2006 Toyota Avalon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Avalon:

2006 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Dec 012015

Avalon

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the brake pedal was depressed with extreme force but the vehicle failed to stop. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the master cylinder was leaking and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 10V499000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage was approximately 48,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Dec 212015

Avalon

The contact owned a 2006 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The contact crashed into a cement barrier. The contact sustained bruises that did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 108,000.

- Redford, MI, USA

Sep 272015

Avalon

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While driving approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed; however, the vehicle failed to accelerate causing the vehicle to crash into another vehicle. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000. Updated 11/19/15

- Buffalo, NY, USA

May 252015

Avalon

When the vehicle is about to come to a full stop the brake feels like it push back towards me. It almost feel like the car is not going to stop. I brought the car to the dealership. The mechanic observe the same issue but was unable to determine the cause.

- Lakeplacid, FL, USA

May 152012

Avalon

Right front caliper froze; did not retract piston. No braking as a result of brake pads destroyed.. after repair in 2012, same caliper again froze and required identical repair in April of 2015 at 58,000 miles.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Apr 182015

Avalon 6-cyl

On April 17, 2012 bayside Toyota replaced the brake master cylinder seal on the Avalon under recall# 10V499000. Almost exactly 3 years later on April 18, 2015 the brake master cylinder seal failed as I was backing the car out of my garage. I was able to use my parking brake to stop the vehicle. Toyota claims that although the original seal never failed after 6 years of service it was replaced because it was a safety concern. The new seal failed after 3 years and Toyota claims it is only covered by a 12 month component warranty and is an "inconvenience" but not a safety issue. Toyota gave me a case number but said there was nothing else they could do. Had I been driving the car at full speed the results would have been catastrophic. I am having the car repaired at my own cost but I have no faith that the brake system is safe.

- Hunitingtown, MD, USA

Dec 012014

Avalon

I have a safety concern with the brakes slow to stop. I have replaced them I think twice through Toyota. But the issue never seem to totally go away. Below is the issue showing I am not the only one with this safety problem. But Toyota refuse to acknowledge this problem is real even with the campaign on it. Report receipt date: Oct 21, 2010 NHTSA campaign number: 10V499000 component(s): Service brakes, hydraulic Toyota is recalling certain model year 2005-2006 Avalon, a leak of brake fluid could lead to a change in brake pedal feel and overtime a degradation in braking performance increasing the risk of a crash resolve for me would be: Dealers will replace the seal with a newly designed one. This service will be performed free of charge.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 032014

Avalon 6-cyl

I had started driving and all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated. I applied brakes and had difficulty stopping it. I took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership and they could not find the cause of the acceleration. They suggested to call Toyota corporation and provided me with a 800 number. I told the rep of the problem and she informed me that the acceleration problem was resolved and new mats were issued to the customers. I acknowledged that the vehicle in 2010 was checked by Toyota and issued mats. I have not had any problems after that time but in March 2014, the acceleration started again. She said the issue is resolved and settled. I am concerned whether the acceleration problem was not what Toyota pinpointed and told us the problem was resolved. Why is this problem occurring after 4 years" what steps can be taken to ensure safety in driving this vehicle"

- Terrytown, LA, USA