2001 Toyota 4Runner transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota 4Runner:

2001 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Mar 122010

Less than 20000 miles after I had a remanufactured transmission installed, by Toyota, in my 2001 Toyota 4runner the vehicle became unresponsive to throttle input. The engine was running but the vehicle would not move in any gear. I put the vehicle in park and let off of the brake and the vehicle began rolling backwards down the hill. I applied the foot brake to keep the car from rolling further and shut off the vehicle. After a few minutes I started the vehicle back up low and behold, the vehicle operated normally. Today, I had a surge in the transmission while driving and the check engine light came on. Contacted Toyota for service. I have had numerous electrical problems with this vehicle but feel that this one posed a safety hazard worthy of reporting.

- Randolph Center, VT, USA