3.6

2012 Toyota 4Runner electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Toyota 4Runner:

2012 Toyota 4Runner Owner Comments

Apr 172016

4Runner

Squirrels keep eating my electrical wiring and the wiring harness. They access the engine bay through the openings in the wheel wells after jumping on top of the tires. The results have disabled my ABS, 4WD, limited slip, etc. I've tried rodent repellent, fox urine, and parking in the garage. Nothing helps. Toyota needs to stop using soy based wiring, and they need to close the holes in the wheel wells.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 032015

4Runner 4WD 6-cyl

After oil change the eco light is not on, keep off the oil used was 5W30.

- San Pedro De Macoris, MA, USA

Oct 152014

4Runner 6-cyl

Toyota uses new green (environment friendly) wiring that is tasty to rodents and other pest- they are aware that it can attract animals to eat the wiring and electrical systems on their vehicles and refuse to cover the damages incurred on the warranty - they refer the customers to seek monetary aide from their insurance company - in my case it was $3000 in damages to my vehicle for a rat eating the wires /electrical system. My insurance paid for it - but how can I be assured it will not occur again. ?? Toyota needs to be responsible.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Jul 312013

4Runner 6-cyl

I came home last night at about 9:30 pm and parked the car in the garage. This morning at 7:30 am I went into the garage and heard a buzzing sound coming from near the rear wheels of the car. My best guess was the fuel pump was still running (I had a different problem with a fuel pump not running when the ignition was turned on with a 2000 Jaguar about a year ago). I turned the ignition on and off without cranking the engine, the buzzing continued. I started the 4runner, ran it for about 20 seconds, and shut the engine off. Buzzing stopped.

- Prescott, AZ, USA