2013 Toyota Avalon brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Avalon:

2013 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Avalon

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Avalon. The contact received a recall notice; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. While attempting to merge into traffic, the pcs activated and stopped the vehicle. When the pcs system deactivated, the contact had it reactivated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The recall information was unknown. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Whiteboro, NY, USA

Feb 142014

Avalon

Traveling at approximately 65mph in heavy traffic, sudden braking in front of me required quick braking. When I pressed the brake pedal, no brakes activated and the car actually seemed to increase speed. I then applied heavy pressure on the pedal which caused the tires to screech/slide before the ABS activated. The sudden braking incident caused me to fear not only being rear ended, but also, ramming the vehicle in front of me. Very unsettling and I now have much less confidence in Toyota's top of the line sedan. I am going to local Toyota service department today as this has happened again yesterday, April 16, 2014.

- Palmetto, FL, USA

Jan 242014

Avalon

Brakes were applied automatically although driver was accelerating. Suspect malfunction in pre-collision system (no collision was imminent).

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Dec 162009

Avalon

I stopped at traffic light and had my foot on the brake but felt the car accelerate and start to go forward. I put the car in neutral with my foot still on the brake. When I tried to return to drive the car jumped a foot.I still had my foot pressed down on the brake. I went back to neutral. By that time the light changed and I went to drive and the car was back to normal. The car is 7 months old and this is the third time this has happened.I went to the dealer and after 4 hours I was told they could find nothing wrong with the car.one of the mechanics said :it's funnytof all the complaints we get of this nature wecannot find anything wrong, even our engineers can't figure it out. This disconcerting. While not admitting it they seem aware of the problem my wife is afraid to drive the car for good reason. Can I pursue the lemon law?

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

May 222013

Avalon 4-cyl

While driving from knoxville tn to atlanta ga, on a downgrade just outside of chattanooga on interstate 75 I went to use the brake pedal. It depressed all the way to the floor and did not come back. I had no brakes whatsoever and only by the grace of god was I able to safely make it over to the emergency lane, which was clear, and wait until I got to the bottom of the grade for the vehicle to coast to a stop on it's own. I had to use the grass and gravel just off the emergency lane to help bring the vehicle to a stop. I had vehicle towed back to Toyota of knoxville, where purchased, and was told there is no problem with the vehicle. Have driven another 500 miles without incident and no plausible explanation for what happened has been offered by Toyota.

- Maryville, TN, USA