4.2

2008 Toyota Avalon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Jun 132015

Avalon

The car accelerated on it's own, brakes were locked !!! I made a left turn after a stop sign and the car just took off on it's own - accelerating up to 50 miles per hour. I slammed on the brakes, but they were locked. I quickly put the car in neutral, it slowed the car down about 10-12 miles. To avoid cars in front of me - I then put the car in park. After an ugly noise and jerking of the car...it did stop! there were no injuries or property damage. It was a horrific experience. The car was in full throttle! had it towed to a mechanic.....it was still at full throttle when he looked at it a couple days later. He advised me to call Toyota. Toyota said it was out of warranty. I just want my car fixed,

- Palos Park, IL, USA

May 312012

Avalon 6-cyl

Started to back out of drive and was unable to control the car in reverse and brakes would not work. Had to put the car in park while rolling to bring it to a stop. I never experienced this behavior in the car before. Reported to Toyota as a safety issue. They sent a third party eng. Out to run tests on the car. After he got done doing some disassembly to look at the control linkage he reassembled the parts removed improperly and the car had to be toad to the dealer to be repaired. I have had numerous calls to Toyota who was supposed to send me a written report of their findings. It now July 9th. I was told by a representative from Toyota that a report was mailed July 3rd. I would appreciate it if a call could be made to Toyota to let me know if this car is safe to drive. I've waiting way to long for an answer.

- Manville, NJ, USA