2015 Subaru Outback brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments

Nov 192016

Outback

Invalid braking incidents with Subaru Outback's eyesight pre-collision braking system. My car has braked suddenly, without cause on 3 occasions. 1) sunny morning on a crowded residential street going less than 25mph with no cars directly in front of me, car gave warning and immediately braked stopping the car. 2) sunny afternoon on a wide residential street going about 30mph with no cars directly in front of me, car gave warning and immediately braked slowing the car significantly. 3) dark and raining on a major highway going 70mph using adaptive cruise control with no cars around me, car gave warning and immediately applied the brakes hard (no skidding or swerving) slowing the car to about 25mph before releasing control to me. Very fortunate that no cars were behind me. After each incident, I took the car into the dealership. The dealer was unable to recreate the problem and said they could not fix the car if they could not recreate the problem. After realizing the significant safety issue following the third incident, I called Subaru corporate customer service. Subaru sent a corporate engineer to look at the car and the data recordings. They were unable to find any issues with the car and again said they are unable to make any repairs without recreating the problem. In the 2+ years and over 30,000 miles I've driven the problem only occurred 3 times, the dealer recreating the problem seems unlikely given their limited time with the car.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 042016

Outback

The contact owns a 2015 Subaru Outback. While approaching a stop sign, the brake pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to stop. The contact had to depress the brake pedal with extreme force in order to stop the vehicle. The contact had to shift the vehicle into park in order for the vehicle to remain stopped. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Oct 012016

Outback

October 1, 2016 11:50am, 32,00miles sudden unintended acceleration (sua) my wife had an acceleration and brake malfunction on this date and time.she had just turned into a parking lot and attempted to turn into a parking space. As she took her foot off the accelerator and applied pressure to the brake, the car accelerated and the brake would not function. The car ran over the yellow cement barrier and was heading for a tree, she continued to apply pressure to the brake and it did not respond as she turned the car right to miss the tree. Realizing she may be heading for the street she turned hard right, still applying pressure to a unresponsive brake pedal. She continued to steer hard right to miss a fire hydrant. She left tire marks in the bark chips near the hydrant. The brake finally engaged and the car came to a stop in front of another cement parking barrier that was perpendicular to the street. She sat for approximately a minute, gathering her thoughts and talking to her grandchild, in the back seat. She then drove slowly over the barrier and parked. She drove around the parking lot stopping and starting before proceeding home, approximately 2 miles. This was a sudden and random acceleration and the brakes would not function. We believe it has to do with the computer that controls throttle and that it malfunctioned. We do not fee safe in this car and are concerned that this sua might happen again. We are asking Subaru to replace this control computer. It is at the dealership waiting on their evaluation. We want to drive and feel safe in our 2015 Subaru Outback! there should be no doubt or hesitation in keeping us safe and one incident of sua/brake malfunction is one too many. We have pictures of the area showing the tree, fire hydrant and bark chips with tire marks. You can follow the path of the vehicle through the picture.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Oct 012016

Outback

File uploaded below pictures #4 and #5 were not able to be downloaded which show closeups of the tire marks in the bark chips. #3 shows the complete tire mark in the bark chips.

- Springfield, OR, USA

Apr 212016

Outback

Brake pedal can be depressed below the accelerator. If the right foot is only partlally on the brake pedal, the right foot can depress the accelerator at the same time. When stopped at a light or nearly stopped, the car accelerates unintentionally. No accidents.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Dec 102015

Outback

When applying the breaks sometimes my foot hits the gas pedal. 2nd. Outback I purchased.never happened before. Had car since 21 May 2015 happened approx. 4 times.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Aug 232015

Outback

Plate gfn9291, Subaru re:(#:1-11519581273)

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 062015

Outback

Slowing to a stop at a traffic light on a city street, manual transmission in neutral, clutch in. Speed roughly 2 km/hr. Went to stop the car with the brakes, brake pedal went to the floor with no brake activation. Tried brake pedal again, same result. Activated parking/emergency brake which also did not stop the car. Car hit the back of a gravel truck ahead, and seemed to continue to push into the truck 7-10 cm, which is further than I would have expected given the low speed of the collision. Collision damaged the hood of my car and broke the headlight lens on the passenger side, no damage to the truck, no injuries to occupants of either vehicle. Truck turned through turning light, I carefully moved the car up and tried stopping at the light. Brakes functioned normally, so I tried the parking brake and it also seemed to function normally. I pushed on the brake pedal while the car was stationary and noticed much more travel than usual and a spongy feel, but there was resistance where there was none previously. I decided the car was safe to drive and drove slowly to the dealership where I left it to be inspected.

- Edmonton Alberta Canada, AK, USA

Jun 082015

Outback

The 2015 Subaru Outback 2.5I limited w eyesight system had been parked on a surface parking lot near marshall bwi airport for about 12 days. The parking brake had been applied at the time of original parking. This electronic brake could not be disengaged after repeated starts of the car. Brakes were apparently locked. A tow truck was called. The car had to be moved with the brakes on to get it out of the parking space and on to a flatbed tow truck. The dealer found that the left rear wheel brake was locked in position. Apparently the other three wheels were free to move. The eyesight system malfunction light was on the drivers screen. The service advisor recommended that the parking brake not be applied when the vehicle is parked for a number days, particularly on a flat surface.

- Rockville, MD, USA