CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

1.5

2004 Toyota 4Runner suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Toyota 4Runner:

2004 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 042014

4Runner

There is lot of rust on frame, under carriage and its also in the suspension. Its also causing fluids to leak and I had to replace the muffler assembly due to rust. I purchased this car as certified used from prestige Toyota of NJ with only 5000 miles in August of 2005, I purchased this Toyota because of their stellar reputation in the auto industry but I am extremely disappointed with this car. I have less than 109,000 miles and at the way this rust is progressing, I will have to junk the car very soon. I cant risk being on the road with my family and have this rust bucket fall apart on the middle of the road. I have been waiting to see if there is a recall but haven't seen anything come through yet. Please include my car in any vehicle safety recalls, or class action suits against Toyota. Thank you

- New City, NY, USA

Jul 072016

4Runner

Well maintained vehicle failed nh state safety inspection based on significant frame rust. Rust points around radiator support mounts, and passenger side rail, near muffler mount, and rear suspension mount point. With damage, car is unsafe to drive. Toyota states no resolution option exists. Similar year Tacoma frames are being replaced with identical damage.

- Derry, NH, USA

Apr 102016

Rust eat my frame into

- Rockwood, TN, USA

Apr 202016

4Runner

Looks like the fran around and in front of the front suspension is rusting in two

- Corinth, KY, USA

Jan 162016

4Runner

There is excessive rust/corrosion on the frame of the truck. The skid plates completely rusted off the truck in 2010. The transmission lines have corroded to the point they have to be replaced. The engine oil cooler and radiator supports have rusted through. The exhaust rusted off the truck in 2010 as well. Currently there is extensive corrosion on the frame of the truck and the suspension components. These issues appeared in 2010 and I have been fighting them ever since. Mechanically the truck runs great, never a problem, however the vehicle's frame is disintegrating due to corrosion.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 222015

4Runner

Vehicle has 129,881 miles. Severe rust through of frame underside. Had plated & welded. New rust through holes appeared within 6 months of previous weld on same frame structure but in different locations posing imminent rust through failure in center of vehicle. Cannot pass safety inspection.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

Sep 012011

4Runner

Excessive rust and corrosion to the point where my skid plate came off and transmission fluid lines broke apart, leading to major leak and fix - luckily it came off in driveway and not on highway where someone could have been significantly injured. Shocks have holes in them from rust and corrosion, as do support bars and frame. Can break off pieces of the frame in my hand without effort. Concerned that frame could crack, support components could fail while driving because of corrosion. Other Toyota models have been recalled for rust, using the same components but assembled in different factories than the 4runner and land cruiser models, to my understanding. This is a safety issue that Toyota must address before anyone is seriously injured.

- Nolensville, TN, USA

Nov 102011

4Runner

2004 Toyota 4runner limited, has excessive chassis rust and rotted out at some point on the sub frame, contacted the dealer and there is no recall available also called Toyota and recall is not available.I am afraid that the chassis will break and cause an accident.

- Bayonne , NJ, USA

Jul 132015

4Runner

Frame has started rusting near welds and holes. Very poor prevention of rust by Toyota. Skid plates totally rusted out and fuzed bolts. Rear diff housing is also rusty. Car will probably fall apart in a year or two.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jun 302015

4Runner

I was going 5 mph and hit my brakes. The control arm was ripped from the frame due to rot/rust. Toyota is aware of this problem for 4runners, but has only offered assistance on the Tacoma and Tundra. The body of my vehicle has no rust anywhere, and the mileage is extremely low. I cannot even find a mechanic to fix it, because the frame is so bad. I was told, if it gets fixed, another part of the frame may fail when I'm cruising on the highway and people could get hurt or killed. No mechanic wants this liability in doing a repair.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Dec 312014

4Runner 8-cyl

Went in for a oil change and was offered a 28 point inspection. At dealership, ira Toyota, milford, MA 28 point inspection tells us there is holes and rust in the frame and the vehicle would not pass inspection. This 4runner has been kept in mint condition with receipts to prove. Did some research on line to learn many 4runners and Tundra's have been recalled for just this reason. Updated 7/23/15

- Norfolk, MA, USA

Sep 162013

4Runner 8-cyl

Vehicle has abnormal amount of rust on frame metal parts with excessive chipping an corrosion. Also, of almost more concern is that the airbag sensors are completely rotted through, as if they were sacrificial anodes. Frame failure due to abnormal rust could cause a catastrophic accident. Sensor failure of the airbag sensors (behind front bumper) while driving could cause serious injury or death to driver or other cars on the road. I have never seen anything like this amount of corrosion.

- Quogue, NY, USA

Oct 052005

4Runner

I have a Toyota Tacoma 4 door 4 cly pick up..I was on the internet and just notice a recall about brakes, ,is my truck included in this recall? and another I have never got any letter or anything telling me about any recalls on my truck and I see here there has been recall for front ball joints and crack frames, ,,seat belt problems..I was in shock..so what do I do can they still fix any problems if any and check my truck..thank you

- Clermont, FL, USA

Jan 302014

4Runner 6-cyl

Frame is rusting out.

- Cuba, MO, USA

Dec 312009

4Runner 8-cyl

Major rust on frame and other mechanical parts. Not exposed to salt does not occur with my other vehicles.

- Burke, VA, USA

Nov 012012

4Runner 8-cyl

2004 4runner limited, frame rusted out.

- New Hartford, NY, USA