CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

4.1

2005 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 312015

4Runner 6-cyl

On July 31, 2015 while traveling East on I-78 near easton Pennsylvania at approximately 70 mph the steering wheel in my vehicle abruptly began to shake violently. I was fearful of loosing control of my vehicle. A subsequent inspection by tri-county Toyota in royersford, pa to determine the cause of this malfunction revealed extensive rust damage to the frame of the vehicle. The dealer did not offer any remedy to correct the condition to make it safe for me to drive. Via email I contacted the executive offices of Toyota motor sales, usa. Their representative did respond to me but did not offer me any resolution to correct this hazard. She did offer me a $1,500 "loyalty" offer towards the purchase of a new Toyota. That response is not acceptable to me. This is clearly a design flaw with this vehicle that make them dangerous on the roads. There are other 4runner owners who have similar experiences with their vehicles. Additionally, other Toyota vehicles have been recalled for the same condition. My vehicle is in very good condition mechanically because I have diligently adhered to Toyota's maintenance schedule. I regularly wash it so that neither the body nor the interior show any undue signs of wear. I am merely seeking reasonable remedy to this issue that was not caused by any fault of mine.

- Sumneytown, PA, USA

May 012012

4Runner 6-cyl

Cracks in the dashboard began to appear of which I first noticed after 90K miles in the area of the fr passenger air bag. I first thought the air bag may be defective and ready to explode. As the cracks increased in number and size, they began to appear all over the dashboard. I notified both the local dealer and the main Toyota office in California, they made an offer to replace the dashboard but I would have to cover more than half of the cost. They did not admit to any problem that Toyota is responsible for. I was informed though that Toyota used recycled plastics in the manufacturer of some of the interior parts. At that point, being uneducated in the use of recycled plastics I began to do some research and, this is what I found; Toyota has used recycled plastics for the manufacturer of its automobile and truck parts for sometime and are considered experts in the recycling field. I also found that due to environmental concerns we have different types of recycled plastics being used "virgin, recycled and degradable." This has presented a problem of which my Toyota 4runner is a victim, through no fault of my own. The users of recycled plastics in the manufacture of long life span products (my dashboard) has to be sure that degradable (short life span) plastics feedstocks do not get mixed in together. What you have if you allow this to happen is a dashboard that disintegrates before its time, like a bottle made to be disposed of in a landfill. I believe this happened since Toyota is in the business of using all of the different types of plastics feedstocks for manufacturing including creating equipment that is used in all aspects of the recycling industry. I believe this is a safety issue since a faulty, disintegrating dashboard could affect the safe use of my airbag in the case of an accident. The correction of this should not be on the consumer.

- Fruitland Park, FL, USA

Feb 022009

4Runner 6-cyl

Dashboard cracked mostly in the area above de passanger air bag.

- Juncos, PR, USA

Jul 162012

4Runner

About two weeks ago, I discovered two cracks on my dash, one by the driver side close to the wind shield and one by the passenger ( in between the compartment and radio) I decided to search the cause and to my surprise this is apparently common on many Toyota 4runners, sienna's, highlanders and others. I also was disappointed to read that Toyota won't take any responsibility and are quick to respond that car is out of warranty or caused by ones neglect. This can be a hazard. This is why I chose to report it. A lot of what I have read is that it will only get worse and my concern is that if these cracks get close to the airbags it will allow the already weakened dash to deploy the airbag and cause injury or even worse an accident. I believe this issue warrants some kind of attention or investigation. Toyota owes some kind of acknowledgement to consumers and put safety first. They make us feel as we are the perpetuators and they are the victims. Proof is in the changes they have made to the dashboard quality on the newer models. Many consumers do not have the $1000 to replace a dash and choose to either ignore or find a third party to fix which can make it worse.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 052011

4Runner

My 2005 4runner is in great shape besides the dashboard. My dashboard is cracked all over. The vehicle is garage kept and has tinted windows. After doing a google search, it appears that there are a tremendous amount of people with the same issue. This should be recalled and replaced. When the vehicle was at the dealership for service, I asked the price for replacement and it was several thousand dollars. This will surely decrease the value of my vehicle and could be dangerous if the airbags went off and the cracked dash cuts someone.

- Sarasota, FM, USA

Aug 172011

4Runner

Hair line crack over instrument panel on 2005 4-runner sport addition. Just appeared nothing occured to make it happen.

- Valley , AL, USA

Apr 162010

4Runner

2005 Toyota 4 runner sr 5 spare tire bracket/ holder severely prematurely rusted. Dealer unable to remove spare tire. Lubricant applied by dealer to no avail. Bracket/holder defect makes spare tire unavailable for use and can lead to bracket/holder failure. Dealer unable to remedy leaving vehicle owner with no spare and potential for catastrophic event while vehicle in use.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA