5.4

2006 Toyota Avalon accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Avalon:

2006 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Feb 242010

Avalon

The day after my car had 3 recalls corrected, I was driving around 20 mph when the car started to take off. I put the brake on real hard and got it stopped at about 35 mph. Needless to say my passenger and I were scared to death.

- Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 012006

Avalon

This is not a complaint, but a follow up to complaints regarding the Toyota automobile that their throttle sticks open causing unwanted acceleration. March 2006 I bought a new Toyota Avalon XLS from david bruce, bourbonnais, il. About six months following this purchase, I was pulling away from a red light accelerating rather quickly. When I let up on the accelerator, the car continued to accelerate. While applying the brake with the left foot, I put my right foot under the accelerator petal in an effort to raise it. It was not stuck in a downward position and I was able to raise it up and down with my foot with the car still accelerating. At this point I stomped on the accelerator petal many hard times with my right foot. Finally the problem resolved itself and the acceleration stopped. I tried to duplicate this problem many times afterwards without success. I looked at the accelerator petal, floor mat, and the area around it to make sure that there was nothing the might have caused this problem. I talked to david bruce about it and figured it was a freak occurrence. Over the past two years I never thought about it again until the news media and Toyota began an investigation into the problem. When this problem occurred, I did not think of using the start/off button to shut off the engine, but am aware of it now. The reason for the letter is that Toyota is looking at the driver side floor mat as a possible problem and I feel that this is not the area where the problem is occurring. In my case I am 95 percent certain it was not a floor mat that caused the acceleration as I was able to put my foot under the accelerator pedal without the decrease its acceleration. But, in all fairness to Toyota, there could have been an unknown reason why my floor mat interacted with the accelerator petal that I did not see.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA