2009 Toyota Avalon electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Toyota Avalon:

2009 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Dec 242015

I have owned the car for 2-1/2 years. In that time I have replaced the high beam lights twice. Currently, the right hand high beam light is burned out and will need replaced a third time. I got a rude awakening when the right hand low beam light burned out yesterday. I discovered that the local auto zone wants $170 for the bulb... alone. I can't imagine what it will cost to have someone put it in the car. In my opinion, the cost of replacing this headlight is excessive and should have been considered by Toyota when they used this system in their automobiles. The average joe. Is going to be reluctant to replace the bulb. This renders the car unusable in the non-daylight hours. Help.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Mar 152013

The contact owns a 2009 Toyota Avalon. While driving at various speeds, the driver and passenger side headlights failed to illuminate intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the head lamps needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,920.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Feb 282015

Avalon 6-cyl

The horn works when it wants to and the steering wheel sometimes moves. The car sits lower than it should causing the tires to scrape.

- Satsuma , AL, USA

Jul 142014

Avalon 6-cyl

My high beam and daytime running lights are both not working. The Toyota dealer acknowledged the problem and stated I need to replace the light assemblies along with a new type bulb. I see where this is a common problem with many Toyota cars and Toyota will not cover my car due to it being over their extended warranty period of 5 years by just over a month. I also have a Toyota platinum extended warranty but was told it does not cover my problem. I believe this is a safety issue which should be repaired by Toyota as they know of the problem but restrict the time for repairs for which they extended to 5 years but not for us who are just over by less than two months or even longer. I believe after researching this problem that my vehicle may have more lighting problems which are not present at this time. This is a safety issue and Toyota should be required to repair it at their expense as this is not a cheap repair of more than $1000 per light assembly.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Apr 012011

Today 16 June 2014 I cannot drive at night, no headlights functioning. I purchased a 2009 Avalon new. Had severe headlight problems from the beginning. Headlights were too dim for drive at night safely (come to find out I was driving on the fog lights only, the dim headlight would come on and then turn off so just the fog lights were on), and the dealer would not adjust them stating that it was against the law to adjust them more than the manufacturer's settings, and then the headlight started turning off completely when driving (which was more than terrifying), but the indicator light inside the car said they were on. I took the car back to the dealer many times, always got the same answer: "your car is fine, " "that's just the way they operate". I am 71 years old and I guess they think I'm stupid (not). Finally after many trips and the headlights turning off completely, they tell me the headlights are defective, but I have to pay to have them fixed. $2600 for 2 headlights. My dealer received a letter from Toyota stating the headlights were defective a long time ago, but my dealer never informed me and put me off and would tell me the car was fine until the offer to fix them had expired. I'm not going to just let this go without a fight. Toyota knew these 2009 Avalons had defective headlights and did not recall them. I will spread the word that Toyota will not stand behind their cars and if people are smart they will go elsewhere to buy their cars. I am joining with class action suit to make Toyota fix all these defective headlights.

- Silverdale, WA, USA