2001 Toyota 4Runner engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota 4Runner:

2001 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Dec 012015

Since I got the car, the ignition key does not get in properly and sometimes does not start the car. The movement of the wheel helps sometimes. There have also been leaking engine covers that needed to be replaced. The structure gets rusty and there is problem with transmission.

- Hollywood, FL, USA

Oct 072014

The contact owns a 2001 Toyota 4runner. While driving approximately 35 mph, the check engine indicator illuminated and the traction control became disabled. The dealer stated that the programming of the computer needed to be reconfigured. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Bangor, ME, USA

Jul 072012

4Runner 6-cyl

On 7/7/12 I was driving for a dog rescue Transport and noticed a strong fuel smell in the vehicle. I thought nothing of it at first since I had just filled up the truck and a gas can. What I did notice was my gas gauge was dropping incredibly fast so I looked for a clear area on shoulder that should the truck catch fire. (very dry in NJ at the time) I found my area and shut truck off and drifted into the shoulder. Exited the vehicle and began rushing to empty the seven dog crates (just in case) on the shoulder behind guard rail. Once we were all clear, I walked over to vehicle and popped hood. There was fuel saturating everything, including still dripping from insulation material under the hood directly onto and around the exhaust area. By Toyota design, there is a clip that retains/separates two hoses directly on top of the fuel line that had worn a hole into the fuel line. On 7/9/12 I went to Toyota dealer to get the hose which I find out is part number 23801(P)-62071. It turns out there are only seven of this listed part in the whole United States and that it would cost me $75 and a week or more to get the part. I went home and browsed the net to find only one store that stocks this item and ordered through them to save about $20 but still the same turn around time (lost about $67 in fuel as tank is now bone dry plus a $250 flatbed tow fee. I am out almost $400). I has been a week my vehicle has been out of service due to a Toyota design flaw, and they will not fess up to the design flaw or even offer a loaner car.

- Bayonne, NJ, USA