1. change switch and o-ring on charcoal canister (1 reports)
2001 Toyota 4Runner exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota 4Runner:

2001 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Oct 012014

4Runner Limited V6

Have same problem as Lisa F reports. The diagnostic codes that show up are P0442 and C1201. Replacing the gas cap didn't work so will check the O-ring in the charcoal canister. Once I clear the codes the lights stay off for a few months but come back on eventually. Can't complain much as the truck rides like a champ and hope I can take it to 300k.

- , Mt Pleasant, SC, USA

Jun 242011

4Runner SR5 V6

My 2001 Toyota 4Runner engine light came on with the VSC light. It really baffled the heck out of me for over 2 months. Especially when the vehicle had to be inspected in August. The stealer ship wanted to look at it and told me they didn't no how long it would take to figure it out. I am sure they would take hours on it. I decided not to get robbed, so I went to Auto zone to get a code. I don't remember the code but it had something to do with the VSC switch or the Charcoal Canister. I went to the stealer ship to get the switch. I had no choice to buy OEM because I know Toyota vehicles will give U hell if it not OEM. I payed $80 bucks. I changed the VSC switch located under the spare tire. The engine light and VSC light stayed off for almost 500 miles and appeared again. I then took the vehicle to a friend who had a shop. He did a smoke test. The O-Ring on the charcoal canister was leaking due to dry rot. The O-Ring cost $2. bucks he only charged me $100 to change. It is now 3000 miles later light still off. I want to warn people not to buy a whole charcoal canister as they are very pricey. When I had this problem I noticed a lot of posts with the same vehicle problem. I believe Toyota is very aware of this problem with there crappy charcoal canisters.

- , Chenango Forks, NY, USA