2008 Saturn Outlook steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Saturn Outlook:

2008 Saturn Outlook Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 082014

Outlook 6-cyl

Noticed while driving at any speed that slight movement of the steering wheel right or left caused a whining noise in the steering column area. Only a few days later I noticed the car bucking when shifting in the lower gears after accelerating from a stop. Two days after the lower gear shifting issues, I noticed the car stuttered and bucked when I shifted into reverse and attempted to back into my driveway. I brought the car in for service and was told the car threw a code - P0018 - which means "crank to cam intake", along with saying the rack and pinion is leaking and could be fixed at a cost of $1700. And the transmission is shot and they recommended bringing to a local transmission shop to get the best cost/service. I have no idea what that will cost. The car only has 54K miles on it. Our 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty expired in September 2013. This could have been a major safety issue. Now it appears the repairs will cost a third of what the car is currently worth. Those systems should not fail after such low mileage.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 202013

Outlook 6-cyl

I had just pulled out on a interstate highway, and the vehicle acted like it did not want to shift gears. The check engine light came on and I could not accelerate any faster than 40 mph. I pulled off the side of the road and waited on a tow vehicle. The steering has been very stiff also in the last few months.

- Delbarton, WV, USA

Oct 012013

While driving my car, I noticed the stabiltrak error message on the dash and a message to get my brakes serviced. I thought it would go away, but keep coming up. Took the car into the dealership and have to have the stabiltrak replaced. I have looked online and noticed that this is an issue with a lot of people. Seems like it should be looked into by GM. Can cause major problems with the car like turning over!

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 092013

Outlook 6-cyl

Our Saturn Outlook has had problems that have accumulated more recently that include the steering box failing (audible popping when near neutral steering position), the electronic stability control and brake simultaneous lights with feedback in the brake pedals (even when ABS is not active), and a very annoying weather/water leak from an unknown source that is soaking the passenger carpet after every single rain. None of these items were covered under warranty, and I'm returning the car for the second time tomorrow to the dealership to investigate the leak (again) and the stability control. I already replaced the steering box, out of pocket, for over $1000. We just paid the car off and bought it new in 2008. It barely has 50,000 miles on it, and this is not a quality product. The ride, handling, interior features/space are outstanding, but there are too many faults for such a new(er) car. I also replaced the water pump a few months ago, but that was at the tail end of my warranty (now expired). After only 5 years and 50,000 miles, I'm looking at expensive monthly payments for a new vehicle to replace what should have lasted at least another 5 years comfortably without major defects. It's no wonder Saturn went out of business and that GM has nearly failed so many times...

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jul 172012

Outlook 6-cyl

On our 08 Outlook, the power steering just "gave out", whenever it felt like- be in the middle of a sharp turn, U turn, or going on/off an exit ramp. There was no warning (groaning, whining, etc. From the pump), you suddenly would lose power steering. This is extremely dangerous. I contacted the dealership- it apparently wasn't covered under the power train ("???why"). I tried all of their "fixes"- flushing the fluid out with new, putting synthetic in, filling slightly above as recommended. It finally boiled down to a new power steering pump. Ridiculous!

- Manilla, IA, USA

Jun 132013

Outlook 6-cyl

While in a stopped position, I tried to accelerate and my transmission would not go into gear. I was stuck not being able to pull over to get out of traffic, because my car wouldn't go into gear. I put it into park, then back into drive several times, and I finally got it to creep enough in low gear to get it to the side of the road. This could have been a disaster if I were trying to pull out into traffic. The car was in the shop prior due to the transmission slipping. This was not covered and cost me $3000. I am still not sure this corrected the problem and I don't feel safe in this car. This car has been in the shop several times for a front leak at the driver's door from the sunroof, which still leaks with heavy rain. Also, the constant squealing when turning the wheel which no mechanic will acknowledge. Nothing has ever been done to correct this. I assume it is the power steering pump. The car doesn't have good acceleration power compared to any other SUV model. It drags with no pick up.

- Stevensville, MD, USA

Mar 182010

Outlook 6-cyl

Original owner, under warranty at 21,036 miles, had their dealership (mark christopher auto center, Ontario, ca 91764) diagnose and confirm/replace internal rivets loose, necessary to replace defective steering column assembly, 03/18/2010. We are the second owner, and our dealership, polar chev of white bear lake, mn 55110, also recommends again replacing this defective steering column assembly at an expense of approximately $1,600, @ 62,000 miles. We feel GM knew of this defect based on other complaints online (ie. and just to name a few). We feel we should not have to pay for the replacement and GM has put us along with others, in a potentially dangerous driving situation!

- Dellwood, MN, USA

Mar 282013

Outlook 6-cyl

Power steering pump was first replaced due to failure in 10/2011. Power steering pump has again failed and now requires replacement of the pump, hoses, and steering rack due to the damage caused by failed pump at a cost of $1,700. Technician advised that the parts have to be ordered from Canada and will take up to 3 weeks to come in!! the first replacement pump's 1 year warranty expired, so once again, I'm paying out of pocket to replace this part as a result of a "known problem." Last fall I had an issue with the sunroof leaking into the cabin of the car due to another "known problem." GM needs to step up to the plate and recall these vehicles to correct these "known problems."

- Torrington, CT, USA

Oct 012012

Steering suddenly without warning became very stiff. Unable to complete turn. Had to slam on brakes to avoid an accident. Forced to urgently replace power steering unit at great expense. This is a safety issue and should be investigated with potential for recall or reimbursement for replacement expense.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 012012

Outlook 6-cyl

Loud noise emitting from hood while driving in the past, then while driving steering became very stiff making it impossible to steer my car safely. I contacted GM customer care who informed me that there is not a current recall on the steering although after researching I have found that there have been numerous complaints about the steering problems leading to unsafe driving. I beg you to investigate the numerous complaints and repair records from GM about the excessive number of complaints, accidents and injuries caused by the defective steering mechanism. Thank you!

- Cororna, CA, USA

Nov 082008

Outlook 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Saturn Outlook. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the vehicle would lose power and downshift with an abnormal increase in rpms. The failure was experienced numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer several times. The dealer updated the transmission module but the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to lose power with a significant loss of fuel mileage. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000 and the failure mileage was 50,000...updated 07/12/12 the consumer stated the sensor camshaft, cylinder head, battery, windshield wiper motor, air bag wiring harness, power steering rack and gear, front pads and rotors, gaskets for intake manifold, gasket for rear valve cover, right front strut, both strut mounts, engine mounts, left front stabilizer link, headlight harness, timing belt cover seal, exhaust stud, power steering pump, hose and clamp, all had to be replaced. Updated 10/02/12

- Danbury , CT, USA

May 192010

Outlook 6-cyl

First left headlight was going in and out. Was pulled over by police who said it was out. Turned car off then on and light came on. Took it to dealer was replaced for malfunction, defect repaired for free at 20000 miles. Then parked car nose first. Was unable to reverse car out of parking space. Had to wait for car in front to move to so I could drive out forward only. Car drove forward for 1 week, then completely was unable to drive. Was towed to dealer at 39000 miles and transmission had to be replaced for free, covered by warranty. Then right headlight was going in and out at 44000 miles. Not covered. Fixed for $300. Then at that time was told powersteering unit leaking and needed to be replaced for approx $800. Now engine light is on. This car is the worse car I ever had, and I had many. What next. My 1999 Ford Windstar is a better car..

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jan 012011

Vehicle loses power steering at different and unknown times. Either from a stop or trying to turn a corner, the power steering quits working and makes it very difficult to turn, sometimes causing me to enter the next lane of traffic. There is no warning as to when this will happen, or at what exact speed. This has never happened at speeds above 40.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

Apr 262008

Since I leased this vehicle, I have had to return it to the dealership a total of 6 times. My vehicle has been out of service for repairs for approximately 20 calendar days. The current mileage on my vehicle is 18,654. My vehicle has had problems with steering, transmission, and the electric seat, but the main reason that the vehicle was brought in for repair on each of the six visits is as follows: When raining, water appears in the following locations: (a) passenger side, 2nd column; (B) passenger side, directly below glove compartment; (C) passenger side, floor area; (D) passenger side door, floor area directly below door; (E) passenger side windshield, dropping from top of windshield area onto dashboard; (F) passenger side seatbelt -- completely soaking wet; (G) passenger side airbag plug, water dripping out from edges; (H) driver side seatbelt; (I) driver side window. Please note that this does not happen each and every time it rains; it happens every 2 to 4 times it rains. The last time it was brought in to Saturn, smoke was pouring out from below the glove compartment and there was a very bad "electrical" type of smell. The headliner has been removed a couple of times; they have verified that there is dampness and a water leak above the headliner, but they cannot replicate or determine the source of the leaking. The dealership has informed that at this point they can do nothing further to determine the source of the leak. They state that an engineer from Saturn must look at the vehicle to attempt to determine the problem. I have written to Saturn and they are sending someone out to look at it next week. If it cannot be repaired, I am instituting lemon law proceedings. The car reeks of mildew.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Mar 212009

Saturn 2008 Outlook steering issues. Loud thumping/clunking/grinding noise heard when making a turn. Had it at the dealer 3 times now, they can't duplicate the issues so nothing has been done to repair. When this happens the car skips when trying to turn, I never know when this is going to happen, but it is scary when it does. I am waiting for it not to make the turn and the result being an accident and injuries. From what I have read online, there are a lot of issues with the steering and in most cases the car being returned after multiple trips to dealership without repair and stating the problem can not be duplicated. My dealership has suggested we open a case with GM. Last time of steering issue was 3/21/09, just got car back today with no repair.

- Vestavia, AL, USA