2004 Saturn Vue drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Saturn Vue:

2004 Saturn Vue Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 062008

Vue 4-cyl

Check engine light went on and at the same time a visible loss in acceleration was noticed at all times when taken off. Also a whining noise was heard coming from the engine compartment idling and when moving. Taken in to the dealership, a slipping transmission was diagnosed and it was replaced for another (different number) original GM transmission part number, cooler flushed, tcm calibrated. A charge for $ 5324 was paid for the replacement, no extended warranty was available any longer, although forced to buy when the vehicle was purchased.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Dec 272011

Vue 4-cyl

Started having transmission problems about a month ago. I went online to find that the transmission I have is a known problem for Saturn. I called Saturn and they informed me that nothing could be done for me. I then called GM and they informed me that they would pay half of the trans cost or give me 5000 for new GM vehicle. That's not an option cause this car is paid off and don't want car payments at this time. My issue is if Saturn or GM knows about this problem why aren't they doing anything about it and what do I need to do to get this solved and get a new transmission in my vehicle. My vehicle only has 78*** miles on it I should not have to be worrying about this so soon. Thank you for your time and help.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Mar 032011

Vue 4-cyl

To start with it started shuttering when it would shift in the lower gears. As time went on it got where it didn't want to shift out of first and second gear. However one morning I was on my way to a doctors appointment, I stopped filled up with gas and get some coffee and as I returned for my destination I pulled out of the store and was waiting on it to shift and something popped and I had to get off the road because it lost all power.I have since been told that there is no transmissions to be found because there is so many problems with the same vehicle and the same part ! so how many complaints does it take for a recall to be investigated? I'm broke and cant afford to put any more money into a vehicle still paying for and on a fixed income.

- Rutherfordton, NC, USA

May 172011

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Vue. The contact was driving 30 mph when the vehicle stalled without warning. The instrument panel lights illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who performed a diagnosed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure was located at the transmission, which would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and denied any assistance with repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 142,000.

- Port Orange , FL, USA

May 112011

Vue 4-cyl

The transmission is faulty, and costs more to repair than the price of the entire vehicle.

- Port Orange, FL, USA

Oct 012011

Vue 6-cyl

At slower speeds when cold the 2004 AWD V6 Saturn Vue vehicle changed rpms (200-300rpm) with a steady pedal and load. The symptoms appeared to get better after driving for 15-20min. My repair shop first thought an eternal valve and then transmission software programming.

- Pinckney, MI, USA

Mar 042011

My 2004 Saturn Vue AWD, equipped with a 5-speed automatic transmission (engine/transmission supplied to GM by Honda) has 44,550 original miles on the odometer when I recently experienced a transmission vibration or shaking motion (judder or shudder) while driving at speeds between 20 and 45 mph. GM has issued customer satisfaction program recall 10285 - V2386 in February 2001 for this exact same problem but it only covers 2005, 2006 and 2007 Vues. The recall reprograms the powertrain control module to correct the problem. The exact same engine/transmission is used in the 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 Vues yet GM has chosen to ignore 2004 Vue owners with the problem. I have written to GM's customer & relationship services but their only reply is "your VIN is not covered". someone needs to force GM to acknowledge the 2004 Saturn Vue with the Honda supplied engine/auto transmission has this problem and make them reprogram the 2004 powertrain control module as they have done with the other model years.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 282009

My vehicle has a shudder / vibration in the front end while speeding up between the speeds of 20-45mph. It occurs multiple times per day. I purchased the vehicle used so I cannot be for sure when it started but it has done it ever since I bought the vehicle.

- Sterling, KS, USA

Jul 312009

Vue 4-cyl

2004 Saturn Vue. Consumer states failure of transmission the consumer was driving the vehicle at the time of the failure. However, the vehicle belongs to her aunt.

- Ocean, NJ, USA

Jun 242007

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue that came out of park with no keys in the ignition and my 4yr old son fell out of vehicle and was ran over. We are able to take the key out of the ignition without it being in the "off position" and put the vehicle in neutral, reverse, and drive without applying my foot on the brake. The vehicle has not been repaired and is parked on the advice of my attorneys. The key was removed from the accessory position with the shifter in park. Being in the accessory position allowed the shifter to be moved from park without an application of the brake pedal. *smch

- Antwerp, OH, USA

Oct 012008

Vue 6-cyl

My 2004 Saturn V6 Saturn Vue has started a shudder/growling noise in the drive train that's prevalent in the 20 -25, 30-35mph, 40 -45mph and now at 50-50mph. Or when moderately acceleration or coasting. The vehicle had about 100K miles on it now but started around 70K. I purchased the car at 68,500K miles. The frequency of occurrence is difficult to predict but seems to be happening as often as those specific conditions (mph/coasting) present - does not happen when accelerating quickly. I have taken my car to numerous shops engine repair, transmission, and other well names repair places. All of them tell me my car is fine, but the last shop which did the transmission check on computer said the engine had over 1,000 miss fires. I called to Saturn and there tech said " U don't have to explain no more" it is the torque converter and I have replaced many." If this is such a well occurring problem why isn't Saturn paying for these repairs. My concern now is when it rains and the car stutters I lose all wheel traction going up heels and on turns. I feel like I have no control. I have read online and found may issues that are the same I believe Saturn needs to fix these manufacturing issues and not leave them on the consumer. I spent $10,000 on my Saturn and just finished college I do not have $4,5000 to spend on a car that is only worth $9,000 -$7,000 blue book.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Apr 252009

Vue 4-cyl

A 2004 Saturn Vue with a 2.2 liter 4 cylinder motor with automatic transmission. After a replacement of the vti transmission under the class action lawsuit a severe rattle and vibration under the hood was detected. Upon returning to the dealer for diagnoses, the problem was found to be the timing chain. The dealership says that it is impossible for the 2 problems to be related. I had no problem before the transmission. They are refusing to take care of the problem with the timing chain. I have found there is a recall on the L series car with the same engine for a defect in the timing chain. I have also found there have been many other timing chain issues with the Vue that has the same motor. The dealership fails to recognize that there is a defect with this vehicle. The vehicle has 94,000 miles on it.

- Fishers, IN, USA

Apr 102009

Vue 4-cyl

I have a 2004 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder AWD with a vti transmission. I don't have the VIN on me, it is with the car at the lot right now. I have now had three transmissions just up and die on me. The first time it died, I lost reverse and got it to the dealer before drive went out. The second one went out on me at 3 am and I managed to milk it to safety. This last one I went to go from a stop sign, got going just enough to get me into traffic and it died. I avoided an accident, however I have read a lot of these stories online. This last transmission only has about 30,000 miles on it. The first was serviced at 50,000 and died at 60,000 and the second was serviced at 50,000 and died a week or 2 later.

- Medford, OR, USA

Apr 042008

1. brakes. I have had the front brakes and rotors replaced/cut down on this car on the average of about every 20K. I consider this abnormal wear and before you respond with driving conditions, and my other Saturn sl needed brakes on the average of 60K with the same driving conditions. When I questioned soe they told me that it was my driving habits, but as of the recent events, I have begun to question their diagnosis of any problems related to my car. 2. transmission shifting/wobble/shimmy/vibration. I have complained since new that this transmission has shifted rough, and I was told working as designed. Nobody has been able to find anything wrong yet this problem still exists. 3. tire wear related to recall. I had to request that my vehicle have the recall performed on it. Yet, after doing research and watching my tires wear. Sometimes in less that 15K something I would consider prematurely, even for performance tires, and reading several owner sites my wear is indicative of a service not being performed. 4. wheel bearing wear. I have had to have my front wheel bearings replaced 2X in the last 30K. The first occurrence was at 72K when the first replacement was made, and the 2nd was at 99K it was during the 72K service I complained my rotors warping(since I had 2 sets replaced/cut previously) and I was told it was just worn tires and they would not even consider the brake issue, until I purchased new tires. I purchased new tires and the wobbly sound was louder than now that there was new tires on the vehicle. So then recommended replacing the rotors, when I asked about brake pads they told me it was unnecessary. Seemingly illogical, since you had to remove the brake pads anyway, and tired of arguing I did not push the issue, as I needed my car, and loaner availability seemed to dry up since I was out so far out of the factory warranty.

- Glendale Heights , IL, USA

May 192005

Vue 4-cyl

Owner of 2004 Saturn ati tranny 4 cyl Vue, 3 transmissions failures, 35K, 79K, 130K. Saturn replaced only one, paid for one and then gave the vehicle away to the purple heart group. Is there a car class action lawsuit I can file with?

- Pearland, TX, USA

Jun 272007

Vue 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Saturn Vue. On June 27, 2007, while driving approximately 60 to 70 mph, the gear cable failed. The contact called 911 and the dispatcher instructed her on how to stop the vehicle before a crash occurred. The vehicle has had many failures since it was purchased and was previously repaired under a recall for the suspension. One week ago, the horn sounded on its own at 2 am. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they found a defect in the horn and air bags. The recall number was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 37,000.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Jan 082005

2004 Saturn Vue customer states that the transmission had to be replaced six months of ownership* the transmission slipped and the vehicle would not move when trying to move from a stopped position. The transmission has been replaced, however the consumer continued to experience problems. The hood latch was replaced.

- Waco, TX, USA

May 152005

Vue 4-cyl

Driver had the vehicle's cruise turned on most of the trip, with a speedometer reading of 67-72mph. Around tomah, Wisconsin, the driver planned to exit/attempted to turn off the vehicle's cruise. Driver depressed the cruise button to turn off the cruise, the no response. The driver went to depress/engage the clutch, and found that the clutch was stuck and did not respond/waited a few seconds, tried the clutch again, this time getting a response. Driver's trip continued (with the cruise on) and traffic was congested. The driver had slowed the vehicle down using the cruise & remembers a speedometer reading of 60mph. Tried to turn off the cruise button. The cruise failed to respond or shut off as she used her left foot to engage/push in the clutch with absolutely no response. Driver immediately put her foot on the brake. No response. Both the clutch and the brake pedal were locked/stuck and did not respond to the application of pressure applied by the driver's feet. Driver tried to use both feet on the brakes -no response. Neither the clutch or brakes responded. Driver swerved to the left and the vehicle spun across the highway as the driver applied pressure to the brakes and grasped the wheel. The vehicle traveled off the road and into the ground on the right side of the highway. The went through a ditch & recalls front end hitting an embankment and the vehicle then began a series of flips and rolls. After hitting the embankment with the front end of her car, the passenger or right hand side of the vehicle slammed into something (utility pole) and began an upside down flip that continued with at least three rolls. At the conclusion of the series of rolls, the driver landed upside down before the car flipped again and landed right sight up, with the front end facing the highway. Airbags did not deploy.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Dec 152003

Vue 6-cyl

Random obd code P0571 cruise/brake switch malfunction since purchasing the vehicle on 6 Dec 03. The switch has been replaced. The following has been checked switch alignment, connectors. Numerous failures currently waiting since 29 Jan on engineer to look at freeze frame data from the computer.

- San Diego, CA, USA