CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, the reason the 2002 - 2009 4Runner didn't receive our top "Seal of Awesome" rating is because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts.

6.8

2. need toyota to take care of it!!! (4 reports)
  3. dash replacement (3 reports)
  4. report to NHTSA (2 reports)
2003 Toyota 4Runner accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Oct 142004

4Runner Limited Sport 4.7L V8

I purchased my 4runner as a second vehicle non daily driver and dumped about $15,000 into it after purchase price in the form of lift, engine mods, exhaust, header, stereo system, rims, tires, gearing, Xreas delete, etc.... I am very satisfied with the overall performance of my SUV but I can't get over the fact that once in the vehicle I cannot for the life of me not notice the fact that the entire dash looks like it has cancer. Toyota will do nothing to address the issue which is total bullshit but not shocking. Major dinero my friends or a cheap not matching dash cap. I think the dash engineers at Toyota had a meth problem in 2003 and they are still struggling to get over that so no help there.

I have done some research and there are 3 companies that make dash caps that are of decent quality that should outlast the factory turd. Anyway, that's all I have. Shame on you Toyota for releasing a vehicle that falls apart from the inside out. Dickheads.

- , Clearwater, FL, USA

Jan 012009

4Runner SR5 V6

I have been a loyal Toyota owner since I was 16 years old and I am now 42 years old, my entire family, extended family, my children, etc. all drive Toyota's. My oldest daughter is driving a one owner 1997 Toyota Camry and just this week she is purchasing a Yaris. I purchased my 2003 Toyota 4Runner with the intentions of driving it until my youngest reached age 16 at which time I would then buy me a new 4Runner because I loved my 4Runner!!

In 2009 I noticed a crack in my dash and immediately started seeking help, talked to dealers, upholster shops, vinyl shops, searching on-line, called Southeast Toyota, Facebooked Southeast Toyota, all the while, my dash was cracking more and more and more, it's horrible and scary!! I am afraid the passenger side airbag could deploy on it's own because the dash is cracked so much over the airbag, which is where the biggest problem lies in trying to find a fix!! You can't cover the airbag with a dash cap, you can't replace the dash without replacing the air bag which is a huge expense, more than I can afford as a single mother trying to make ends meet. I just can't believe Toyota would allow something like this to jeopardize their reputation. It makes me sad and angry.

I will keep researching, hoping Toyota will step-up to the plate before someone is injured or killed because unfortunately, there is no other affordable option for me. :(

- , Morehead City, NC, USA

Jun 282014

4Runner SE V8

I just noticed today that my dashboard shows the first signs of cracking.

It's starting above the receiver. Very small, but noticeable.

I read about the multiple complaints on dashboard cracking before but always considered myself lucky to not be affected... well, until now. I thought keeping it in the garage most of the time day/night would have helped preventing it, but obviously not. I also have an older Mercedes (25 years now!) and there's no cracking on the dashboard - and the car is parked outside!

There's a long list of complaints also in this site: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/4th-gen-t4rs/122935-cracked-dashboard-action-request.html

Since there are so many owners complaining about this, Toyota should really step up and offer a solution.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 292012

4Runner Sports Edition

I just purchased the vehicle and though it was a seam in the dash until I came across a Forum (T4R.org) that had a number of complaints of the same issue. I have not come across any fix other than getting a replacement through the dealer which is going to cost $$$$$$$

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 142012

4Runner Sports Edition V8

The dashboard craked all along the lip of the dash, no reason for it to do so, garage kept, and never used any armoural on it. Want it fixed, I have an extended warranty that covers vehicle up to 100K miles, does this fall under the warranty? Dealership wont call back

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Jan 042013

4Runner Sport V6

I park my car in a garage at work and at home. I got in my 4Runner in January (not even hot in the garage) and noticed multiple large cracks all over my dashboard. They are on the drivers side and the passenger side, all over the place. It is really bad. Toyota needs to rectify this situation. This is definitely a defect. I've never seen a dash crack this bad; I've owned 3 $Runners and 2 different Land Cruisers and this never happened.

- , APOLLO BEACH, FL - Florida, USA

Oct 012005

4Runner AWD V8

Toyota really need to address this issue. This is a really defective product.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Aug 012011

4Runner V8

Last year my dash cracked in my 4runner. I was driving down the road and it just cracked. It started on the passenger side. Now it it is spreading across the whole dash. I have gone to the Toyota dealership and it is going to cost more than $2000 to fix. Toyota will not cover it, and neither does insurance. I paid a lot of money for this vehicle, and I feel like it should be fixed. Not only is is ugly and a constant eyesore, it is dangerous. What if the air bag goes off at will? It can cause serious injury or death to me or anyone in my vehicle if I wreck because an air bag deploys while driving down the road. Toyota should recall all these vehicles and fix them. Toyota has always been number 1 on sales, but they will lose a lot of customers because of their recent actions and cheap made dashes.

- , Hot Springs, AR, USA

May 012011

4Runner V8

My 2003 4Runner recently started developing cracks in the dash board on the passenger side. The cracks started slowly but seem to be increasing in number at an alarming rate. I believe this to be a weakness/defect in the materials used so that the air bag can inflate. My vehicle has always been parked under cover and I have not used Armoral on the interior. My concern is that the cracking will allow the air bag to inflate without there being an impact accident. This could cause injury to a passenger or cause me to have an accident. I have not taken the vehicle to a dealer yet but plan to do so very soon. I wanted to do some research first and see if other owners were having this same problem. It appears this is not a problem unique to my vehicle but a common problem with the 4Runner.

- , Winters, TX, USA

Apr 102012

4Runner SR-5 V6

This is my 4th 4-Runner very upset that the dash panel is cracked on this one, may never buy another Toyota. Have been buying Toyota's for pass 30 yrs...

- , Okeechobee, FL, USA

Aug 202011

4Runner SE V6

On August 20, 2011 we took our 2003 Toyoya 4Runner to David Maus Toyota in Sanford, FL for the 90,000 service work. While it was there we had it detailed. The total cost was $850. This vehicle is our extra car and is not driven on a daily basis, only on the weekends. The following Saturday morning we got into the 4Runner and noticed a new hairline crack that ran approximately 2" from the driver's side window across the line of the dash behind the steering wheel to the middle of the dashboard. We called the dealer and immediately drove it to Sanford so they could look at it. Initially they told us it was from the "Armorall" we had been using. We had not. They were the ones to use product on our vehicle. After many daily phone calls to every manager, then a phone call each day left on David Maus's voice mail this week a rude manager called us today to tell us too bad, it's the age of the vehicle. We did not have a crack in our dash prior to August 20th, David Maus Toyota serviced our 4Runner now we have a cracked dash. Not only do they not accept responsibility, we were told we could take our business elsewhere by their service manager. We were not rude. We were merely persistent. Other than that it has been kept in a garage and looks like new.

- , 32765, FL, USA

Mar 012011

4Runner Sport Edition 4wd 4.0L V6

The crack in my dash board appears to be the same as others who have the 2003 Toyota 4 Runner. The crack runs the entire length of the dash board and spiders over the passenger airbag. I bought this car new and it was very expensive. I am very disappointed. This cracking problem is not and should not be acceptable.

- , Christiansted, US Virgin Islands, Virgin Islands (US)

Feb 072011

4Runner SR5 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

crack in dashboard crack in dashboard crack in dashboard crack in dashboard crack in dashboard crack in dashboard

Rather than fussing about the split that appeared in my dashboard this past February, I prefer to issue an invitation to owners of 2003 Toyota 4Runners with split dashes to email your complaint and pictures to me at elizabethheller2007@gmail.com. If this is a defect common to a large number of these vehicles, I would like to call the matter to Toyota's attention and to give the corporation an opportunity to resolve the problem.

- , Bryant, AR, USA

Aug 012010

4Runner SR5 4.7L V8

if you have this problem toyota will not repair, the plastic could cut you if the air bag goes off and water could go down crack and get into airbag system. Alot of people have this same problem toyota will not help you. We need to report this to the NHTSA. www.nhtsa.gov

Toyota has gone down in it standards over the years and need to fix this problem. don't take it, toyota rep Anika came and looked at my 4runner 03 15000 miles and garaged in the dark with no windows. In the garage for 6 or 7 years smells like new and said no fix it myself. They know about the problem that is why on the new tacoma it is all plastic.

- , Anaheim, CA, USA

Jul 152008

4Runner SR5 V8

crack in dash on passenger side. my daughter has the same problem with her 03 4runner

- , Winston Salem, NC, USA