Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Although it has a stellar record in terms of vehicle problems, initially the 4th generation (2003 - 2009) 4Runner didn't earn our top "Seal of Awesome" rating because it received poor crash test ratings for rear impacts. However it's proven to have one of the lowest driver death rates out of all vehicles (not just SUVs), so we've bumped it back up to our top award.

2009 Toyota 4Runner seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota 4Runner:

2009 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Sep 102009

4Runner 6-cyl

I was driving in the left/fast lane on a toll road when another vehicle who was speeding in excess of 55mph entering the toll road crossing and cutting off the other lanes of traffic running into me on the passenger side forcing me into the concrete wall/barrier head on. His vehicle swung into again into my passenger rear side then bounced off. I was stunned, in shock, unable to exit on my side and didn't see it coming. I was thrown left into the frame and window and jerked around even though I had my seat belt fastened. The air bags did not deploy. I had front and side curtain airbags and had only just purchased the 4runner a few months prior. It was declared to be totaled. I permanently injured my neck, back and broke my nose. In addition, I have anxiety and panic attacks about driving. The other driver was cited at fault for failure to control speed and unsafe lane changes and his insurance paid for my totaled vehicle and what little insurance coverage he had for my personal injuries. I was just now notified that there was a problem with my vehicle's air bags and sensors (a recall), now that it is almost exactly 4 years from the accident, there is nothing I can apparently do to hold Toyota at fault due to statute of limitations. This very upsetting. I am fully disabled now and will be on pain management and periodic physical therapy for the rest of my life, and can no longer even perform simple chores.

- Houston, TX, USA