2008 Toyota Avalon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Mar 312010

Avalon 6-cyl

Two years ago both bright headlights failed. Dealer replaced bulbs at my expense. On 3/12/2012 both bulbs on the drivers side failed. Dealer said the vehicle had defective headlight assembly that Toyota knew about that had to be replaced ($1265.30) at my expense because vehicle had over 50000 miles (car now has 85000 miles). I called Toyota and they confirmed that this was true. My question to Toyota was, if I was driving on a busy highway at night and both defective assemblies failed wouldn't my safety be in jeopardy and if so why wasn't this car recalled?

- Winchester, IL, USA

Nov 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

Over the course of 1 month both high beams exploded while driving at night. Bulb chips are inside the assembly. Headlight leveling system not functioning on 1 side, light is pointing to the ground.

- Brookfield, Wi, WI, USA

Dec 062011

Avalon

Hid high beam headlight on driver's side failed. Light was replaced in may, 2011. Hid low beam headlight on passenger side failed on 12/13/11.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Dec 062011

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Aug 012011

Avalon 6-cyl

While driving with the low beam headlights on either the right or the left light went out. Replaced both hid lights but issue keeps coming back. When I turn the light off and then on the lights come back on. However after a couple of minutes one of the lights go off again. It seems to be random, but some times both go out this is an obvious safety issue. Called Toyota to file a complaint as the dealer did not want to take care of this. Toyota frankly told us that this is not their issue. Looking at many other owners having the same issue this is a safety defect. We live in the mountains and without lights you have very dangerous situations especially in the winter. P.S. this is not the high beam issue but rather the normal head light.

- Evergreen, CO, USA

Nov 132011

Avalon 6-cyl

Idling in the driveway with the high beams illuminated, we heard what seemed like a firework or small arms fire. Moments later the vehicle was on fire. We extinguished the fire and disconnected the battery cables. The vehicle was towed in to the local Toyota body shop where it was examined, diagnosed, & repaired. The drivers side headlight lens, bumper cover, & cowling were replaced due to melting and fire damage, the wiring harness was inspected and repaired(it had been determined it hadn't been damaged other than inspection) all parts were reserved for my inspection. I had been told the high beam had worked itself loose & caused the fire. This did not happen!!! the bulb had exploded in the housing, minute pieces of glass were inside the headlight housing, & the only damage to it was external charring. I have stored the lens for inspection, proving the explosion theory. I thank the lord we were not driving at the time or the vehicle would have burned to a crisp. We received a form letter from Toyota a "warranty enhancement notice" concerning certain 2008- 2010 Avalon's high beam drl bulbs. Obviously they have had other issues as they have offered reimbursement if we have had any repairs paid for "out of pocket" this bulb exploded.....it caused a fire in the engine compartment, its only by the grace of god that we were idling in a driveway near a water source, and I have had fire safety training. I have since purchased a large extinguisher and carry it it the vehicle. We are very anxious & cautious driving the vehicle now.

- Port Arthur, TX, USA

Nov 112010

Avalon 6-cyl

Failure: High beam/drl bulbs hir1 9011. In November 2010, the right front hid low beam bulb was flickering and failed. As part of the right front hid low beam bulb replacement, I decided to replace both oe toshiba high beam/drl bulbs with philips replacements. Toshiba no longer manufactures the hir1 9011 bulbs. This move was strictly a precautionary action. Kept the toshiba bulbs as spares. Within 6 months one philips hir1 bulb failed in the drl mode and the other bulb failed in the high beam mode. Reused the toshiba bulbs.

- Douglassville, PA, USA

Oct 142011

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated the engine failed and the vehicle would not start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who performed a diagnostic test that located the failure in the throttle body wires, electrical system wires, and the fuel system wires that failed due to rodents who chewed the wires. The manufacturer would not cover the repairs under the warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 61,000.

- Detroit , MI, USA

Jul 252011

Avalon

It started off with my low beam hid lights on my passenger side...it would burn very dim and sometimes go out completely. I would turn the lights off and then back on and the light worked somewhat, it would burn but it was dim. A few months later the light completely stopped working so I used my high beams when possible. About a month or two after that (late August/early September 2011) my high beam on the driver side stopped working and it was replaced a little over a year before it stopped working. So that left me with a low-beam on the driverside and a high-beam on the passenger side. A few weeks after the high-beam went out on the driverside the high-beam on the passenger side went out leaving me with only a low-beam on the drivers side and fog lights. And everytime a light went out I was driving down the road and noticed my lights got dim.

- Como, NC, USA

Nov 062010

Avalon

2008 Toyota Avalon defect - high and low beam head lamp assembly in my 2008 Toyota Avalon, I lost my high beams and my left low beam headlights while driving at night. Upon checking bulbs, both high beam 9011H1R1 bulbs blew out (shattered). I found the tsb notice on line (tsb-0044-10) and went to Toyota seeking Toyota to fix the defect. They told me the cost was $2,400 to replace both headlight assemblies. They did offer to split the cost 50/50 with me but I declined stating that it was a defect and was occurring in 2008, 2009 and 2010 Toyota Avalon. In other words, it was a design defect and they should fix it for free. Toyota declined stating it was not a recall but a tsb. This is a safety issue because I lost not only my high beam headlights without warning, but also my left low beam head lamp. Toyota should classify this as a 'recall' and not a tsb.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Aug 012010

Avalon

My 2008 Toyota Avalon headlight(s) are blinking out but when I switch to the automatic made it comes back on.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 062009

Avalon

I own a 2008 Toyota Avalon XL, purchased 01/24/08. Recently, while turning, I hit a pothole. The alarm system started and the car accelerated. I could not get the alarm or the car to stop, even though I was braking. I finally put the car in park and turned off the key. The motor made a sound as though it was dying and finally stopped. I restarted the car and continued without further incident.

- Whitehouse, TX, USA

Dec 012008

Avalon

Musty wet smell inside car when heater or air conditioner fan is turned on. Off and on smell of overheated electrical wires.

- Jamison, PA, USA

Dec 072009

Avalon

I owned a 2008 avolan. It caught fire Dec. 7 2009 and burned up. I thought I needed to report this to someone. I don't want this to happen to someone else, and the result could be death. I got hurt bad but I am better now.

- Hallsville, TX, USA