2013 Toyota Avalon engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Avalon:

2013 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Sep 032016

Dynamic cruise control turn itself off or applies brakes this has happened multiple times on tangent sections with no vehicles in front - highway speed (70 mph). There is a series of beeps and the car slows gradually or abruptly. Dashboard indicator shows there is a vehicle in front but no vehicle is present - false positive. Took vehicle to Toyota dealer and he stated that when pcs was disabled it would remedy the problem. It did not. Returned to Toyota dealer - he checked with Toyota corporate and they have no record of any problems like this. Problem normally occurs on longer trips after driving 2-3 hours. Dynamic cruise cannot be reset for an hour or two. You must either drive manually or use normal cruise control mode for an hour or two and then you can return to dynamic cruise control. Error has now occured at least 6 times since pcs has been disabled and 3X before it was disabled. Date below is the latest occurence.

- Ames, IA, USA

Apr 302016

In 2013 I bought a Toyota Avalon limited sedan. Before the factory warranty was expired, a clip holding the drivers floor mat in place broke. I took it into the dealership and was told it was not covered and the reason it was not is because 'I am getting in and out of my car the wrong way' they put the clip back in but did not repair the underlying carpet issue. I asked for them to show me a written manual or to at least demonstrate what it is I was doing wrong and I also asked if they were watching me get in and out of my car for them to have this information. They were unable to answer any of these questions but still refused to fix the issue. Flash forward and I get a pre-collision system recall. Toyota has no solution so they turn off the entire system. Now I have no collision mitigation when the floor mat clip comes lose again. The mat is under the break pedal and I cannot fully depress the brake pedal. The pre-collision system is turned off so no help there. I managed to reach down and pull the floor mat out from under the brake pedal and stop inched away from another vehicle. I feel that Toyota has needlessly put my welfare at risk and tried to blame me, and the way I ingress and egress the vehicle, additionally it has been nearly a year since they turned off my pre-collision system. I paid $4000 in upgrade fees to get that system.

- Mchenry, IL, USA

Nov 012015

Toyota has failed to remedy NHTSA recall: 15V728 with a reasonable time.interim safety recall notice was in Nov 2015.

- Port Murray, NJ, USA

Apr 152016

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Avalon. The contact received a recall notice; however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. While attempting to merge into traffic, the pcs activated and stopped the vehicle. When the pcs system deactivated, the contact had it reactivated. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The recall information was unknown. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Whiteboro, NY, USA

Mar 102016

While parking my car, the motor suddenly accelerated without the accelerator pedal having been depressed. The car surged forward and even after the brake was applied the engine continued to accelerate for several seconds.

- Issaquah, WA, USA

Apr 212015

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Avalon. While reversing into a parking space, the vehicle accelerated independently and crashed into the vehicle behind it. A police report was filed and it was unknown if any injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to an independent body shop. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,400.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Sep 262013

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle would not accelerate properly. The failure was recurring. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 200,000.

- Taylorsville, NC, USA

Dec 162009

I stopped at traffic light and had my foot on the brake but felt the car accelerate and start to go forward. I put the car in neutral with my foot still on the brake. When I tried to return to drive the car jumped a foot.I still had my foot pressed down on the brake. I went back to neutral. By that time the light changed and I went to drive and the car was back to normal. The car is 7 months old and this is the third time this has happened.I went to the dealer and after 4 hours I was told they could find nothing wrong with the of the mechanics said :it's funnytof all the complaints we get of this nature wecannot find anything wrong, even our engineers can't figure it out. This disconcerting. While not admitting it they seem aware of the problem my wife is afraid to drive the car for good reason. Can I pursue the lemon law?

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Sep 302013

Avalon 6-cyl

While pulling into a head on parking place; suddenly the car accelerated, jumped the curb, crossed the sidewalk and the front wheels went a foot or so into the grass. Applied the brakes and the car stopped.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jun 102013

Avalon 6-cyl

My wife was in a parking lot when the car suddenly accelerated on it's own she applied the brake without results. The car continued forward about 10 feet, and was stopped on impact by a picnic table and side of a building. She received a whiplash injury, recently diagnosed as herniated disks, and is currently under medical care.damage was confined to the grill and crumple zone in the front of the car.the insurance assessed the damage at $7,000, and has been repaired.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Jun 032013

2013 Toyota Avalon hybrid. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle inaccurate speedometer. An inspection revealed the speedometer was 2-3 mph fast. According to Toyota, that was acceptable.

- Rio Vista, CA, USA

Feb 062013

Avalon 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Toyota Avalon. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle surged without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technicians were unable to diagnosed the failure and stated that the vehicle was performing up to specifications. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since an engineer test drove the vehicle and agreed that the vehicle was performing up to specifications. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 300 and the current mileage was 2,000.

- Sarasota, FL, USA