CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

3.9

2006 Toyota 4Runner body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota 4Runner:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

May 242014

4Runner 6-cyl

In 2011, I noticed my 2006 4runner was rusting so I took it to the dealer who looked at in and said normal wear. Now in 2014, parts of my 4runner are falling off, one heat shield fell off and the other one is rattling like crazy, the screws have rusted through. There is severe rusting, the entire under carriage, the latch to close the rear door, the brakes, the gas tank, the body has brown spots, the tire rims, the only parts not rusted are the plastic parts. I am afraid to drive my 4runner. I have had to spend thousands of dollars on repairs so far on a vehicle bought brand new.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Jan 102014

4Runner

We had the 4 runner service for oil change and inspection when they found the frame completely rusted through and none repairable we still have to make payments.

- Dinwiddie, VA, USA