Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2007 Toyota 4Runner miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota 4Runner:

2007 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Jun 172015

Severe rust problem on the frame/hitch/rear hatch. We were advised not to use the rear hitch due to the rust and that it could come loose when towing..

- Conway, SC, USA

Feb 112016

Melted black back door lift gate release switch. Part#84840-35010 dealer said it was shorted out that caused it to melt and become sticky.

- Buford, GA, USA

Apr 152015

The rubber on the inside the tailgate handle has melted and eroded. It is sticky to the touch and consists of a black tar-like substance. Year round the handle is difficult to latch. This is an obviously faulty part, and should be replaced as the manufacturer is well aware of this issue. I heard that Toyota shipped a punch of faulty door openers like this in 2006.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Sep 292015

The vehicle was in motion on a town 2 lane highway, speed limit 40, goog weather, when the car suddenly turned to the left and made a loud beeping noise. I turned it back to gain control and return to the correct line of travel. Brought it to the dealer where system tests were performed per Toyota and nothing was found to be wrong. This had happened before.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Aug 222011

While traveling under cruise control at 55- 60 mph on a rural 2 lane highway in nc, I came upon a vehicle in my lane traveling at a slower rate of speed. As I approached the vehicle, I accelerated to pass. While passing I could tell that the vehicle felt like it was moving faster than the 60 - 65 mph it should have been for the amount of gas I gave it, but I was concentrating on completing the pass and did not look at the speedometer. After passing and pulling back into my lane, I depressed the brake to slow down. My vehicle slowed slightly but felt odd, like it was pulling. When I removed my foot from the brake, my vehicle began rapidly accelerating on its own, quickly getting to about 70 - 75 mph before I depressed the brake again. Again the vehicle slowed slightly but felt odd, like it was pulling. When I removed my foot from the brake, my vehicle again rapidly accelerated on its own, at which point I realized something was wrong and depressed the brake harder. The vehicle pulled harder this time and started vibrating severely. I removed my foot from the brake and the vehicle again began accelerating. I shifted to neutral and brought the car to a stop on the side of the road. Over the next ~ 20 minutes I tried ~ 4 - 5 times to crank the car. Each time the engine immediately revved such that the tachometer almost instantly hit red zone, and I cut the engine off. I called Toyota's "800" phone number, and they told me to get the car to a totota dealer. Before calling a tow truck, I tried cranking the car one more time, and that time the engine cranked normally.

- Waxhaw, NC, USA

Jun 012008

Purchased pre-owned 4 runner "certified? from russel Toyota 12/07 with approx 21K miles. Complained of unusual brake performance immediately but was told the vehicle was ?performing to factory specs? brake performance issues including aggressive stopping, stiff pedal, loss of pressure, and random ?anti-skid system? responses nearly caused a few accidents. On 3/14, approx 23K miles, complete brake failure, no pressure, accident avoided and coasted vehicle to a stop, pressure did not return. 4runner towed to dealer, master cylinder was ?internally leaking" and replaced. Symptoms continue and vehicle is completely unsafe. Numerous attempts have failed to re-produce the intermittent problem at the dealer and therefore the dealer keeps saying there is nothing wrong. Vehicle is unsafe and Toyota unwilling to help and referred us to ncds dispute resolution program or told us we can file a suit. This vehicle is unsafe and should be replaced. Breaks continue to fail/malfunction approximately 1 time per week. Dealer always says no problems found.

- Baltimore, MD, USA