CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

3.3

2003 Toyota 4Runner steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Toyota 4Runner:

2003 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Dec 292007

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

While driving at approximately 72 mph, my pre-owned 4 runner drifted suddenly to the left 3 consecutive times as if a tire was blown. The drift was similar to a lateral shift and was not gradual. I thought it could be due to some foreign object on the road, so I proceeded with caution. Slowed down to near 55 mph, it occurred again. Slowed down to 45 mph, and it occurred again. Prior to any of these, I was not able to accelerate the vehicle beyond a certain speed! we checked the suspension, tires, front end, etc., all was good. Again, this is a very serious incident that could have resulted in the death of all 4 passengers.

- Dearborn Hts, MI, USA