to where the insulation is melted completely off exposing bare wires.

- Marion, VA, USA

Apr 172010

Outlook

Passenger side headlamp went out. Assumed it was just a burned bulb but when taken to the dealership was advised that the headlamp wiring harness had actually melted. The harness and bulb were replaced at a cost of over $300 which neither GM nor the dealership were willing to cover, despite the fact that not only could it be a fire/safety hazard but that the company is fully aware of it as they issued a tsb in regards to the issue ("tsb #09-08-42-004 "low beam headlamp replacement/diagnosis (inspect fuse, bulb, harness, replace harness and fill connector cavity for low beam bulb connector with nyogel grease) - (May 29, 2009). Document id: 2284787. Applies to models 2007-2009 Saturn Outlook) this is clearly a design flaw that needs to be addressed since numerous customers have posted similar occurrences on forums (ie: www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=818.60). A customer's headlights going out during a night drive would be extremely dangerous, not to mention the potential fire hazard.

- Welland, 00, USA

Mar 102010

2007 Saturn Outlook driver side headlight wiring harnesses burnt out

- Tarpon Springs, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Outlook

Low beam headlight wiring harness burned on passenger side. Headlamp no longer works, even with new bulb replacement.

- Terra Alta, WV, USA

Feb 162010

Outlook

Low beam headlight wiring issue. First the passenger side low beam went out while on vacation, it was repaired at the Saturn dealership in kelowna, bc can. They told me the "pigtail assembly" did a meltdown. Now the drivers side has gone out I replaced the bulb and that lasted about 24 hours and it burned again, the service shop I took it to told me Saturn told them they would have to replace the entire headlight assembly to the tune of about $600 + dollars!!!! to repair a headlight!!!!! it is almost impossible for a normal man to get his hand in the area of the rear of the headlight to change the bulb which I think is ridiculous but that's another story. This problem from what I am hearing is a common problem with Outlook owners and in my opinion constitutes a recall notice to all Outlook owners??

- Edmonton, Alberta Canada, 00, USA

Jan 012009

Outlook

We have a 07 Saturn Outlook that has a wiring problem with the drivers side headlight that has been going on for a year or so and began when our vehicle was at approx 38,000 miles. We have changed the bulb several times but it burns out within a week or two of replacing it. The wiring is melted at the socket for the light bulb. We took it in to dealer and was told we would have to replace the entire headlamp unit and that it would cost approx $500 - $600 to do so and that it was not covered under any warranty, nor where there any recalls. We have tried to find the part at several auto part stores (rielly's, autozone) but nobody sells it. I have talked to others who have the same problem and the service agent at the dealer said they see a lot of these.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Jan 022010

Outlook

Faulty headlight wiring harness resulting in failure of low beam headlight. Saturn knows this is a common problem and refuses to acknowledge that it is a safety problem which results in decreased nighttime visibility and could ultimately result in a fatal wreck.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Feb 122010

Outlook

2007 Saturn Outlook wiring harness for headlights has melted/failed on both driver and passenger sides.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Dec 022009

Outlook

Headlight wire harness failure, headlight stopped working at 39,000 miles, changed the bulb and found melted wires by the bulb.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Jan 172010

Outlook

The connectors to the headlight lamps on my 2007 Saturn Outlook are burned. The headlamps will turn on and off at any moment. This is creating a safely hazard in driving at night. There should be a safety recall of this defect instead of forcing customers to replace the faulty housing with cabling for 800 each.

- Allen, TX, USA

Jan 042010

Outlook

Headlight wiring harness melted I have no low beam on the driver side.

- Poplar, WI, USA

Jan 022010

Outlook

I purchased my 2007 Saturn Outlook brand new. I was told that wiring harness needed to be changed about $1,000. My extended warranty does not cover it because it is over 74,000 miles. I have been reading forums from other Saturn Outlook owners and a lot of them having same problem.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Jan 132010

Outlook

I bought a 2007 Saturn Outlook in July of 2007. Since then my passenger side headlight harness has melted twice and now my driver side harness is melted. The first time I had it fixed Saturn arrange for it to be free of charge however they are refusing to help again and now I have no headlights. These wire harnesses should not melt and I believe are caused by a much bigger problem and am fearful for my safety driving in a car with wiring issues. My passenger side went out in December of 2008 then again in November of 2009 and now the driver side went out January 13, 2010.

- Oak Hills, CA, USA

Oct 032008

Outlook

Saturn Outlook headlight wiring harness defect.

- Magnolia, TX, USA