9.3

$3,500.00

2. replace frame (4 reports)
2000 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Toyota 4Runner:

2000 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 232014

4Runner Limited 3.4L V6

I reported this problem to Toyota several times over the course of three + years. The ironic thing about this is they volunteered to fix the Tacoma with the same issues, the same substandard steel, the same frames but have refused to fix our 4 Runners. The NHTSA should investigate this serious frame rotting of this vehicle that are on our roads. To this day there are a lot of mechanically sound 2000 4 Runners on the highway with the owners not realizing that they are driving dangerously,thru no fault of their own. TOYOTA would you PLEASE correct this problem ,like you did with the Tacoma

- , Edgewood, MD, USA

Aug 032015

4Runner SR5 V6

NEED TO BE REIMBURSED FOR THIS REPAIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Downingtown, US

Feb 012017

4Runner Limited 6

The Car is mechanically sound , brought it to dealership , I was told the frame is rusted beyond repair, they can't fix it, worse yet you have to get it towed away because we don't want you driving it.

I asked if they would at least contact Toyota corporate and maybe give me a credit toward the purchase of another Toyota vehicle. They said they couldn't help me.

I called Toyota consumer complaints and basically I get a woman on the phone who sounds like a robot who says , "I'm sorry car is not under warranty, we cant help you ".

I then asked if she thinks the car would be recalled in the future and she said if the car was registered I would be notified by first class mail.

Basically ill probably just donate the car , but if I knew a recall was coming soon I might consider hanging onto it.

- , Park Ridge, NJ, USA

Dec 072016

4Runner SR5 3.4L V6

I purchased the 2000 4Runner on 12/3/2016 . I checked for rust recalls and there weren't any so I felt safe. I took the Truck in for an oil change at a Toyota dealership . They told me there were holes in the frame and deemed the truck unsafe and I should get rid of it.I didn't have the Truck a week and now I can't drive it! Why no recall!! I'm out Thousands of dollars!! Something has to be done!

- , Dublin, OH, USA

Dec 072016

4Runner SR5 3.4L V6

I had a 2000 Tacoma 4x4 and gave it to my son . It was recalled for rust and Toyota took care of him 2 years ago. I purchased a 2000 4Runner on 12/03/2016.There was no recall so I felt safe. I took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership for a oil change and they told me I needed a new rear differential at a cost of $2600 due to rust.

- , Dublin, OH, USA

Jan 012012

4Runner Sport 3.7L V6

unsafe but no other ride at this time. cant sell not safe for anyone. rearend broke away from frame shocks busted through also whats next?

- , Stuarts Draft, VA, USA

Jan 012010

4Runner SR5 3.4L

click to see larger images

frame rust, rot

Seems that Toyota would take ownership here. Other frame issues have been taken care of, in the Tundra, or Tacoma. Being fully aware that this is a 15 year old car, I would expect many other things to fail before the main structure of the vehicle. It is shame that a perfectly running vehicle that is unsafe to drive

- , Middletown, OH, USA

Nov 052015

4Runner Limited

Yesterday, my 2000 4Runner Limited failed Pa. state inspection due to my frame being rusted out and not repairable; meaning not able to box out the rusted area but needing a whole new frame. I was told that if I was rear ended that the back of the SUV would collapse. Now, last year for inspection, I took the 4Runner to a nearby Toyota dealer to do the inspection and they replaced dry rotted and torn ball joints and some other repairs and passed it for inspection. No mention of any problems in the frame. With this inspection, I asked the man how it could have incurred this type of damage to the frame in just one year. He told me that this type of damage took more than one year and that he could put his fist through parts of the rusted frame. He said that ballpark figure to replace the frame about $4000.00 did not say labor cost. Now, if the Tacoma and Tundra have the same frame as the 4Runner, why was the SUV omitted from recall? These automobile companies talk up "safety" to the public as their main priority; but basically it's all about their bottom line - $$$$$. Now I have to go shopping for a new vehicle when the only problem with the 4Runner is the frame. The body and engine is in good shape, I gave it regular maintenance and was hoping to get over 200,000 miles on it without any huge problems. Thanks Toyota for now costing me big money.

- , Media, PA, USA

Oct 072013

4Runner SR5 Limited

My 2000 4runner didn't pass Maine state inspection this year due to some frame rot and rust that wasn't there last year. I did call Toyota Corp about this, but there is nothing they will do as there were never any recalls for this. I did point out to them that the 4runner and Tacoma of said year share the same frame and they should be ashamed of themselves for not including the 4runner is the same recall. I did get an estimate on repair/replacement and its going to be around $1500.

- , Wells, ME, USA