CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2005 Toyota 4Runner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Toyota 4Runner:

2005 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

May 292016

4Runner

I was driving the vehicle, hit a pot hole. Little bit after that, when I came to a stop and started to accelerate, the vehicle started to swirve all over the road and become uncontrollable. I was able to pull over and stop the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the rear component broke off from the frame due to rust. The dealer stated that the SUV will need frame replaced due to rust. The vehicle 180K miles tune up was performed at the dealer in winter 2015 and no rust was mentioned upon "complete" inspection. The vehicle is now non operation and is a total lost due to rust. Every 30K miles the vehicle was taken to the dealer for maintenance. Oil changes were performed every 5K miles with synthetic oil. The car has been garaged for since purchasing it new in 2005. It has never been on the beach. Salt is not used on our road.

- Sterling, AK, USA

Apr 012016

4Runner

There is a massive amount of rust on the frame of the truck. I was at a Toyota dealer where they were replacing Tacoma frames. The pile of frames they have been taking out look so much better than mine that I am amazed that 4runner are not included in the recall.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Aug 012015

4Runner

Bought vehicle and 1st service was notified that I have massive amounts of frame rust. Vehicle was purchased in South Carolina where it rarely snows.

- Girdletree, MD, USA

Sep 012015

4Runner

There was no "frame rotting" selection so I just chose what I think is affected. Major scaling on the inside. Outside looks perfect. Well, it seems that the inside rotted so bad that my inner frame rail on the passenger side near the rear track arm had almost rotted through. It is soft like a sponge, but yet the factory Toyota frame paint held it together. Poking it with my finger and it all crumbled revealing quite a few holes. Hood also has a lot of little rusted parts. This didn't happen because of negligence of my part. I take good care of my cars and never had troubles like these with any other car brands.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Feb 092015

4Runner

I had my electronic sun/moon roof replaced a year or so after the warranty, because it jammed in the open position. Toyota replacement charge was $2000 +. it jammed again this spring and the "basic repair" has not worked and Toyota wants to again charge $2000 +. this is a chronic complaint about this make/model and feature and Toyota only will warrant any repair/replacement work to 1 year.

- Sewell, NJ, USA

May 012015

4Runner

Two service center refused to worked on 4-runner because of major rust issue. This is a garaged 58,000 4-runner with parts that are falling off from the underside. Toyota claims they do not have rust problems with there 4runner.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

May 042015

4Runner

Rust! frame is rusting severely. Its looks to be a matter of time before something major fails on the frame. Most recently, the heat shield above the catalytic convertor rusted off and fell from the moving vehicle. The mounting bolts had rusted to nothing allowing the heat shield to become loose and eventually fall off.

- Aurora, OH, USA

Feb 132009

4Runner 6-cyl

My Toyota 4runner, 2005 was speeding and I couldn't control to stop it. Finally I managed to steer and hit the median of the highway and it stopped. There was a damage to my car and injury. I contacted Toyota about the accident but they are not fully cooperating to inspect and fix my car.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA