2013 Toyota Avalon miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Toyota Avalon:

2013 Toyota Avalon Owner Comments

Aug 052016

Pcs recall Nov 2015. Vehicle taken in and temporary bypass made (5 Feb 2016). Received word in June that a fix was available. Was told parts not available. It is Aug and parts still not available. Since this is a safety issue I was told not to take long trips until it is fixed. Unacceptable

- Destin, FL, USA

Jul 012016

Driving from pa to nc.on RT13 in seaford, de, driving speed limit heard loud bang. Sunroof exploded & cracked from inside.drove to 1st auto garage, they said we were 2nd Toyota this week with cracked sunroof. They gave us a roll of duct tape, to get us through the monsoon. Toyota Corp recommended going to dealer for evaluation as to how this happened. Have to wait 2 days for appointment. My old Avalon has made many long trips without any problem. This new car has definitely not been made well. I am very disappointed.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Nov 052015

In Nov 2015 Toyota issued safety recall for pre-collison sytem on 2013-2015 Avalons. Six months later Toyota still has no solution. Toyota has pcs systems in other cars so solution should be available.

- Southport, NC, USA

Apr 152016

Headliner at sunroof coming down. Appears to be a problem with this model while doing online research. Just bought this car used a few weeks ago and noticed this problem two weeks later.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 192016

Two related problems. First, six months ago, rodents got into engine compartment and chewed into the insulated liner of the hood. Fragments were dangling into engine when I found it before any problems but repair was $400+. last week, filling gastank, a gallon of fuel spilled on ground immediately. Attendant supervising station spotted it and hit the cutoff. Dealer found that rodent had chewed hole in filler tube. For 35 years, I have parked many cars in this rural neighborhood with wildlife. Many squirrels and chipmunks. Never had a problem until this vehicle. One episode of rogue rodent under the hood might happen. Two in less than a year, at both ends of the car, both in temperate weather makes me wonder if there is something in these materials that attracts rodents. These weren't catastrophic but both events had the potential for great chaos. I have documentation of the repairs if you need them.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jul 072014

Carbon monoxide (co) has been measured in the cabin of the car while driving, when the engine is under load. Also, the smell of engine combustion fumes is included with the co. Toyota has determined that it is not a "repairable condition". technical repair manuals do not list the condition, therefore no repair has been made. Toyota has not honored its warranty. I have incurred a financial loss. To date, Toyota has not provided a solution to this safety problem. A letter with details has been sent to NHTSA, dated 1/26/2016.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 052013

Road noise very loud and distracting. After some investigating on my own I found the problem was coming from the left and right outside mirrors. Took to dealer and they found no I came back home and did some research on internet and found others having same complaint. The mirror housings were changed on models after 8/2013 (had ribs add to housing) return to dealer and they changed to the newer housings and the noise went away.

- Jacksboro, TN, USA

Apr 092015

I'm not sure if the fuel/propulsion system is at fault; however, following is the problem I have experienced numerous times. When I tell Toyota service people about it, they don't seem concerned. When making a slow turn (usually left turn), it appears that I am about to stall - seems like there is not enough gas getting to system - or perhaps it is a transmission problem (geared down too low). I am a woman, so I don't know what the problem is. However, I have been scared numerous times. When this happens, I press the accelerator harder and I am always afraid the car is going to lurch forward too fast.

- Athens, TN, USA

Jun 032014

Noticed some time a go the headliner is sagging at the back window. Was at dealer for service and told them about it. Was told they would order a new one. After observing complaints on tne NHTSA site I see this is an ongoing issue. We'll see if they order it, hopefully Toyota rectifies this before people really get a case of the A__. More than that though, I hope this doesn't become a real safety hazard.

- Washington, DC, USA