NHTSA — Exterior Lighting Problems

2008 Saturn Outlook (Page 3 of 12)

2008 Saturn Outlook lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

Nov 102011

Outlook 6-cyl

Discovered the drivers side harness had melted when changing the dim headlamp.

- Mount Horeb, WI, USA

Nov 262009

Outlook

The headlamp on my 2008 Saturn Outlook has gone out multiple times over the last two years that I have owned the vehicle. I have had to have the wiring harness replaced more than 3 times. The first time the new harness lasted a couple of months. The last two times, it only lasted about a week before burning up again. The harness that holds the lamp gets too hot and melts which is an electrical safety issue.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Oct 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Head light has burned out, we were told it was faulty wiring in the assembly.

- Concord, NC, USA

Dec 102010

Outlook 6-cyl

My 2008 Saturn Outlook lost both headlights in December 2010 within a couple of days of each other. The dealer informed us the bulbs had burned out and when they burned out they burned/corroded the wiring harnesses connected to them, necessitating a $200 repair. Less than a year later, in November 2011, the right headlight went out again. When we took it to the dealer on November 4, 2011, they informed us the bulb had burned out and the harness had burned out again, and said the repair would be more than $200. We have seen this problem documented by many Saturn owners on Saturn fan sites, and also read to contact NHTSA to notify you of this common and potentially dangerous safety problem with the Saturn Outlook so that you could consider ordering GM to recall these vehicles. I hope you will order a recall and order GM to solve an unnecessary design problem that is a nuisance at best and could potentially lead to a fire or lost visibility that could result in accidents at worst. Thank you for your consideration.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 022011

Outlook 6-cyl

Complete loss of low beam headlights under similar or identical circumstances as other voqs and various websites forums. Inspection revealed melted wiring harness connectors inside the headlamp assembly at the low beam headlamp bulb. Vehicle date of manufacture 10-2007. No known body work. Passenger low beam headlight connector is not melted as bad as the driver side low beam headlight connector. Appears to be coming predominantly from the black wire going into the connector. All insulation is melted away. Connector melted and brittle that it fell apart removing the bulb. Bulb part # appears to be H11, 12V 55W U 64211 L+dot. Osram. Germany E1 25S. W0 Q3. Driver head light assembly casting date September 2007. Part number 25876413, which appears to have been superseded. Appears manufactured under automotive lighting with number LH hal 6143101907C2824. The inside connector area of the bulb itself also appears melted. The bulb is available for inspection. The headlamp assembly is still in use on the vehicle after receiving a pigtail splice repair and new bulb. The passenger side headlamp is now working and has received no repairs. Updated IVOQ 11/29/11

- Fuquay Varina , NC, USA

Oct 122011

Outlook 6-cyl

The drivers side headlamp failed. I purchased a new lamp with a direct replacement, same wattage and type. During replacement, I noticed that the connector was discolored and plastic was starting to melt. I cleaned the connector and replaced the lamp. Two weeks later the same lamp failed. The connector was melted further, rendering it unusable. I had to replace the connector assembly. The wire is very thin and I have read other reports that the wires had melted.

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Sep 172011

Outlook 6-cyl

My passenger headlight doens't work replace headlight (not an easy task) still didn't work. Called the dealer they said would have to take off the bumper to replace the light. I can't understand why should need to take the car to dealer for replacement of a light. Have read about the sme problems people sre having with there lights. The harness apparently burned out and now it will cost a small fortune to get fixed since I'm out of warrantee. Please look into it is very dangerous to have the light to go out while driving. Thank you. Think there should be a recall to have the harness replaced. Thanks

- Merrick, NY, USA

Oct 262011

Outlook 6-cyl

The headlights went out while I was driving home in the early evening, reducing my visability and the ability for others to see my vehicle. Fortunately, it wasn't night yet and I was still able to navigate home, however had it been just an hour later it would have been completely dark and siginificantly more unsafe for this incident to have occurred. The wiring harness is a known defect by GM and steps should be taken to remedy it. This can create unsafe road conditions for Saturn Outlook drivers.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 012011

Outlook

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that the exterior headlights were replaced numerous times. The dealer diagnosed that the wires had melted, causing a short. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was repaired, but the defect recurred. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 45,000.

- Oswego, IL, USA

Jul 072010

Outlook 6-cyl

Headlight on drivers side has failed 5 times since 7/7/2010. Awful to change. Must remove tire & fender cover. It must be a widespread problem since a company named, "racing lab" offers an upgrade kit heavy duty model kyo-pnp-wh-H11. The upgrade kit offers protection from factory headlight connector from melting and burning out the halogen headlight bulb.

- Sorrento, LA, USA

Jul 012011

Outlook 6-cyl

Head lamp wiring harness was melted due to poor wiring and thin wires.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Jul 052011

Outlook 6-cyl

My right headlight burned out and we replaced it after a huge struggle as it is very difficult to get to. Then about a month later, my left headlight burned out, so we replaced it with the same degree of difficulty. However, when I replaced this one, the harness (?) or component you put the bulb in appeared black and "burnt". my headlight worked fine for about a week and it burned out again. I hate to keep replacing headlights if there is a problem with the harness, which is evident by searching on the internet for information about replacing the headlights in the Saturn Outlooks. It takes a great deal of time and effort just to get to the bulb changed only to have it continue to burn out after a very short period of time. I really believe there should be a recall on these headlight harnesses as the company should fix the problem. I have contacted Saturn and was told I would have to pay to take it to a GMC dealer and have an evaluation done on the vehicle. I am very upset with GM about this.

- Marion, LA, USA

Oct 082011

Outlook 6-cyl

Upon inspection, I noticed that the passenger front head lamp was inoperative. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a technician concluded that wiring harness had melted and caused the bulb to fail. He then added that the other head lamp would soon fail. The vehicle was repaired at an expense of$ $360. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Oct 182011

Outlook 6-cyl

I have had to replace the headlight wiring harness 4 times in 5 years because the wiring melts.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 262011

Outlook 6-cyl

On 8/26/2011, I replaced my drivers side headlight bulb and noticed a burnt wire smell but did not notice anything visually, approximately one month later I noticed that my light was out again the next day I bought a new bulb. I started the process of changing out the bulb but noticed it was back on so I stopped. A few days later the bulb was out again so I changed the bulb and noticed that the burnt smell was very bad and the plug on the wire harness and the wire insulation had melted. I have read many complaints for this issue at www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php"T=165895&goto=nextoldest, www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php"topic=818.80 and others. Please look into this issue before someone is injured.

- Macon, GA, USA

May 132011

Outlook 6-cyl

Driver side headlamp went out pulling out of driveway. Took vehicle to dealer who informed us it was a known issue with the headlamp harness not bulb. Harness was melted and scorched. Ordered new "improved" harness and replaced. Passenger side harness experienced same failure ordered new "improved" harness and replaced in July. All repairs and replacement cost were not covered under warranty and I had to pay for all out of pocket costs. On October 3rd passenger side harness burned out again. Have to purchase new part and replace for the 3rd time. This could have been very dangerous it if happened while driving at night. The fact that harness is scorched and melting also concerns me. I am afraid of the risk posed to myself and my family as we use this vehicle to Transport our 2 young children daily.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

May 192010

Outlook 6-cyl

First left headlight was going in and out. Was pulled over by police who said it was out. Turned car off then on and light came on. Took it to dealer was replaced for malfunction, defect repaired for free at 20000 miles. Then parked car nose first. Was unable to reverse car out of parking space. Had to wait for car in front to move to so I could drive out forward only. Car drove forward for 1 week, then completely was unable to drive. Was towed to dealer at 39000 miles and transmission had to be replaced for free, covered by warranty. Then right headlight was going in and out at 44000 miles. Not covered. Fixed for $300. Then at that time was told powersteering unit leaking and needed to be replaced for approx $800. Now engine light is on. This car is the worse car I ever had, and I had many. What next. My 1999 Ford Windstar is a better car..

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 302011

Outlook

Headlight keeps burning out. I believe it is the wiring harness.

- Willow Spring, NC, USA

Aug 222011

Outlook 6-cyl

My Saturn Outlook only has 44,000 miles on it and the passenger side headlight went out. Got a replacement bulb from dealership - changed it - and the light was out after a week and a half. Went back to dealership to buy another bulb and when switching it out - noticed that the wiring harness was melted. Looked online only to find that this is a common problem with this vehicle and it should be recalled - as the danger of a fire is a high risk and having working headlights is the law.

- Elkton, SD, USA

Jul 242008

Outlook

Low beam headlight, passenger side, stopped working, dealer found it to be an intermittent problem, lights came back on. Listed as a wire harness issue. Three months later, same issue. This issue has occured numerous times now both headlights are out. Both headlights are still good, checked on another GM vehicle ( acadia ). fuse is good, no connectivity between harness and light, no power at end of harness. This is an ongoing problem. Saturn is out of business, dealer refuses to fix without charging a small fortune of money. Low beams are still out.

- Jackson, NJ, USA