CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

6.0

1. replace fuse (1 reports)
  2. replaced entire AC system (1 reports)
2004 Toyota 4Runner AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota 4Runner:

2004 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 022013

4Runner SR5 V6

Toyota had been using a faulty fuse that if I had been the original owner and known about the recall I could have gotten it fixed for free. It really was a simple fix, plugging in a new fuse, but the fact that Toyota admitted wrong but wouldn't help with replacing the fuse. And on top of that the fuse cost a ridiculous $80! Thankfully it was an easy fix, but still annoying.

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Mar 142011

4Runner 4.0L V6

First I have to say I Have not required any repairs to this vehicle since I purchased it new, Only regular servicing. I am not complaining but am posting this for statisical tracking.

The A/C stopped blowing cold so I attempted to recharge with a can of 134a w/dye and sealer. Cheap fix I thought. The A/C blew cool for about a week before the problem came back. Tried the same fix agian because a local repair shop told me it would cost about $1000.00 to fix. After adding two cans of 134a w/dye, it started venting from the high pressure side of the compressor on every cycle until depleted. Local shop replaced Compressor and clutch, coil, dryer assy, expansion valve, condenser assy, and all o-rings. I basically changed the whole system except for hoses for $1800.00. Maybe the repairs would have been cheaper had I not over-pressurized the system and blew floresent dye all over the engine compartment.

- , Rincon, GA, USA