2005 Saturn Relay fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Relay:

2005 Saturn Relay Owner Comments

Apr 242014

Relay 6-cyl

Every time we fill up with fuel, the gas gauge shows empty, and the display tells us we have low fuel. After awhile the gauge will go to full, then become erratic and show us different fuel levels. It takes quite a while for the gauge to give an actual reading. I recommend that this vehicle be put on the recall list for the fuel sensor problem that other GM vehicles have had.

- Abbotsford, WI, USA

Oct 152006

Relay 6-cyl

: the contact stated when the vehicle was facing down hill moving or parked, with 1/4 of a tank of gas or less, the fuel gauge indicator needle would move toward empty and fuel would not flow to the engine causing a problem starting the vehicle. Also, this caused the vehicle to stall while the vehicle moved down hill. The sales/service dealer and manufacturer were notified, and the contact was informed by both the service dealer and the manufacturer, that the design of the vehicle required at least a half full tank of fuel to prevent engine failure. Updated 1/19/2007 -

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 212005

Purchased 2005 Saturn Relay to get better gas mileage than previously owned Yukon @ 11 mpg, after in depth discussion with lafayette la. Saturn dealership salesman about the reason for new car purchase. Asked if the sticker info of 18 mpg (with a stated range of 15-21) city was reliable. I was adamantly assured that it was. After first 22 gallons used, yielded app. 12.6 mpg- this vehicle had app. 2600 miles at time of purchase. I asked for another Relay after app. 2 wks and first tank of gas, (20 gallons) yielded 11.9 mpg. Saturn tested the vehicle by driving 20 miles in traffic and filled tank again X 2 and got app 16-17 mpg. I stated that this testing did not replicate using almost an entire tank of gas. They recorded my gas mileage after the next fill up, I drove a few days in the city going app 163 miles and used 13.798 gallons, yielding 11.8 mpg. The local dealership recommended I take the problem to the Saturn corporation customer service. Saturn customer service assured me that the documentation of my complaint would be passed on the appropriate parties but there was nothing that could be done for me.

- Lafayette, LA, USA