NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 1 of 12)

2008 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Jun 202016

Outlook

Driving late one night when my low beam lights stopped working, I was left with my high beam lights and my fog lights only. Ended up getting pulled over by a police officer on my way home, who advised that it is a common problem with the wiring in similar vehicles.after writing me a warning, I went home with little light for driving. Woke up this morning, attempted to check fuses and bulbs, no issues noted. Can smell a burnt wire smell near headlight. Did my research and apparently is is a very common problem indeed. Please recall headlight wiring harnesses.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

May 112016

Outlook

When it rains, the headliner gets soaked. The water runs down arm going down in the front that connects the roof and dashboard and floods the driver side dead pedal and floor board. Water also leaks from rear sunroof glass and drips from the rear dome light and leaks to the 3rd row seats/rear compartment.

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Jan 012014

Outlook

Low beam headlights continue to go out after replacing with new ones. Has happened parked once but usually occures accelerating after being stopped or after driving distances more than 30 miles. This started back in early 2014 and has continually gotten more and more frequent. Other various electrical problems keep occuring such as lights dimming while driving (interior dash) and climate control setting changing to what I can presume are default settings (74 deg for both driver and passenger side turning on)

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Jul 012014

Outlook

Passenger headlight continually burns out. We have replaced the bulb several times. I have done this myself as well as had it professionally replaced at the dealer and the bulb continues to burn out after just a few weeks.. there has to be a short in the wiring causing this. I have searched online and it looks like I am not alone and this is a widespread problem.

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Mar 122014

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlamp did not work on many occasions over 1 1/2 years. Dealer replaced both driver and passenger bulbs but drivers side went out and did not come back on. An inspection revealed a burnt / melted connection at the bulb.

- Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 282014

Outlook 6-cyl

Recently having problems with the drivers side low beam headlight. When I took it in to the dealer to be looked at I was informed that the wiring harness had melted. To replace it will cost an upward of $400. Also having problems with the vehicles steering constantly squealing, not sure what is going on. And when going around turns the stability control makes a loud abrupt noise almost stopping the vehicle. I just can't believe all the problems I've been having with this vehicle in such the short amount of time I've owned it. I am a pregnant mother with 2 children already and I do not trust the safety of this vehicle!!

- Templeton, PA, USA

May 282013

Outlook 6-cyl

Near the end of May 2012, I was backing out of my driveway which slopes slightly downward, and suddenly water started coming out of the rear overhead lights. When the car reached level ground the water then came out of the passenger-side windshield pillar and the sunroof as well. I brought it to a GM dealership and they told me the sunroof drain tubes were clogged. It cost me $90 to have them clean it out. The car is normally garaged, however we had driven it during a rainstorm the day before this happened. Afterwards we started noticing some crazy things happening to the electrical system of the car. Sometimes the radio would stay on even after the key was removed and opening the doors (which normally would shut everything down.) sometimes the front door panel speakers would not work at all, or one would work or both would work. Right now the drivers side is not working. Then the day after the car was out in a torrential rain storm sometime near the end of February 2014, it would not start at all. It was completely dead and I had to call aaa to get it started. The aaa guy said to check this car out online for electrical problems, which I did and found volumes of complaints stemming from this issue, as well as several GM technical service bulletins or tsb's as they are referred to. I once again brought it to the GM dealership which knew about the issue and repaired it at a cost to me of $810.39. GM has not addressed this issue directly, nor has compensated any of the consumers who own the vehicles that all have this problem, namely Saturn Outlook, GMC acadia and Buick enclave from 2008 - 2010. I feel that it is irresponsible and unethical for them to pass this problem off to the consumer. This is not a normal wear and tear issue and I want to be reimbursed, and I'd like them to inspect and repair for free the electrical system as well for other damage.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Apr 072010

Outlook 6-cyl

April 2010, passenger low beam headlight went out. Was pulled over and told to get it fixed. Went in to change the light, but found the harness was melted and wires were frayed and showed signs of arcing. I replaced the harness and bulb. Jan 2014, take car to get safety inspected and get told that passenger side low beam is out and failed inspection. Found exact same problem as in April 2010, frayed wires and signs of electrical arcing.

- Cibolo , TX, USA

Dec 272013

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver's side headlight stopped working. Got pulled over and was given a fix it ticket. Replacing the bulb didn't fix it. I've read this is a very common issue with the wiring harness due to manufacturer defect or faulty equipment which shouldn't be the responsibility of the owner to pay to fix. Driving in the dark without a working driver side headlight is very dangerous, especially in the winter which is when this happened to me. There needs to be a recall because this causes a big safety issue.

- Canton, MI, USA

Nov 072013

Outlook

Low beam passenger side light went out and I replaced the light. Two weeks later the light went out again, I moved the connector and the light came back on. The light worked for two weeks and it went out again. I went to change the bulb and it smelled line burnt plastic. I removed the bulb and the connector was burnt on one of the sides. The wire was barely hanging on the side the connector was burnt. The wire harness seems very flimsy and very poor quality. I'm very surprised and disappointed of the poor quality of the wiring harness. This can also possibly be a safety hazard.

- Winters, CA, USA

Nov 142012

Outlook 6-cyl

Since owning the vehicle for 20 months, the drivers side low beam headlamp has burned out 3 times and the passenger side 1 time.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jun 222013

Outlook 6-cyl

While driving on the tollway, all electrical parts on instrument panel went completely out, and the air conditioner stopped blowing, and the radio went out. Even the speedometer stopped displaying. The entire instrument panel showed nothing. The service technician at jupiter Chevrolet in dallas charged us $770 to repair a wiring harness that they said was ruined due to a leak in a drainage hose in the sunroof and that this is common with this vehicle. I don't understand why there is no recall. This could have been very dangerous. Water had leaked into the passenger floor board as well.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 012013

Outlook 6-cyl

In the past few months I have had to change my passenger side head lamp. The first time it worked for about 3 weeks then went out again. I had it changed and it lasted about 10 days that time. This last time it only lasted about 6 hours before it burned out again.

- Phillipsburg, KS, USA

Apr 132013

Outlook 6-cyl

Last night when I went to drive my vehicle I noticed the left front low beam headlight was not working. Took vehicle in to have the light bulb changed and the technician said the bulb socket/wiring was burnt and the bulb was damaged. They said I would need a new bulb and low beam headlight wiring harness. This is the third time this part has failed since the vehicle was new. The dealership replaced both the right and left side harnesses when the vehicle was under warranty and the left side harness and bulb was replaced last year approx. 10,000 miles ago and now it is burnt up again. I feel this part is defective and could cause a fire. GM should do something to upgrade the wiring harness so this problem does not continue.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Feb 152013

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight harness burned out.

- Waunakee, WI, USA

Feb 272013

Outlook 6-cyl

I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook. One day I was driving and notice I had a headlight out. Went to change the bulb and saw that the wire harness was melted. From reading on the internet I saw that a lot of people are having the same problem.

- Spring, TX, USA

Mar 182010

Outlook

This is the third time in 2 years I've had a headlight failure with my 2008 Saturn Outlook. First incident occurred in 2010, and most recently a few days ago in Jan 2013. There should be no reason for these headlights to fail so frequently. They need to be improved so it does not keep happening. It is a costly repair and could be dangerous if both fail while driving.

- Parlin, NJ, USA

Apr 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

The low beam headlight went out on the vehicle. I went to autozone to purchase the headlight replacement when I was told that it could possibly be two different headlights that I would need to bring the broken one so they can sell me a replacement. I found out that it is not very easy to replace the headlight on this vehicle as several other parts have to be removed in order to get to the headlight connector. I found instructions and several complaints from owners indicating they have replaced the headlight several times during the year only to be told by dealers that the harness/connector are burned and that is the cause of the problem. I proceeded to remove the underliner of the tire to get to the headlight on my vehicle. As suspected, the connector and wire harness were burned. I found several service bulletins instructing dealers to "check and replace" the harness and headlight on these vehicles. When I called Saturn I was informed that the dealership had replaced the headlight in my vehicle on April 2011...however they never informed me of this change. Right now my wife is driving this vehicle without a headlight as Saturn is refusing to replace the burned harness that I found on the car. This is not only a safety issue, but a fire hazard on the vehicle. This should be a mandatory recall by now....it is not just happening on Saturn Outlooks, it is also happening on GMC acadias which is exactly the same car.....

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 262010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger low-beam headlight went out on the 2008 Saturn Outlook at 48,000 miles. I replaced it and the bulb blew out again only two weeks later. I then discovered the wiring harness had melted. Replacement bulbs continue to blow because of the defective wiring harness.

- Martinton, IL, USA

Aug 012012

Outlook

The passenger side running light went out. I had the bulb replaced. About a month later the same light went out again. I had the light taken out and was told the wiring harness was melted and had caused the bulb to go out. So I now have to replace the wiring harness for that side. I have also been told by other Saturn Outlook owners that is a common problem with most of them.

- Spanish Fork, UT, USA