CarComplaints.com Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2007 Toyota 4Runner brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota 4Runner:

2007 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jul 132015

4Runner

The braking system vibrates and squeals when driving and braking... told the ABS/master cylinder system needs to be replaced at the cost of $3082.25. Started noticing problems at about 128000 miles on vehicle. Doesn't seem right that there is a major malfunction/repair needed with such low mileage

- Concord, CA, USA

Jun 032015

4Runner

The dashboard alarm sounded and the ABS, vsc, brake, and traction control warning lights illuminated. This was followed by complete brake failure. Fully depressing the brake pedal would not stop the vehicle. Dealer diagnosed a failed master cylinder assembly.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Oct 302014

4Runner 6-cyl

Vehicle purchased used July 2011 w/ 45K miles. In May 2012 at 55K had brakes repaired, all 4 wheels new rotors pads and hardware. In 2014 noticed brake fluid leaking from caliper and discoloring wheels. Dealer service verified front calipers frozen (guide pins and pads rusted in place as well as caliper pistons). This appears to be a design flaw as the caliper does not incorporate any protective boot for the guide pins or any interface between the pad shoe and the caliper body. The caliper body and guide pin appear to be easily oxidized, a fact that Toyota attributes to "environmental conditions". apparently Toyota designs for the mildest conditions rather than the harshest. Oddly, it is only the front caliper with this design: The rear caliper incorporates a more modern design with a boot for the guide bolt.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Aug 112014

4Runner

While driving with my entire family on I-95, the vehicle ABS assembly began cycling repeatedly. When depressing the brakes while the ABS was cycling, the brake pedal would grind and slippage occurred in the pedal pressure. No warning lights.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Jul 292014

4Runner

Over the past 9-12 months I have owned the 4runner, I have noticed the floormats slide up behind the brake and acceleration pedal when I am constantly switching between the two (eg. Heavy traffic, long trips, etc.). I usually am able to pull them back down at a stoplight or stop sign; however, on Tuesday, July 29th, I was involved in an auto accident that was not only in heavy traffic, but while on a 200+ mile trip as well. I believe that the floor mat caused my car to have limited braking ability in addition to possible increased acceleration. The NHTSA's findings seem to be consistent with this. Additionally, the complaint with NHTSA id number: 10384563 states that "I pushed on the brake... but the car continued accelerating" and then "Toyota inspected the vehicle... and said they adjusted the mat" is one of many that have findings consistent with the malfunction that caused my wreck.

- Arcadia, OK, USA

Aug 032013

4Runner

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the emergency brake was used in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the master cylinder ABS ECU assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Coppell, TX, USA

Jul 212013

4Runner

Machines break but when parts represent a risk of fatality, they should be more closely scrutinized. I got lucky when the brake booster assembly went out in my 2007 Toyota 4runner while it was parked and running in my garage for 5 minutes while I unloaded it. Had I not made the decision to let the car run while I unloaded it, a decision that I first questioned, it more than likely would've gone out the following morning when I pulled out of my steeply sloped driveway. A drop of about 10-15 feet is directly across from my driveway and there is nothing to stop anything from rolling down that drop besides the multitude of hardwoods there. I could've been on the interstate or traversing the hills and slopes that we deal with daily. A parking brake will only do so much. My 4runner is well-maintained. In fact, it had received it's regular maintenance only 5 days prior to the brake booster assembly's failure. There was no warning;no noise, no feeling, no weird behavior-just buzzers and warning lights after the fact. The car almost rolled through the garage door as well as the house. It took all of my might to stop it at 1-3 mph. I am grateful for what did not happen but concerned about any other unsuspecting 4runner owner and anyone around that 4runner if the same happens. I've been happy with my 4runner and felt safe in it until July 21. It is my third 4runner in a row. They are fantastic SUV's. I have a great relationship with my dealership, especially my service tech, who I feel looks out for me and my 4runner. But after researching brake booster assemblies in 4runners, I see multiple crashes and scary stories involving this part. I see it is unrelated to mileage or maintenance or vehicle age. It's happened at 2months old, 2 years old, 200K miles. The risk of fatality is too high to let this issue remain unattended to.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Nov 202012

4Runner

I come to a stop and my vehicle pulls, like somebody hit my vehicle from behind. Its constant, it happens all the time. I did take it to a dealer and they said there was nothing that could be done, they advised Toyota had not come out with a recall yet for that problem. They advised it was a common problem with the drivetrain. I really do not want this vehicle any more if it is always going to do this.. what makes me mad is that I just bought this vehicle in July....... what can be done.

- Edinburg, TX, USA

Aug 112012

4Runner

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph and applying the brakes, the brakes abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The ABS system warning light then illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who replaced the hydro-booster braking system. The manufacturer was notified who advised that there were no recalls and he should file a complaint. They offered no further assistance. The failure mileage was 103,000 and the current mileage was 104,000.

- North Charleston, SC, USA

May 292012

4Runner

The contact owns a 2007 Toyota 4runner. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, she noticed that her vehicle would not stop once the brakes were applied. She had to utilize the emergency brake and was able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repair. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 63,000. The VIN was not available.

- North Miami Beach , FL, USA