2006 Saturn Vue steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Saturn Vue:

2006 Saturn Vue Owner Comments

Feb 102016

The truck is drivable without the key being in the ignition, so once you start the truck you can take the ket out of the ignition and still be able to drive. Also the steering wheel locks for no apparent reason.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 012015

When you try to start the car when it's cold, all of the interior and exterior lights come on, radio comes on, and then the lights and radio go off and the power steering stops working. After a few attempts and about 5 minutes pass, it works properly. Some times, unexpectedly, all the lights in the car start flashing, the locks on the doors lock and unlock repeatedly while driving. We've replaced the transmission, the ignition switch, the alternator, and have a brand new battery (2X in 6mo). This car is possessed! I worry for the safety of my teenage daughter while driving this car.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012014

When I try to start my vehicle I cannot turn the key in the ignition...I have to push up the gear shifter and then keep turning the steering wheel until the key can turn. I thought there was a recall for this but cannot find the information

- York, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Vue 4-cyl

My key regularly falls out of the ignition while I'm driving. I have noticed that some of the same models that Chevy manufactured have been recalled, but not the Vue.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Aug 092014

Bought a 2006 Saturn Vue in 2008. Within a year, had problems: Ignition switch/key. Does not function as it should with the key turning in the ignition switch. Replaced tumbler. Worked for awhile. It broke again. For both times it takes anywhere from 5 - 15 minutes every time to get the key to turn the vehicle on in the ignition switch. I am a 60+ year old woman who works nights. If I have to leave an area quickly for my own safety, I cannot do so. The ac fan shuts off as soon as the exterior car temp reaches 100 degrees. Had that fixed two years ago. But the problems persisted. Now the ac only blows warm air when and if the fan works. Door locks: Keys function inconsistently. Passenger side door does not allow me to lock all doors, which it once did. Fob: Functions inconsistently despite battery replacement. Windows; do not close all the way, allowing rain and air in. Steering wheel: Shakes. Had it fixed. Shakes again between 60-70 mph. I am fed up with this car. Will never buy another american made car.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Apr 182012

Was having to shake the steering wheel in order for the key to turn. Finally shaking it stopped working and had to take it to get repaired. The mechanic found the ignition casing was cracked and he also said I had to get a new key.

- Laplace, LA, USA

Apr 012013

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, there was a sudden loss of power steering. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000. The VIN was not available.

- Holland , MI, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. The contact stated that while parking the vehicle, the power steering failed. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 113,000. The current mileage 113,005.

- Tinton Falls, NJ, USA

Mar 012012

The ignition switch stopped working with the factory key. The key would get jammed in the ignition and not turn on and jiggling it would turn ignition on. Good car but the ignition should not be messing up.

- Rogers, AR, USA

Mar 182014

I had to replace the ignition switch a couple of years after purchasing the 2006 Saturn Vue. When removing the key on numerous occasions it would twist my key and eventually wear down the key which required replacement. Eventually the key got stuck in the ignition and I had to have the car towed and ignition replaced at my own cost. It is doing the same thing again wearing down my keys and practically twisting it off when I try to remove the key from the ignition. I have worn down many, keys in the past 8 years. Too many to count, which are expensive and very time consuming to replace. I don't want to have to pay to replace another ignition again!!!! I need help with this problem.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 182012

Vue 4-cyl

Problem with the ignition. It's very difficult to start up the car with the original car key.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jun 172010

1) leading events - purchased the car in 2009 used from a certified dealer, was provided with 2 separate sets of keys. Within the first 6 months of driving I noticed increased difficulty in starting the car with the keys provided. Alerted dealer and was given another set of keys. 2) failure - key to ignition frequently sticks and stays in the ignition while car is running. Also have identified that the steering wheel frequently locks which makes it even more difficult to start the ignition. 3) initially I was given a replacement key from the dealer that worked on and off. The car will be turned in for service this weekend to determine what the defect is if any on the car. Estimated cost $250-$500.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Jan 012010

Vue 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Saturn Vue. While driving into a parking space, in reverse or traveling at very low speeds of less than 20 mph, the steering wheel would become extremely hard and tight. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they were unable to duplicate the failure. No repairs were made to the vehicle and there were no recalls pertaining to the failure. The failure and current mileages were approximately 41,000. Updated 05/06/10. Updated 06/18/10.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Jul 172008

I own a 1998 SC2 and a 2006 Saturn Vue. I have been having problems with the ignition locking, I.e. you put the key in the ignition, attempt to start the vehicle and the key won't turn. This had been happening on my 98 for several years and it's always been resolved by jiggling the steering wheel, which then "loosened" the key, so I always thought it was due to the key or lock "wearing down". about 2 months ago the same issue started occurring with my 2006 Saturn Vue. I again figured maybe the keys were wearing down quickly, so I switched to my "spare" and the issue seemed to resolve itself. A few weeks later the same ignition lock up started happening again, on the Vue, you would put the key in the ignition, and you just couldn't turn it, the steering wheel would also lock with very little "play". the issue was again always resolved by jiggling the steering wheel and the key. The dealership is an hour away from my home, and since it seemed to be resolved with steering wheel jiggling, it wasn't a top priority on my list. Tonight was the be all end all-I got in my car to go to an appointment and the steering wheel completely locked up and the key wouldn't turn at all. I had to have a tow truck come out and take my car to Saturn to have this fixed. The tow truck driver was able to finally jiggle it and get it turned. This is ridiculous- I'm lucky I was at home when this happened. I often attend dog shows out of the area-what would I have done if I had my dogs with me hours away from home" worse-what if I had children" I've done a search on this problem with Saturn and it seems to be a common issue. They really need to fix this problem.

- Seward, PA, USA

Feb 072006

#1. ignition switch failure. Key gets stuck in ignition switch, causing the key to not be able to be turned or to be removed. #2. steering is vague and hard to keep pointed in one direction, possibly due to the use of electronic steering. Also; the car sways profoundly over uneven surfaces, due to the suspension design. This lack of suspension design integrity, coupled with the use of electronic steering causes the vehicle to operate in an unsafe manner, (causing the vehicle to meander from side to side, often into other lanes of traffic, unless the driver is constantly correcting the steering input). Please help to force Saturn to recall these vehicles for the safety of the public! please note that I have driven other Saturn Vue's, and they all seem to behave the same way. Thank you!

- Brandon, FL, USA

Dec 092005

2006 Vue rear tires were cupped, tires were replaced. Consumer experienced unusual steering conditions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable to determine the cause of the problem. The vehicle was taken to and independent mechanic who determined that there was a problem with the steering. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who stated they were going to swapped the rack from another Vue and changed some sensors in the steering column. The dealer never made the repairs.

- Letohatchee, AL, USA