1. clean gas cap (1 reports)
2001 Toyota Echo engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Toyota Echo:

2001 Toyota Echo Owner Comments

Jul 262013

Echo 1.4L

Check engine light came on shortly after filling gas tank. No issues with the vehicle before, during or after the light coming on. Vehicle still ran great. Took vehicle to Auto Zone and had them use their diagnostic tool and gave me a code of P0440 (Emissions related code). Starting with the top recommendation, I cleaned my gas cap and the tank fill and reinstalled the gas cap. Reset check engine light by removing the negative battery cable for 15 seconds and reinstalling. It has a week and the check engine light has not been on since. Vehicle (as always) runs like a champ.

- , Laurel, MD, USA

Aug 102011

I took my car to a repair shop because my engine light came on. After $700.00 of so called repairs to fix the problem and 6 visits to the repair shop the light was still coming on. So I took my car over to the toyota dealership, they said they would need to investigate the problem by dropping my gas tank which would cost $390.00 to just investigate because they had no definate answer. They came up with this theory because they smelt gas when they were standing at the back of the car and the tank might have a leak. First off, my car runs on gas so this was not a suprise to smell GAS at the exhaust pipe. Secondly, I have not noticed leaking, a change in gas mileage or anything along those lines. It is a royal headache!

I got a toyota because they are said to last forever. It is not that my car is running badly but my engine light is on which enables me to get an inspection sticker or even sell my car for a decent price. I take car of my cars. I get regular oil changes and whatever maintainance is needed. My sister has also had problems with her Toyota Corolla which is a 2008. Needless to say I will NEVER buy a Toyota again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Richmond, TX, USA