2006 Toyota Avalon miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Toyota Avalon:

2006 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Jan 312013

Avalon

Cracks in the dash board that keep getting bigger. Up to one year to replace. Un safe to wait that long

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jul 072016

Avalon

While sitting at a stop light, I heard a tremendous, sharp noise coming from the rear of the car. I thought the car had been hit with a rock or hard ball, but nobody in the cars around me seemed to have any concern or acknowledgement of something having hit my car. Upon pulling over and opening the trunk, I realized the trunk had no counterbalance and would not pop open or stay opened once manually lifted, creating a dangerous situation in which the trunk, without being held open, will slam shut with tremendous force. I have taken the car to two separate shops and they explained that the torsion bar ripped through/out of the brackets holding it onto the trunk structure. The repairs will require welding inside the trunk--a very expensive and potentially dangerous repair. The brackets will need to be removed and replaced. Both shops expressed that this appears to have been a design flaw and that it really should not have happened if the trunk had been properly designed and manufactured with sufficiently strong parts.

- Worthington, OH, USA

Jun 282012

Avalon

2006 Toyota Avalon. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle remote starting device. Smd the consumer stated her parents purchased a new vehicle back in 2006. The vehicle came equipped with a keyless remote starting system. All it took, was to have the device in ones pocket and her father could get in the vehicle, press a button and the vehicle would start up. When her father arrived at his destination, all he had to do was, put the vehicle in park, press the remote button and the engine would shut off. On June 28, 2012, when the consumers father returned home, he parked the vehicle in the garage and went in the house. Hours later, the consumers father was found deceased in the house from carbon monoxide poisoning. The smell of the poisonous gas was overwhelming throughout the house because after her dad took his packages out of the car and into the house, he closed the garage, and never shut off the remote starter button. From morning all through the day, carbon monoxide slowly seeped in the kitchen where the garage was attached, through the kitchen and into the den where her dad was sitting. The consumer stated had there been an automatic shut off system that activated after a preset time, when there was no weight in the driver's seat, much like the air bags on the passenger side, this senseless tragedy would have never occurred.

- Westbrook, CT, USA

Aug 152007

Avalon

Twice since we purchased this car, the torsion rod holders which hold the trunk lid open have failed, causing the lid to crash down abruptly. The first time occurred at about the date shown above. The problem was repaired. The second incident occurred on April 4, 2011(46,000 miles) shortly after my wife lifted the lid to remove some groceries. She narrowly escaped serious injury when it slammed down. She could have been killed. This is not acceptable. There must be a defect in the design which has caused this to occur twice. Toyota should be forced to provide a permanent solution to this problem which I'm sure is not just limited to my vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012011

Avalon

Consumer writes in regards to a recall on his 2006 Toyota Avalon the consumer stated he received a recall notice in the mail, but when he contacted the dealer to make an appointment, he was informed the next available appointment wasn't until May.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 142010

Avalon 6-cyl

2006 Toyota Avalon. Consumer writes to obtain a more detailed description of the recall maintenance work that was performed on his vehicle.

- Clinton, MD, USA

Dec 162008

Avalon

Car acceleration out of control foot pedal acceleration but also electrical problems exsisted as well. Within the last year and a half at least twice a month. Fear of operating the vechicle. Recall and electrical repairs were done.: parts repaired and replacd are as followed. Ignition coil "B" primary/secondary circuit modify accelerator pedal and floor surface replace oil cooler hose replace vvti hose and kit oil hose no. 1

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 012010

Avalon

I was coasting into a parking stall in my 2006 Toyota Avalon when all of the sudden it roared very loud and sped forward into the parking sign that fortunately stopped the car. Damage was done to the right front fender of the car. No injuries occurred. I hadan apppointment with the Toyota dealer for repairs to be done for the recall items that same day even though I had not received a letter from Toyota as of that date. The car damages was repaired at a body shop and then taken to the dealship for repair of the recall items. A letter from Toyota was finally received about the recall after the fact.

- Waverly, KS, USA

Mar 072010

Avalon

Sudden acceleration. When first starting the engine, it revved up to about 2,500 rpms. A second episode occurred a few days later when I was driving downhill and my foot was on the brake. The vehicle suddenly accelerated to about 40 mph. At no time was my foot on the accelerator pedal in either situation. In both of these instances, the sudden acceleration resolved within a few seconds. These incidents occurred after safety recall work was performed by Toyota on March 6, 2010. At this time, these are the only occasions where I experienced problems of this nature. I am concerned for the safety of my passengers and myself. I am in the process of reporting these problems to the dealership.

- Snoqualmie, WA, USA

Mar 092009

Avalon

I have a Toyota Avalon that had a defected oil pipe. My car started leaking oil due to this defect, when I took the car to the dealership they were aware of the problem and new of the defect in Avalons and Camry at that time the part was on backorder for 3 weeks. All the people that I know who own a Avalon 2006 to 2009 have had the same problem. When I reported it to Toyota corporate the customer service person said they wer not aware of an issue. When I called the dealer prior to bring the car in they what the issue was when I described what the car was doing. At that time I did not know who to report this defect to.

- Winston, GA, USA

Jun 162009

Avalon

2006 abalone with 63,000 miles, while I was driving in the highway my ac light flickered, then check engine light came on. I opened the hood there was no oil in the engine and the left side of the engine was covered with engine oil. There was a leak in the vvt oil line. Toyota issued a tech tip TV12310 in septemberof 2008 recommending replacement of the oil line, but there was no recall on it. I have no idea if my engine survived this incident it is still in the shop waiting for estimate.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA