CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

5.0

2003 Toyota 4Runner accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jun 102011

4Runner Sport V8

I have a 2003 toyota 4 runner and my VSC / trac & VSC OFF lights came on. I don't know what is wrong with it.

- , Newark, DE, USA

Dec 162010

4Runner SR5 V6

The engine light, and VSC TRAC lights turned on, so I took the 4Runner to a Toyota Service Center. I was told that the problem was due to a bad catalytic converter. It's been over 4 weeks now and Toyota can't tell me when the part will come in. It's supposedly back ordered, but does it really take 4+ weeks to even make a new catalytic converter from scratch? Toyota won't even recommend a comparable aftermarket brand. I feel like they're waiting until this minor problem causes secondary and tertiary effects on my 4Runner so that I can spend more at their service center!

- , Clarksburg, MD, USA