Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2006 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota 4Runner:

2006 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 072016

I have a 2006 Toyota 4 runner that has been developing excessive rust flaking on the rear axle housing, brake components, frame and rear suspension componets.we have had warranty work performed approx. 1 year ago and the mechanics at Toyota stated they needed to replace or repair various transmission lines before they would return the vehicle to my wife. I asked them what am I suppose to do about all the rust problems and they really didnt have a answer and said I need to talk to the service manager that was not there at the time. I have made every attempt to radicate this issue that has been getting worse over time. Vehicle is garage kept and was purchased new as we are the only owner of this vehicle. Myself and everyone else know Toyota knows about this problem and refused to do anything about it. My fear is that we are on a trip and have catastrophic failure of one or more components and getting in a accident. There was no accident yet.

- Robertsdale, PA, USA

Dec 012007

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while having routine maintenance performed, the technician stated that the pistons were frozen and the front brake calipers needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that the front brake caliper was replaced once every year from the date of purchase. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 45,000.

- Scarsdale, NY, USA

Jul 022010

The pistons in both front calipers have frozen up and had to be replaced twice. The first time at 90,000 miles and again at 160,000. Many forums on the 4th gen 4runners document many people others having had the same problem. I asked the dealer and they said that it was not a problem they were aware of. This seems to be a design/factory defect. It is very dangerous.

- Shelbiana, KY, USA

Apr 212013

Coming to a stop sign at about 30 mph I applied brakes at normal pressure. There was a loud snap and car suddenly veered hard left. Took it to service center for evaluation. The front right rotor was broken. The disc had separated from the hat. Service center replaced both front rotors and inspected all brakes, on July 24th, the same thing happened with the front left rotor, which is only a few months old. Something very dangerous is wrong with the brake system on this vehicle that is actually breaking the rotors. If this were to happen at higher speeds it could cause complete loss of control of the vehicle.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 242013

4Runner 6-cyl

We were stopped at a stop light at the time of the incident. An alarm went off in the car and the red brake light came on. At that point we rolled the car to see if the brakes were working. This is when we realized there were no brakes and the only break we had was our emergency brake. It was taken to a nearby mechanic where it was determined that a caliper over-extended causing the brake fluid to leak out- losing the hydraulic brake system all together. Luckily we were not moving at the time of the incident because having lost the entire break system while moving could have been extremely dangerous.

- Lancaster, NY, USA

Nov 302012

Driving in rain on freeway connector road, 25 mph, required to use brakes due to another driver illegally swerving from slow lane of freeway adjacent to connector road, across two solid lines, in front of a car that hit their brakes, and was rear-ended by a second car, which was in front of me. I had plenty of distance to stop, but when I stepped on my brakes, they instantly locked up and my 4runner immediately began to control at all to slow down, and it felt like I actually increased speed. I know what ABS feels like, and my brakes are new, installed in July 2012 at a Toyota dealer service dept. This ABS system failed! no pulsating feeling, nothing but locked up brakes, which resulted in my hitting the car in front of me. The truck that made the change, and was almost 90 degrees to the lane we were in then took off. He was not hit, but I chased and caught him for chp. My 4runner is crushed because of an idiot, and the failure of my ABS to properly function. I have been safely driving 44 years.

- Lakeside, CA, USA

May 312012

I brought my car in for regular service and new brake pads and rotors. I was told one of the brake calipers on the front wheels was frozen. If the brake caliper is frozen, then the car has significantly reduced stopping power. There was no engine light indicating the problem. Multiple people have complained about calipers on the 4 runner. Please conduct an investigation and seek a response from Toyota.

- Hanover, MA, USA