NHTSA — Steering Problems

2005 Saturn Vue steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Saturn Vue:

2005 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

May 012015

Vue

My 2005 Saturn Vue has had problems for years with the steering wheel locking after parking and turning it off, such that it takes quite a bit of "jiggling" of the wheel in order to enable the key to turn in the ignition column. Additionally, the key is able to be removed while on. I had not thought to see if it was recalled, but was told that my father's 2003 Saturn Vue did have the steering/ignition column recalled and replaced for exactly the same issues as I am experiencing.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Mar 202014

Vue 6-cyl

Driving to Maryland from charlotte nc. I was on the hwy going approx. 65. car completely shut off, no noise, no warning. As the car slowed down, I coasted to the side of the hwy to a stop. Looked down at the gear shift, it was in drive. The ignition was in the on position. I put on the break and put the car in park and shut off the ignition. Waiting a few seconds, I turned the key. The car started up and the chime went off. It was the chime that the car makes when you open the door and the keys are still in the ignition.( a series of quick dings) I didn't open the door. All I did was start the car up. I continued, no problem. The same thing happened again on Saturday November 29th, 2014 on the highway going around the same speed. The car jerked slightly and shut off. This time it was at night. I coasted to the exit that was coming up. Had trouble steering because the steering went out, head lights dimmed. Car slowly came to a stop at the top of the exit. Same situation. Ignition on, car in drive. I put my foot on the break and put the car in park and turned the ignition off. Turned the ignition back on. Car started up and the chime that goes off if you open up the door with the keys still in the ignition, went off again. The same as before.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 112014

Vue 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway when my Saturn Vue's key fell out of the ignition. There is nothing on my key ring but they key and the keyless remote. I was able to re-insert the key and regain steering control. When this happened, it moved from the "run" position to the "acc" position and locked my steering column. The engine also shut off. I see that the 2002-2004 Saturn Vue has already been recalled for this dangerous defect that has already caused numerous confirmed fatalities and need to point out that according to General Motors, the 2005-2007 Saturn Vue's have the exact same part number ignition cylinder and switch. I am able to remove my key while driving at any time without pressure, and have been able to replicate the vehicle going into "acc" mode whilst moving. This is unacceptable that you will recall earlier model years, but not every vehicle with the same defective part.

- Kelso, WA, USA

Aug 112014

Vue 4-cyl

I was driving on the freeway about 60 mph and noticed there was a burning smell coming from the steering wheel and then there was smoke. I exited the freeway and let the car sit for about 10 minutes and the smoke went away. I took the car to the mechanic and we couldn't get the car to duplicate the smell or smoke. I has happened several times since then.

- Orange, CA, USA

Sep 162009

Vue

I was unable to unlock steering to get my key in. Steering locked up. This has happened 3 or 4 times starting when the SUV was only a year old. Also my key just comes out while Saturn is still running, this started happening in 2009. I thought it was the key. I traded keys with my husband. He had the spare. But it is still happening. I can pull my key out and it keeps running. This Saturn Vue 2005 should be in the recall. I have young children that ride with me. What are we waiting for a injury or fatality?

- State College, PA, USA

Sep 082014

Vue 6-cyl

After initial start, the car key can be removed from the ignition switch and the motor continues to run. To switch off the motor, the key must be reinserted as usual. There is no resistance in removing the key while the motor is running.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 032014

Vue

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Vue. The contact stated while traveling approximately 20 mph attempting to avoid crashing into another vehicle, the contact had to apply force to the brakes and the steering wheel locked. As a result, the contact lost control of the vehicle crashing into a metal ground wire which flipped the vehicle over. A police report was filed no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to a body repair shop. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact made aware that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign id number: 08V470000 (steering) and NHTSA campaign id number: 08V616000 (steering). The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Amarillo, TX, USA

May 192014

• 1,397,500 miles
I was leaving work, I entered my car, put the key into the ignition and attempted to turn the key. The key would not turn. The ignition was locked and there was no unlocking it. I called several tow companies as this had happened a year earlier and a tow company came out, sprayed the ignition with wd-40 and it turned right away. I tried the wd-40 before calling the tow company and it did nothing. When the tow truck arrived, he had made a statement that he had seen this a lot with these SUV's. he got the key into the auxiliary position and hit it the key with the hard end of a butt of a knife. This made the ignition slip to the "on" position. I could then turn the key and start the truck. I do not have the money to have this ignition replaced. I feel that this ignition should be replaced as just because it has not had an accident yet, there is obviously a defect with this ignition. The steering column was locked until the key could be turned to the "on" position. I have to leave the key in the ignition at this time so, that I can start the truck and get to work. I am told it will be close to $300 to repair this defect!.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jul 022011

Vue

Keys get stuck in ignition not always intermittent and for no reason 5 times since I have had the car.

- Akron, OH, USA

May 132014

Vue 4-cyl

I can remove the key from the ignition while the car is still running. Also, there are times the ignition will physically not turn so that I can crank the vehicle.

- Shelby, NC, USA

Jul 012014

Vue

The contact owns a 2005 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that after making a left or right turn, the vehicle would hesitate to drive forward. The contact mentioned that the failure would occur on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for a diagnostic testing, who advised that the electronic steering control failed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 101,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Vue

The key will no longer turn in the ignition. It's as if I am using the wrong key entirely. It has stranded me numerous times.

- Bryan, TX, USA