2015 Subaru Outback miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Subaru Outback:

2015 Subaru Outback Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 022015

Outback

Two problems. 1. replaced windshield three times in 15 months. Two were original Subaru branded windshields. Original and industry replacement windshield are too brittle and thus unsafe. Any little pebble chips them and they always have a long crack within a few hours. 2. radio system does not always function properly. At times it scrolls down and we are unable to change channels or adjust the volume. The dealer was made aware of the problem in July and would replace it since it is under warranty. Supplier has not responded to send part after four months. Subaru is non responsive to our concerns.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Nov 032016

Outback

Driving down the street, heard a loud pop and the windsheld cracked. L shaped crack about 6 in in each direction. About the same way that happened to the other 122 people that filed complaints for Outback windshields cracking.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Mar 022016

Outback

Lines have appeared across my navigation screen. Lines make the screen almost impossible to read the screen especially in strong light due to the glare. The back up camera view is also impeded by the lines and the glare. The dealer tells me that this is normal as it is part of the touch screen. These lines were not on the screen for the first year I had the vehicle. The dealer will not address the issue even though the car is still under warranty. The lines appear at all times (when the vehicle is moving or stopped).

- Clovis, NM, USA

Jul 292016

Outback

I was forced to replace a 2nd failed wheel bearing (left front wheel) on my 2015 Subaru Outback 4cyl. Limited after 35270 miles today 29july2016. The first failed wheel bearing to be replaced occurred on 15january2016 involving the left rear wheel. In both cases abnormal noise levels while driving from the respective involved corners of the car lead me contact to dealer to confirm suspicions of potential wheel bearing failure in the making. Both bearings were replaced under warrantee conditions and I am for the most part satisfied with the repairs performed. However, having two bearings fail that normally could be expected to last the life of the car leads me to conclude that there is a batch of defective bearings produced for Subaru that may also be found on other cars assembled approximately the same time my car was made in December 2014 at Subaru's Indiana assembly plant. I feel this is worth a further investigation by your organization as most consumers probably don't have a clue what a failing wheel bearing sounds like and more likely have no idea how potentially dangerous it is to ignore to warning signs to their detriment. The Subaru dealer to contact regarding my specific car is metric auto sales, Inc., 1767 East jericho turnpike, huntington, NY 11743 (631) 499-6777

- Flushing, NY, USA

Mar 072016

Outback

Driving at highway speed and sunroof glass exploded for no known reason. Shattered glass rained down into driver compartment. Sunroof was closed at the time. Had similar issue with front windscreen cracking for no apparent reason. Car was sitting in driveway.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 152016

Outback

Shortly after purchasing our vehicle, a pebble hit the windshield causing a chip in drivers side. Chip was repaired by our dealership, but was in line of vision. Was excepting this repair, but thought the windshield material was too soft or brittle for this small repair, now have a broken windshield from chip on left side, needs replacing.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Dec 242015

Outback

While parked overnight the front windshield developed A18 inch horizontal crack at eye level started from the drivers side. The crack is traveling. Air temp was in the 70's, no rain or hail, happened sometime between Dec 24-26, 2015. Odometer was 9200. I saw on a car complaints website many other 2015 Outbacks with the same issue.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Nov 172015

Outback

Purchased the 2015 Outback in Sept. 2014. Took to back to dealership service dept. October. 24, 2014 because of loud popping noise around windshield especially when bluetooth phone connected. They could not find any problems. Popping noise around windshield continued from time to time. Took back to dealer July 29, 2015 for popping noise around windshield and poor radio am reception. They replaced the radio but am radio reception still not great. Got in the Outback on Nov 17, 2015 and there was a 5" crack on the bottom of the windshield slightly right of the center. A couple of weeks before this I was driving and heard a very loud popping noise. It made me jump as I thought the windshield was going to shatter but nothing happened. I had received a letter from Subaru about windshield cracking problems so I contacted the dealership. I took it in so they could take a picture. At that time I also reported problems with the defroster not keeping the windshield clear especially on rainy days and nights. This problem with the defroster has occurred several times and it was I the lower portion of the windshield. I thought the Subaru had electrical L issues because of the popping, poor am radio reception and the defroster. Now the windshield! this is my first Subaru and possibly last if the problems persist. All of the incidents happened while driving but when I discovered the crack it was parked in the garage. Crack us now about 9".

- Springfield, IL, USA

Nov 122015

Outback

I have had this car for 1 year and have had 3 windshields crack. I have never had a car that had this many incidents with cracked windshields

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Oct 222015

Outback

The windshield cracked earlier this year and had to be replaced. The crack extended from the upper right to the drivers side. Last week a rock hit my windshield and within minutes a 2 foot crack appeared (extends from upper right to the middle). The crack is continuing to grow. I'm concerned there is a safety issue with the windshield.

- Winnie, TX, USA

Sep 182015

Outback

Windshield cracked while driving through lake Tahoe area without any debris hitting windshield. The crack started at lower passenger corner and has grown past mid section of the windshield. This is the 2nd windshield damaged beyond repair on this vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012015

Outback

Noticed a small windshield crack and was told it couldn't be repaired. It stayed small for a month or so then spread rapidly when weather heated up. I've had dings before in prior cars' windshields, but never a crack.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 062015

Outback

The windshield cracked in the bottom corner of the passenger side, merely as a result of the windshield wiper retracting onto it while being washed. (I have never in my 30+ years of driving cars had a windshield crack from the impact of a windshield wiper retracting onto it!!!) the crack has since spread almost to the driver side. Based on my own research and investigation, I believe the built in windshield de-icer unit compromises the integrity of the windshield glass. In the event an accident were to occur, the windshield could very well shatter and cause bodily injury. A Subaru of America representative confirmed via email that "in the past few months we have seen a higher demand for windshield replacement than we usually see. Our parts department is working hard with retailers and suppliers availability....we have also updated our production process to improve the durability of our windshields." Clearly, the Subaru Outback 2015 windshields have a defect, and there should be a recall for them to be replaced at no cost to the owner before someone gets hurt. I have an appointment with the local dealership to have the windshield replaced next week. Only time will will tell how long this will take and how much it is going to cost. In fairness, the Subaru of America rep has asked me to send a copy of the replacement receipt to see if they can help with the cost. Considering Subaru's reputation, my hope is they will ultimately reimburse me in full.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 052015

Outback

The windshield cracked horizontally on the driver's side. Nothing hit the windshield to cause the crack. It was fine when I got home from work and parked the vehicle in the garage; the following morning the crack was there.

- Manteca, CA, USA

Sep 042015

Outback

Interior rear view mirror broke off the mounting with glass attached to the mounting. Their was no forceful movement or adjustment being applied to the mirror at the time, it just came down. Distracting my driving.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

May 192015

Outback

Traveling from Kansas City mo to phoenix windshield developed crack while driving. We were traveling in a light rain and there was some very small pea gravel being thrown up by passing cars on the opposite side of car. The crack centered over the passenger wiper about 4 inches upward. There was no star formation. I took it to the Subaru dealership in chandler AZ. I was told by the general manager that there was a back order on the glass but to wait until I returned to Kansas City for repair. During our drive home I called our insurance, Subaru (where purchased) and glass company. I found that glass on my Outback was at least 6 weeks out. After 6 weeks I was again told the glass remains on backorder. It was finally replaced by safelite on August 25th. Please look into this. Is there some kind of defect in the windshield, installation, or fit? thanks

- Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Sep 012015

Outback

I was at work today and when I left I sat in the Outback for about 10 min with the air conditioning on and made phone calls. When I got ready to take off I heard a crack. I looked around and didn't see anything. About 30 minutes ago, my husband and I went to pick up the grandkids and my husband said, "how did the windshield get cracked? he was right it was cracked right at the rearview mirror. I call the service department of the sales company and they said I will have to come when a Subaru rep is in the store and he will tell whether it was defective material. It has to be a defect, I was sitting still and it just cracked. It was not hit by anything, and there are no indents where it was hit.

- Elida, OH, USA

Aug 142015

Outback

I heard a pop on the highway, although nothing hit my vehicle. Several small cracks appeared-one quickly got larger. I had called Subaru a few months before about the pop as my mechanic said the windshield should be replaced-there was no reaction to this complaint. I have had issues with wind noise with this vehicle, and had the small window replaced as well. There is a general issue with the window sizing and placement of the windows in this model, and Subaru needs to issue a recall before a serious accident occurs.

- Albany, NY, USA

Aug 112015

Outback

The windshield has developed a small crack on the passenger side behind the windshield wiper. I took it to the dealer and they claim there is an impact point at the origin of the crack, yet there is no evidence of any damage whatsoever to the wiper assembly. I washed the car on Tuesday 8/11/15 and there was no crack then. The crack was first noticed by a passenger on 8/12/15. The crack seems to be getting larger. The Subaru dealer will not cover the replacement under the warranty, but I know nothing hit my windshield. The car is always kept in my garage when not in use.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Aug 012015

Outback

New windshield suffered a minor rock impact on the freeway. The crack propagated quickly. The windshield requires replacement, but the Subaru dealers say there is a 3 month backlog!

- Seattle, WA, USA