2002 Toyota 4Runner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Toyota 4Runner:

2002 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Mar 072012

My 2002 Toyota 4runner frame is rotted in front of the rear passanger wheel well measuring about 31' inside next to the muffler and driver side rear body mount it's starting to rust through now the rest is in great shape body wise

- Powhatan Point, OH, USA

Dec 272015

Rust through on the frame.

- Shepherd, MI, USA

Sep 152015

Frame and some suspension parts are very rusted, frame has holes and is becoming unsafe to drive. Vehicle is only 13 years old, only 100100 miles. Passenger side front suspension pop's when stressed in cornering. When at idle, you can hear the vibration from rust chunks in the frame. All heat shields rusted. Skid plates on front and fuel tank so rusted must remove. Now nothing is protecting the fuel tank.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Apr 042015

After buying this vehicle I was underneath vehicle to repair a axle seal leaking and found extensive frame rust on passenger rear of frame. By extensive I mean the frame was rusted completely through! I have lived in Ohio all of my life and have never seen a vehicle with this mileage and of this year have such severe frame rust! after further inspection I noticed rear end housing was also severely rusted. The rust on the frame is severely perforated at point where trailing arm for the rear end attaches to the frame! I was not aware of this issue before buying vehicle but after some research have found that this is definitely a manufacturer defect of some sort! these vehicles are not safe to drive with these frames in this condition and Toyota is aware of this!

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Aug 212015

Took vehicle for inspection, was told it needed to be welded. Took it took a welding shop, that does this type of work. We were then told by the gentlemen doing the work that it was the frame under the vehicle and didn't feel comfortable. Because he has heard of issues with 4runner rusting issues and said it would cost thousands of dollars to fix it. He knew we didn't have the funds to spend that kind of money. We have someone else who saw a photo of it and stated just from the pictures it would be over $2,000 to fix it. We feel that Toyota should recall this. Just because it wasn't manufactured in the United States then in Japan. Not a happy customer.

- Mocanaqua , PA, USA

Sep 032015

Frame has excessive rust and has holes in parts of it. The rest of the body and interior are in great condition. Engine runs well and there are otherwise no major mechanical issues. Upon having a minor repair done, inspection showed that the vehicle was unsafe to drive with the frame in that condition as it is about to crack in half. This seems to be prematurely failing compared to the rest of the vehicle.

- Highland Heights, KY, USA

Mar 312015

The entire frame and other parts of the underbody are rusted. The brakes both front and back were also rusted. I pulled off from the highway and stopped to pickup my dogs. When I tried to leave my brakes were gone. When the car was towed to my mechanic he said both front and rear brake lines were rusted through and had to be replaced. I could have been killed. He also said that the frame is rusted and is dangerous to drive. I am afraid to drive this car.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA