1997 Toyota 4Runner suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Toyota 4Runner:

1997 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Oct 142015

4Runner SR5 3.4L V6

click to see larger images

excessive rust excessive rust

I have a 1997 Toyota 4runner that I have absolutely loved. The engine, transmission, 4-wheel drive components are all going very strong at 219,000 miles. The other day, while driving, I heard a loud noise from under the vehicle, I actually thought I had hit something in the roadway. Turns out it was my drivers side trailing bar mount separating from the frame. It drove relatively fine at speeds under 40. However, when I attempted to enter the freeway I noticed an incredible wobble in the entire vehicle, so much so that I had to move to the shoulder and get off at the next exit. I feel that had I accelerated I would have found myself in a serious crash. Knowing what I know now I feel blessed that I was able to avoid something terrible.

The problem is this, I have a great car that is now useless. In my opinion its a horrible design and even more horrible of Toyota knowing the frame rails on these vehicles are essentially JUNK. Possibly a bad batch of metal? I wish I could sell a product and not stand behind it! Maybe its time for a class action against them.

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA