2006 Toyota Avalon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Avalon:

2006 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 252006

I have experienced the sudden acceleration on my vehicle but was able to lock up the wheels in gravel to kill the engine. No accident resulted. I want to inform the investigation group that the problem is not floor mat, accelerator pedal or any other excuse that Toyota and the ex NHTSA employees that hired to coverup the reports. The problem is in the electronic controls. Toyota has a multitude of electronic problems.

- North Providence, RI, USA

Feb 062010

When slowing my 2006 Avalon for turn, speed bump, etc. And then accelerating there is often a lag in the transmission engaging and when it does the car lurches. I have complained many times to 2 different dealers about this since the car was new. After a year or so 1 dealer said that Toyota had issued an adjustment procedure which they performed. The problem went away for a while but has returned. In light of the recent recalls and stories about possible electronic problems with these cars I wanted to add my story to the list. I consider this a serious safety issue since the lag in transmission engagement could cause an accident when making a left turn, especially if it worsens. Further, the only way I know about this latest recall is through the news - Toyota has not notified me directly. This makes the third recall on this car - floor mats, vvt-I oil hose and now accelerator! needles to say - I am not happy with my purchase and will seriously try to convince my wife to take our business elsewhere in the future!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 182006

We have a 2006 Toyota Avalon. When that vehicle is in cruise, and accelerates for a hill, the force is so strong that it's like the accelerator was punched for passing. That behavior has existed since the vehicle was new. Since we live in the hilly part of Arkansas, we never use our cruise control on local roads. We have noted many recent reports of sticking accelerator pedals, and have wondered if the resultant crashes were actually caused by a malfunctioning cruise control system, in conjunction with the reported pedal sticking issue. If that is true, then Toyota's current plans to add shims will not resolve the problem.

- Hot Springs Village, AR, USA

Nov 062009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While driving 60 mph with the cruise control engaged, the electrical system speed control setting decreased the speed to 10 mph. The dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Aug 112007

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While decreasing speed to 25 mph, the vehicle lunged forward 2 to 3 feet. On several occasions the vehicle would idle and the RPM's rapidly increased. The vehicle sounded as if a jet were taking off whenever the vehicle was turned on. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer twice but the diagnostic test did not indicate any failure codes. The contact stated the vehicle is unsafe since it could potentially cause a crash when it lunged forward. The failure mileage was 42,000.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 102006

2006 Avalon accelerates from 40 miles per hour to 100 miles per hour when in the cruise control -- I feel my life is in danger and I do not use my cruise control because of this, but I am afraid that it may come in accidentally -- please help me!

- Elysburg, PA, USA

Jan 192010

Problems with 20006 Toyota Avalon: On numerous occasions, the car has accelerated spontaneously and the brakes have not stopped the car when the brake pedal was depressed. Luckily, no accidents yet. Recent problems with engine malfunction and vehicle stability control malfunction. Toyota dealer denied any problems, except for "spark plugs" and oil line defect. Dealer denied car was on recall list. Complained that I was never notified about the mat, gas pedal or other recall. Dealer denied that car was on recall list. Dealer charged $1,100 (4 tires included) for work. Ongoing problem since car was purchased: Gas cap is difficult to replace after fill-up. Check engine light comes on if cap is not "clicked" several times. Car must be taken to dealer to be turned off. It will not go off even if gas cap is on properly. Dealer charged $135 for each time.

- West Babylon, NY, USA

Jan 012010

This administration should demand that Toyota fix the pedal issue immediately. Current owners should have the same fix as all new models with respect to this pedal issue. I took my car in for service and complained about this pedal issue about 2-3 years ago. I was told at that time by the technician that it was a fuel energy saving device. He made it sound that my car was safe. Therefore, I think Toyota's records are flawed as to the exact number of complaints consumers (current owners) have made to service departments. In addition I purchased an additional 7 year extended warranty with my car through a Toyota dealer. Toyota should be mandated by us gov to fix the issue for all current owners, regardless if car is under warranty. A total replacement is necessary immediately. I have always suspected that the pedal was not safe. I had many concerns about someone hitting me in the back end or me hitting someone else on my front end. Toyota has known about this issue too long and they should immediately fix it!!

- Mableton, GA, USA

Mar 042007

I owned a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While driving on mountain road, as I rounded a curve, my car seemed to surge. A dog crossed in front of me as I came into the curve. I slammed on brakes and could not get car to stop I spun out of control and hit the bank on every corner of car as well as head on. Car finally came to rest about 150 yards from where I began braking. I was shaken up but not hurt. I am now convinced my gas pedal stuck or something electronically happened. My husband asked me what happened and I told him I honestly could not explain what happened. My vehicle was a total loss and my insurance paid; however, I purchased a 2007 Avalon and I am extremely nervous living here in the mountains and driving this car. I don't have VIN or mileage handy but can get info from my insurance agent if necessary.

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Jan 052010

My 2006 Toyota Avalon has been giving me problems with the floor mats and accelerator getting stuck for over two years and now the accelerator gets stuck on its own. I am afraid to drive it back and forth on the highway and hope that Toyota would replace it with a rental car until it can fix it.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Jan 222010

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While driving 35 mph the accelerator pedal became stuck and the vehicle accelerated. The contact had to place both feet on the brake pedal to stop the vehicle. The contact called the dealership who informed him to call aaa. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who stated that the floor mat could have caused the vehicle to accelerate; however, the contact stated that the floor mats were not positioned to do so. The contact is afraid to drive the vehicle. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 2/17/10 the consumer stated the cruise control was repaired 4 times. Updated 02/22/10

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Dec 122009

I was accelerating when I was changing lanes. I took my foot off the gas pedal and it continued to accelerate hard on its own for about one half of a second. The gas pedal did not stick on the carpet. I do have the correct carpet and it was properly installed in place.

- Olympia , WA, USA

Nov 172009

I was turning left at about 20 M.P.H. I tried to accelerate with the gas pedal about three quarters of the way to the floor. The car would not accelerate but very, very, slowly.

- Olympia, WA, USA

Nov 142009

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. In November 2009 while driving 45 mph on a highway, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The failure recurred on January 16, 2010. The failure mileage was 46,500. The current mileage was 47,262. Updated 02/17/10

- Lousville, KY, USA

Jul 142007

Sudden acceleration.

- Arden Hills, MN, USA

Nov 222009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While driving the vehicle suddenly accelerated without intention. Consequently she crashed into cement and a fence inside of a parking lot. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to a body shop. She was advised by the manufacturer to remove the floor mats. The current and failure mileages were approximately 12,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Sep 012006

This is not a complaint, but a follow up to complaints regarding the Toyota automobile that their throttle sticks open causing unwanted acceleration. March 2006 I bought a new Toyota Avalon XLS from david bruce, bourbonnais, il. About six months following this purchase, I was pulling away from a red light accelerating rather quickly. When I let up on the accelerator, the car continued to accelerate. While applying the brake with the left foot, I put my right foot under the accelerator petal in an effort to raise it. It was not stuck in a downward position and I was able to raise it up and down with my foot with the car still accelerating. At this point I stomped on the accelerator petal many hard times with my right foot. Finally the problem resolved itself and the acceleration stopped. I tried to duplicate this problem many times afterwards without success. I looked at the accelerator petal, floor mat, and the area around it to make sure that there was nothing the might have caused this problem. I talked to david bruce about it and figured it was a freak occurrence. Over the past two years I never thought about it again until the news media and Toyota began an investigation into the problem. When this problem occurred, I did not think of using the start/off button to shut off the engine, but am aware of it now. The reason for the letter is that Toyota is looking at the driver side floor mat as a possible problem and I feel that this is not the area where the problem is occurring. In my case I am 95 percent certain it was not a floor mat that caused the acceleration as I was able to put my foot under the accelerator pedal without the decrease its acceleration. But, in all fairness to Toyota, there could have been an unknown reason why my floor mat interacted with the accelerator petal that I did not see.

- Bourbonnais, IL, USA

Jul 282009

The contact owns a 2006 Toyota Avalon. While attempting to accelerate onto the highway ramp, the accelerator pedal became stuck to the floor. She used her right foot to separate the accelerator pedal from the floor of the vehicle. She was able to discontinue the unintended vehicle acceleration. The vehicle was not diagnosed by the dealership. The current and failure mileages were 19000.

- Bossier City, LA, USA

Oct 172009

I have a 2006 Toyota Avalon and have had the accelerator get stuck four times over the past two years. Each time was when I was pushing the accelerator down hard to gain speed. Three times I was forced to put both feet on the brakes as hard as I could to slow the acceleration and luckily I was in open stretches where I didn't have intersections or oncoming traffic to contend with. The fourth time was just recently, after I had heard about the recall and after I had verified the floor mats were secured properly. I actually reached down with my right hand and unstuck the accelerator. The floor mat was not in contact with the accelerator at all. This is a very unsafe condition. When this has happened, it has been terrifying and I am lucky it did not happen on a busy street. I literally had to put the full force of both feet on the brakes to slow down the uncontrolled acceleration. When I drive now, I am very careful not to fully engage the accelerator, for fear of it getting stuck and I also make sure I'm able to reach down to grab the accelerator if it gets stuck again. I have told my wife about this to make her aware of the problem and a way to "fix" it while driving, but this is not an acceptable condition and Toyota is wrong in saying it's strictly a floor mat issue.

- Rancho Santa Margarita, CA, USA

Nov 042009

I concur with the Toyota owners who are saying that the problem is some electronic glitch. I have also experienced this. I only have the carpet mats, not the all weather ones, and just had them checked at the dealer and they are properly fastened. My car most often experiences a problem ( on occasion) when you "yield" at an intersection and don't stop--the car bucks or then bolts. It needs more looking into. These high speed accelerations being reported are scary!

- Itasca, IL, USA