2008 Toyota Avalon lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 3 of 10)

Nov 272013

Avalon 6-cyl

I purchased my 2008 Avalon new in December 2008 which included an extended warranty for 84 months or 100,000 miles. In November, 2013, I started to notice that my headlights were low. I turned them off and back on which seemed to resolved the issue. (I typically drive with the drl) however, the same issue returned off and on over the new few months. My car was taken in for service on March 22, 2014 and they were advised. I was then informed that the entire assembly for my lights/daytime running/high beams needed to be replaced. I was told there was an enhancement for 5 years or 72000 miles...whichever came first. Unfortunately, my extended warranty which I purchased was not applicable, and the 5 year enhancement expired in December 2013. I was never notified by mail or during any service appointment about this extended warranty or problems with the exterior lighting. I was quoted a cost of $2,600 for the repairs. This is not fair.

- South Euclid, OH, USA

Nov 092013

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated while driving 65 mph at night time, the front drivers side headlight stopped working. Both lights went out at various times. Occasionally at the same time. He vehicle was taken to the dealer and could not determine the cause of failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000. Updated 5/19/14

- Rayle, GA, USA

Mar 232014

I was utilizing the high beam lights periodically on a dark evening. Near the end of a 1 hour and 45 minute trip, the high beams gave a slight flicker and went out. Upon examination today, both lights had blown or shattered. I ordered new bulbs today with $35 each.

- Bloomington Il, IL, USA

Jan 032014

Avalon 6-cyl

We were driving on route 95 in South Carolina it was raining we had been using our bright lights when we suddenly lost our bright lights. When we got to our destination we pulled into a Toyota dealership we were informed our head light and fixtures would need to be replaced due to the fact they both sides had exploded we were treated very poorly by Toyota.upon investigation this is a common problem with the Toyota Avalon and a extended warranty had been issued of which we were never notified of and it had expired.a short period of time before the event happened and it cost us $2600 dollar and had to drive with a hazardous vehicle.

- Manchester, NJ, USA

Feb 122014

The headlight high beams went out while driving. This is a known defect and Toyota is not addressing. They want 3500 with labor to fix this issue. Should be a recall. Headlights going out at night at unpredictable times should be paid by Toyota.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Nov 302013

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that the headlights would fail sporadically and without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the headlight assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 97,614.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Aug 042010

Avalon 6-cyl

Had to replace both high beam bulbs on two occasions (August 4, 2010 (under warranty) and February 4, 2010) including having an electrical component evaluation performed with the last incident.

- Downingtown, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Avalon 6-cyl

Both high beams went out at same time while on dark country road. Low beam on right side cuts out after a few minutes of driving. Toyota knows there is a problem because they extended warranty to 72000 miles for the hid lights. This happened after the warranty. The sudden loss of both high beams created a dangerous situation. Fortunately it did not cause a crash. The low beam cutting out as it does is dangerous. My local dealer says both headlight assemblies need to be replaced at a cost of $2660. Headlights are a necessary safety feature. Toyota must know they have a problem because of the warranty extension and the numerous complaints on the internet. A friend with the same model had the same issue. I am requesting NHTSA to demand Toyota recall the Toyota Avalon limited cars with this type of headlight assembly and replace the lights with a reliable system.

- Mandeville, LA, USA

Jun 052013

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that the headlights would fail sporadically. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the headlight assembly needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Oct 172013

Avalon 6-cyl

We purchased this car in May 2013. For the past few months, the right headlight has been going off intermittently and now the left headlight is starting to do the same thing. The headlight may or may not come back on while driving but will come back on the next time the car is started. Checking online revealed other complaints concerning the same issue, including both headlights going off at the same time - definitely a safety issue. At this point in time, it appears the high beams are okay.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Dec 202012

Avalon 6-cyl

The high beam headlights stopped working. I later learned the bulbs were shattered. Toyota dealer says because the car now has 80,000 plus miles they will not fit it. The cost to repair is $2600.

- Nokomis, FL, USA

Dec 222010

Avalon 6-cyl

Head lights quit working in December of 2010 high beams, Toyota fixed them, high beams quit working again on December 24th 2013. This has happened twice.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Sep 302013

My 2008 Toyota Avalon has a defective high beam / low beam headlamp. The high beam bulb burst while in use one night. The vehicle has less than 43,000 miles, but the 60 month warranty expired in July 2013. I noticed the problem in August, just after the warranty expired. My vehicle was due for a safety inspection in October, so I researched information to repair the headlamp and discovered that it is a common problem for 2008 Toyota Avalons. I went to the dealership in September to determine the repair cost. When the service rep. Saw low mileage, he thought the car was under warranty and estimated the repair to be approx. $1000 to replace the defective headlamp assembly. When he realized the car was out of warranty, he suggested replacing the $65 bulb. I'm concerned that a $1500 repair was instantly reduced to $65 because the car is out of warranty. If the problem is reported within the original warranty period the whole assembly is replaced at no charge and the warranty is extended another 12 months or 12,000 miles. Now I am concerned that the bulb will blow out again at some inconvenient time. High and low beams are required in MA as an annual safety inspection item. Obviously, they are critical for safe driving at night. Why isn't a repair for a common problem / safety hazard like this a recall issue?

- Dracut, MA, USA

Jun 152013

TL- the contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated the driver's and passenger's side headlight stopped illuminating independently. There was a manufacturer recall for the exterior lighting. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 49,500.

- Medford, MA, USA

Oct 252013

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the passenger's side headlight malfunctioned. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the wiring harness and headlights needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 73,000.

- Havelock, NC, USA

Apr 042012

Avalon 6-cyl

While driving my vehicle the headlights will go out intermittently. Initially we thought it was the right bulb but sometimes its the left bulb. After contacting the dealership, we were told that it will be about $1500 to fix this problem. After doing some research, I found out that the problem will not be solved and many owners of the cars are spending in excess of $2500 and the problem continues. Its a safety hazard. I contacted Toyota co and the response I received was "the high intensity discharge bulb has an enhanced light output for a better field of vision and thus safety. The bulbs will turn off if the bulb is starting to overheat in order to protect the electronic control unit. There are times by simply turning off the headlights and then back on the hid will turn back on." The lights can be on for 5 minutes and they will turn off. After doing further research I learned this is not an isolated incident but widespread with 2008 Toyota Avalon. Its dangerous and a safety hazard. Something should be done.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Aug 152012

Avalon 6-cyl

Both high beam lamps went out at the same time while driving at night on a hilly road without any other lights on road -- both bulbs went bad. Dealer at service just wanted to replace them. Several months later I came across bulletin online that stated Toyota would replace housing for lamps with new one provided car was under 72,000 miles and 5 years. Although my car was at 4.5 years at time of incident, when I called into Toyota, I was at 5 years 1 month, although still under mileage. I was told to have dealer call Toyota, which they did not do, despite me repeatedly asking them to do so over the next few months. In the end, I called Toyota again and after they were able to reach the dealer, they said that since it was out of the warranty, I am responsible for any repairs or replacement of housing to their new design. I had replaced the high beam bulbs of course, at significant expense since they are not standard bulbs available at auto parts stores, but I fear they will again fail me at night while on a dark hilly road. Plus now, right after finishing another dealer service, one low beam hid lamp is not staying on and goes off. Checking online, I do not seem to be the only one with headlamp issues on this model, high beam or low beam. Please investigate.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Aug 282013

Avalon 6-cyl

Low beam light flickered on and off, tried the high beam lights of which neither would come on. Took the car to the dealer the next day. The dealer tried new bulbs which immediately blew out. The dealer said that both light assemblies were defective and needed to be replaced at a cost of $ $1400 each. Was advised that Toyota knew that these lights were defective and issued the service bulletin tbs #0044-10 rev 1 extending their warranty from 36,000 miles to 72,000 miles but would not recall them. This car was 1600 miles past the warranty so was not covered. If Toyota thinks that lights going out while driving down the highway at night is not a safety issue, I don't know what is.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

May 012013

Avalon 6-cyl

Bought used in Feb 2013. Used little until May. Headlights off and on without warning. Got progressively worse. Took to dealer and they had to install new headlight assembly as per toyotaservice bulletin 0044-10 at a cost to me of $2600. Calls to Toyota corporate and Toyota extra care resulted in there maintaining that though they knew the problem existed (they even designed a new system) but maintained it was my responsibility and at my cost. For sure most manufacturers would have issued a recall.

- Kenai, AK, USA

Sep 012013

Avalon 6-cyl

When driving, my car has the drl option that utilizes the high beams at a lower voltage during the day. About a couple weeks ago I noticed that my high beams seemed to not be working which is very odd for both bulbs to be out at the exact same time. Sometimes, I need my high beams on dark curvy roads in the area that I live in. I called my dealership(capital Toyota) about it and of course they swept it under the rug of: "we havent heard of that before" the service writer was gratious enought to give me a Toyota Corp. Number 18003314331. So I called and through a couple holds they proceeded to tell me that due to "legal" (you would think that they would be concerned "legally" that owners are having issues seeing at night due to an substandard parts)resonsibilities they would not cover my car in what they are calling an extended warranty soley for the headlight issue they are fully aware of. They said the warranty was for 5 years from the date the vehicle was put into service. My car is one month past said date. Keep in mind that I purchased this car in early June '13. So I was not aware nor did I receive any sort of notification that there was anything that needed to be done or it would have. In fact when I purchased this vehicle I called my local dealership to see if it needed to be caught up on any recall's/tsb's and they said "no". this is a big safety issue that needs to be brought to the national recall level of service if Toyota does not see the need in fixing something beyond my control. From what I understand about the issue, simply replacing the highbeam/drl's will not fix the issue. Not to metion the fact that I could receive a ticket by the police for my high beams not working properly. Please keep me informed of any forthcoming information.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA