1998 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Toyota 4Runner:

1998 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Feb 142016

1998 Toyota 4-Runner. My mechanic indicated the frame is completely rusted out and the car is not safe to drive. First indication of a problem was the vehicle swaying side to side while driving.

- , Shawnee, KS, USA

Jul 152011

4Runner Limited V6

We have a 98 4runner that was in the shop several times for bad sway bar, they replaced this 3 time thinking the bushing was bad but in the end it was frame rust. While towing our sxs the frame finally busted and we almost lost control of the 4runner. Luckily my husband was able to regain control of the truck after violently swaying across 2 lanes of traffic, and almost rolling the truck. If we did not have a trailer attached I believe the 4runner would have rolled. After reading the issues with Frame rust in gen 3 4runners this is the same issue. Frame rusted out both sides where the rear sway bars mount.

My brother in law has welded a support so the truck is drivable but will never tow again, this frame was undercoated as required for living in the snow belt. Toyota needs to step up and replace these frames as this is a quality issue not a maintenance error....

- , Sugar Grove, OH, USA

Aug 312015

4Runner SR5 6

Bought this truck and intended to keep it for a long time. I am a long time Toyota buyer. Love the truck. Runs great, looks good, and has had no problems beyond maintenance. The frame caused the truck not to pass inspection. Rotted hard, 30+ inches on one side and 20+ on the other. I was recommended not to fix it due to the cost. Very disappointed in my truck, but when I found out this is a common problem, I am very disappointed at Toyota. Now I have a truck with lots of go left in it but isn't worth much except for scrap or parts. Really second guessing any more Toyotas.

- , Nescopeck, PA, USA