2005 Saturn Relay transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Relay:

2005 Saturn Relay Owner Comments

Apr 222016

I had noticed the transmission issue late 2015 (slipping and hard shifting) however, because I figured it was going to be an expensive repair. I had to have my car serviced once I received my tax refund. Once I was finally able to go in for service on 2/24/16 I had a front wheel rod repair and the transmission checked. During that visit my mechanic only recommended a routine transmission service. Once I saved enough money for the transmission service and an alignment I returned on 4/22/26. The transmission was serviced, fluid drained and replaced, filter replaced. After which the transmission issue hard shifting issue was worse. However, it would happen for 3 or so days, be normal for a couple and then act up again. I have had it back to the mechanic three times, once they couldn't feel the shifting issue, the second time they felt it but could not find an issue after a thorough inspection of the transmission. On the third visit the mechanic still could not find any issue, replaced the transmission fluid and filter AGAIN in hopes that the problem would be resolved. STILL NOT RESOLVED. As I left the mechanic, the problem started. I'm at a loss. If my mechanic cannot find out what is wrong and there is clearly an issue, what do you do?

- , Pocatello, ID, USA

May 052012

After stopping at a light, the Relay won't accelerate properly. I'll step on the gas and I'll hear the engine revving, but the van won't go anywhere. After a couple of seconds, the transmission will engage and the vehicle will jerk forward. What's tricky is that the problem is completely random. Sometimes it slips, sometimes it doesn't so we are unable to reliably recreate the problem for any mechanic and we can't find a solution. And it's just getting worse and more frequent over time.

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada