NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 2 of 12)

2008 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Aug 212012

Outlook

My passenger side headlight suddenly went out, about the same time my heat sensor began reading high as if vehicle was overheating. I took it to the dealer and they could not recreate problem with overheating and they replaced the projector beam. Now a month later im having the same exact problems only now I notice a coolant leak. I replaced coolant and car still acts like its overheating, also the headlight is once again out.

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jul 282012

Outlook 6-cyl

The drivers side headlamp assembly overheated and melted causing the light to fail. This is the second time this happened with this automobile. The last incident was the passenger side headlamp assembly same exact thing happened overheated and melted causing light to fail.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Jun 122012

Outlook

Front headlight harnesses are melting. No headlight working because of wires melting.

- Duson, LA, USA

Jun 122012

- Duson, LA, USA

Nov 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

I bought a used 2008 Saturn Outlook. The passenger side head light/daytime light went out. Changed the bulb and check the fuse in November 2011 and it went out again in February 2012. The mechanic has told me that this was due to a short in the headlight and not the wiring harness. I have not had to change a headlight/daytime light in any of my prior vehicles and now I'm on my 3rd replacement for this headlight in less than 6 months--something is not right!

- Hoffman Estates, IL, USA

Dec 172011

Outlook

Headlamp on drivers side low beam not working.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jul 132010

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side wiring harness melted. Cost me $200 dollars to repair. Not covered under extended warranty. Have studied and found that I can probably expect this to happen again. Am worried about future expense and, or fire...... would appreciate your assistance. Thank you in advance.

- Chiefland, FL, USA

Sep 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

We own two 2008 Saturn Outlooks. Both had headlight failures in the first 6 months of ownership. Both had the headlight assemblies replaced. After approximately 3 years of ownership the headlights (non-brights) on both are failing, and it is not the bulbs. Mechanic "jiggles" the wires and headlights come on only to fail less than a week later. Numerous online searches show the harness to be at fault, with indications that the replacement part has been re-engineering to address the known defect.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Nov 162011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlight wire harness arcs and causes light to fail. Replacing lightbulb temporarily fixes issue. Light fails and causes loss of light while driving at night. Also, potential fire hazard.

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 062011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger side low beam headlight harness (female socket) melted.

- West Chester, OH, USA

Jan 012011

Outlook

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the driver's side headlight shut off while driving 75 mph. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the wiring harness needed to be replaced. The wiring harness was replaced under warranty. The same failure occurred on the front passenger side approximately eleven months later. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer to have the failure repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered to cover half of the expenses. The failure mileage was 55,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Berthoud, CO, USA

Sep 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

In early September, my front passenger side headlight was not working. Upon inspection by a local mechanic, the wiring harness was melted. I understand that several other Saturn Outlook owners have reported the same problem. Electrical tape was applied and a new bulb was installed. Two months later, the problem occurred again.

- Searingtown, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Outlook

Headlight wiring on the Saturn Outlook models fails prematurely as the housing melts and causing the headlights to fail. This is a safety issue for the lights, could be a fire hazard, however, I have not experienced that. I would think this impacts the Chevy traverse and GMC acadia too.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 032011

Outlook 6-cyl

Passenger headlight fails intermittently. Appears to be due not to the bulb, but due to sub-grade wiring harness that melts over time.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 022010

Outlook 6-cyl

Front headlight on right side stopped working, replaced low beam bulb, lasted about 2 weeks, replaced it a 2nd time, again lasting about 1 week. Brought to dealer, they stated that it was a faulty wiring harness to the head light and is not covered under warranty. Brought vehicle to another dealer, who replaced wiring harness on right side under warranty. Now the left side is out and replaced bulb that lasted 1 day. Wiring harness needs replacement, which I am told is excess of $500. As warranty is now expired. Both wiring harnesses should have been replaced at the same time, GM knows of this problem and should have a recall of all model with these lighting problems.

- Smithown, NY, USA

Nov 192011

Outlook 6-cyl

The passenger side headlight is not functioning. I have checked into replacing it and it will cost $100 for one replacement headlamp! I have also heard there is a problem with the wiring harness for this make/model/year, and it is very difficult to even access the light assembly. This is ridiculous.

- Germantown Hills, IL, USA

Nov 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

At approximately 35000 miles, the passenger side low beam headlamp stopped lighting. I assumed that the headlamp had blown, and left it alone until my state inspection was due, 2 months later. When I finally attempted to replace the bulb, I learned that the bulb was fine, but the harness had failed, and my 36000 mile warranty had expired.closer inspection revealed that the wiring harness on the passenger side low beam headlamp had melted, where the wires enter into the lamp base, and are held into the base with a poured plastic "backlight" type sealer, like the type seen poured over circuit boards, to prevent tampering. I accessed that socket, and cut the factory socket off of the wire harness. I replaced the socket with one that I purchased online, which was of a much heavier gauge than the inferior gauge of wire that came from the factory. It is now 1 year later, and the exact same thing has occurred on the driver's side. When I hold the factory lamp socket in my hand, and bend the wires at the socket base, the bulb works only intermittently, as if the copper wire inside the insulation has degraded so severely that a good contact can no longer be maintained. I have not yet ordered a replacement socket for the driver's side, and dread the labor that is involved in removing the tire, dropping the fender cowl, cutting the factory harness away from the factory lamp base, and rewiring the new lamp base to the factory harness.it is labor intensive, and it is dangerous. It is clear to me that the heat build up from the bulb, in combination with the undersized wiring entering the base, has created a melt hazard, which subsequently allows moisture into the copper strand wire, allowing the copper to corrode significantly, and ultimately the copper disintegrates completely, losing its connection altogether.

- Bensalem, PA, USA

Oct 012011

Outlook

The passenger headlight burned out and was replaced. Two weeks later the same light burned out. This time all the wiring was pulled out and it was discovered that the wiring harness was melted. Looking on online it has been shown to be a big problem. As I am driving my 3 children around, I would like my headlights to work and not be melting in my car. Please have GMC fix this problem. A car that cost as much as mine should have working lights and non-melting parts.

- Moore, SC, USA

Nov 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

The headlight burned out. When I went to replace it I noticed the wire was burnt. After reading on the internet, many people have this problem with Saturn Outlook. Should be a recall. I have 40, 000 miles and my warranty just expired. This is my wife's car, please don't wait until there is a fire or someone is injured to do a recall.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Nov 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlamp failed, wiring melted. Next time the car may go up in flames. Dangerous!!!!!

- Reno, NV, USA