2.7

2008 Toyota Avalon lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Toyota Avalon:

2008 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 10)

Dec 252015

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. While driving 55 mph, both high beam head lamps exploded. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that both head lamp assemblies needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Nov 022015

Avalon

The high beam lights are known to explode on some 2008 and 2010 models. My high beam lights exploded with 66,000 miles on the vehicle. This problem happened while my vehicle was in motion. I routinely drive in an area with a heavy deer population. I cannot see these hazards at night with out high beams.Toyota had an extended warranty on this issue (5 years, 70,000 miles). Since my car is over warranty in years but not miles, Toyota refuses to replace the headlight assemblies. They are telling me the cost will be over $2,000. I consider this a safety hazard and am very upset that Toyota will not fix this problem on my $40,000 top of the line Toyota. I am filing this complaint to the dot, ntsb, and attorney general. You can contact me at 850.865.5203. Tim swope, 617 kilcullen dr., niceville, fl 32578.

- Niceville, FL, USA

Nov 212015

Avalon

The headlights for the Avalon only work intermittently. The lighting system will work when the vehicle is first started and after a few minutes, one of the lights will no longer work. In the dark, this creates a safety concern for oncoming cars and limits our ability to see people and other items in the road.

- Kentwood, MI, USA

May 242011

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. While driving 65 mph, the driver side high beam head lamp and the passenger side low beam head lamps failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the low beam and high beam bulbs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred and the driver side low beam head lamp failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who diagnosed that the low beam head lamp bulb needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred after four years. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Oct 132015

Avalon

All of a sudden the high-beam head lights stopped working when the car was in motion on the freeway. Low -beam lights work. This is a real safety hazard and is obviously a Toyota engineering flaw. Toyota did have a warranty enhancement for this vehicle - 75,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. My car has 52,000 miles buts is over 5 years old. Toyota is well aware of this problem and should be required to fix this, free of charge and I should not be required to pay for the fix of $2,500 plus labor, which is outrageous.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Sep 112015

Avalon

Took my car to the local dealer too have headlights looked at because a police officer pulled me over for "no headlight passenger side". when I turned the lights on for him, it came back on. Then I found both high beams burned out and the drl's also did not work. So, off to the dealer. They found both high beam bulbs exploded, and could not reproduce anything else / find any other problem. They removed the high beam bulbs but neglected to inform me. Now after some research I found out these problems are known to Toyota. They extended the warranty to 72,000 miles, but, would not cover my car that I bought from them with 82,000 miles on it... my car now has 97,000 miles on it but nothing does me any good when the lights go out crossing the rocky mountains in the middle of the night... talk about a aha moment. It is a complete safety issue wether they admit it or not.. I have bought my 3 cars for the same dealership / salesman... my life and the lives of my family are way more important than a headlight issue. I have replaced the high beam bulbs myself, now working on the low beams because I have been told they will go out soon.

- Bremerton, WA, USA

Sep 162015

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 302015

Avalon

When coming back from a short trip I noticed that the right side low beam headlamp was out. Then one day the light was on again then the next it is out. Now it rarely comes on so I.called my Toyota dealer and they said it would be at least $200 for new low beam light bulb. I then took it to a reputable repair shop and they said that the bulb was not bad but the ballast was bad. They showed me a list of complaints from on line and they said there was a recall for that problem. Toyota says there is no recall. If this is such a common and expensive problem there should be a recall. I researched several web sites and there are numerous complaints about headlight problems on the 2008 Avalon. Some problems exactly like mine others a little different but all are about malfunctioning headlights.

- Maple Heights, OH, USA

Aug 202015

Avalon

Discover that both high beams do not function. I understand that this is an issue with the Avalon, and Toyota had issued a service bulletin, but has not issued a recall. While this issue is not an dire one, it is a very expensive fix. I think the number of vehicles involved my require a recall.

- Eliyria, OH, USA

Jun 222015

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that the passenger side headlight was completely distorted and inoperative. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the passenger side bulb housing assembly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was included in the manufacturer's recall: Csc-10042925-9889 (exterior lighting), but it was expired. The approximate failure mileage was 22,919. MA 09/03/15 the consumer stated the right side headlamp imploded. Updated 12/10/15

- Washington , DC, USA

Jun 012012

Avalon

Toyota sent out a warranty enhancement notice about June 2012 that if you had problems with high beam headlights on my model vehicle to take the car to a dealer. Car had to be less than 5 years old a under 72,000 miles. I ask about my car and they said my mileage was to high. Within a month I found out what the problem was. The high beam bulbs would explode as mine did. I went back to Toyota to ask for a waver for the repair to be done. They again said no. But would be happy to repair it for $2284.66. The cost of new headlight assemblies. It seems that the original bulb was no longer made and there was no direct replacement for it. Solution was the $2284.66 repair. I believe this is a safety issue and should be covered no matter the age or miles of a vehicle. There was no mention in the notice of bulbs exploding or that the entire assembly would need to be replaced. Very misleading on the part of Toyota.

- Fortson, GA, USA

Mar 012015

Avalon

Total failure of both high beam headlights. Toyota refuses to consider this a warranty item. Although this is a safety item in N.Y. state, Toyota does not feel that this is a safety issue. Upon checking the internet, I find that my problem is not an isolated case.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Jan 152012

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. While driving at various speeds, the low beam head lamps functioned intermittently. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Sep 202014

Avalon 6-cyl

Toyota has issue with day time running lights and high beams. They will only warranty if under 72000 mile or 5 years. If they have a problem they should stand behind.

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Jan 012014

Avalon 6-cyl

Lights just stopped working. Toyota acknowledged there was a problem with the head lights and wrote several dealer service memos concerning this problem. After talking with Toyota Consumer Affairs that this was their problem and they should fix it, they said it was out of warranty. They even advised me that the low beams may fail. They were not concerned about my safety and told me just about to pound sand. They could care less about this, even though they're aware of the problem. My safety means nothing, even after owning 5 Toyota vehicles.

- Englewood, FL, USA

Aug 142012

Avalon

High beam headlamps stop working. Replacement bulbs burn out prematurely. Toyota refuses to fix even though they had a customer support bulletin. Toyota had incorrect address on file so I did not receive bulletin within warranty enhancement period (1 month late). Dealer promised to check but over the course of 4 months, did not contact Toyota. My direct contact to Toyota was then 5 months outside of warranty. High beam bulbs replaced twice, and still problems on a regular basis.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 232014

Avalon

The low beam headlights go out intermittently can get no satisfaction from the dealer and the other dealer will not even return the phone call there has been no accident yet.

- Orange Beach , AL, USA

Nov 152014

Avalon

The contact owns a 2008 Toyota Avalon. While driving 35 mph, the high beam headlight bulb exploded and the low beam headlights shut off. After turning off and restarting the vehicle, the low beam headlights became operable. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that both headlight clusters failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Carmela, NJ, USA

Sep 242014

Avalon

My Toyota Avalon's headlights started going off intermittently and then I noticed my right headlight was out altogether. Since it came and went I let it go for awhile but now it is most of the time on both low beams. This is a serious safety problem since both low beams could go out at the same time. Toyota recognized a design problem with the system a number of years ago and extended their warranty to 5 years or 75000 miles. I never received a notice from them but it could be because it came about around the time I was buying the car used. Now I find out that the high beam cannot be replaced without changing out the entire assembly for $1200 for each side. Toyota tells me they will not help me out whatsoever and want me to fork out $2500 to fix a problem their engineers caused!!

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 152014

Avalon

While driving down a remote dark county road, first my high beam lamps failed simultaneously, then approximately five seconds my left low beam lamp failed. I stopped the car, turned all headlamps off, then after fifteen seconds, I turned the low beam lamps on. After a warm up period, the low beam lamps illuminated. The high beams never illuminated again. The day-time running lamps are no longer working.

- Carmel, IN, USA