2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser:

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 022009

FJ Cruiser

There is a problem with the inner fender of the Toyota Fj cruiser. My truck has 34K miles and I have noticed a large bulge in the drivers side inner fender, in the crumple zone. The passenger side is also slightly bulged. I have seen in other Fj cruisers how these bulges will slowly crack and cause the fender to tear. As this problem develops in a designed crumple zone, I am concerned that Toyota does not seem to have a solution, or even acknowledge that there is a problem.

- San Pablo, CA, USA

Mar 012008

FJ Cruiser

Passenger side front fender apron beginning to bulge.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 262009

FJ Cruiser

Engine bay or fender apron rips in Toyota Fj cruiser.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Dec 172008

FJ Cruiser

I am concerned about cracks developing in my Toyota Fj cruiser which could affect the safety of myself and others in vehicle.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Oct 012006

FJ Cruiser

Left and right side inner metal fenders are tearing and bulging.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

Jul 012008

FJ Cruiser

While doing routine maintenance I noticed cracks in both inner fender wells of my 1 year old Toyota Fj cruiser. I then starting doing research and found many people with the same problem. I contacted my local dealer and scheduled an appointment and at the time they said that it would be covered under warranty when a fix or repair was available. Several months went by without a response and during that time I had installed new tires and suspension. I then had some more service at another dealer several months later and I was told that the fenders would not be covered under warranty and any alterations from stock would void all warranty. This was noted well before any modifications and I don¿T see where different tires, bumpers, or suspension would have anything to do with fenders. The repair would require replacement of the inner fender wells. Many other people are experiencing this issue as noted on and this repair has been done on several Fj cruisers that I am aware of and the cracks could be considered a safety issue as they are in the crumple zone area.

- Mercer Island, WA, USA

Dec 102008

FJ Cruiser

I have a 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser. I have the truck lifted with a dealership approved lift kit, and dealership approved tires. I have about 50K miles on it, and I just noticed the inner fender inside the engine compartment on the drivers side began to bulge out towards the engine. I took it into Toyota and they one sales rep says I must of had an accident to cause this, I have not! another rep says he has heard of this issue but has never seen it before. They are going to have an engineer come and take a look at it. I have done my own research and have found that Toyota has since redesigned this section now 3 times but are still claiming it to be user fault. I have 127 other people that have now claimed this issue many of which have stock vehicles and have never been off road or had the suspension or tires max out. This bulge leads to cracks right in the crumple zone of the engine compartment. Which could seriously affect how the vehicle reacts to an accident and cause further harm to its occupants.

- Golden, CO, USA

Aug 242006

FJ Cruiser

I have bulging and cracking on my inner fender aprons on my truck, they have been progressively getting worse. When they started I had zero modifications and had only driven on mild dirt roads. And some sand. Toyota has since denied me repair because of some modifications I have installed. Toyota also is on the 3rd fender design so they obviously know there is a problem but they want to blame the owners for it.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Oct 142007

FJ Cruiser

The problem is the inner fender in my 2007 fj. It has bulges and will eventually crack. Other owners have had it cracked, so I am waiting to see how long that takes to happen. I haven't taken it in to get fixed yet, but Toyota is claiming that it's not a design issue. The only problem is a numerous other owners have the same issue.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 212008

FJ Cruiser

2007 Toyota Fj cruiser fender bulges and cracking on my vehicle without modification on the vehicle. Fender cracking/bulges was not also due to excessive or even off-roading, jumping or other vehicle activities.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jul 152007

FJ Cruiser

I own a 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser. It is a multi-purpose 4X4 vehicle. I use it off-road occasionally. There are rips associated with metal fatigue in the inner fender aprons at approximately 18,000 miles. I have some slight movement is the fenders and wide seams of the hood. I have taken it to a dealership, however they will not repair it because there in no know fix for the problem.

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Jun 102008

FJ Cruiser

Toyota Fj cruiser 2007: Inner fender rails / engine bay (structural vehicle body panel) bulges and cracks under regular operation condition. After an first replacement at ~ 5000mi, the new parts cracked again at ~ 11000mi. Toyota refuses to repair that structural defect under warranty, which is a ~ $10000 repair. This concern has been reported under a significant number of Fj cruiser owners (see Fj cruiser forum engine bay rips).

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Sep 152008

FJ Cruiser

My 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser developed two, under the hood, wheel well/inner fender cracks, at the crumple dimples. The vehicle exhibited the body cracks at 18,000 miles. Each crack, one on the left and right, directly above each upper wheel well, where attached to the inner fender, are about 4" long and 1/16"-1/8" wide. I took the truck to Toyota where, without batting an eye, sent the truck to a body shop and replaced both the left and right inner fender assembly. This was a very major repair, costing Toyota about $8K in materials and labor. I am very concerned that this problem will reappear, after my warranty expires at 36,000 miles. I do not sport off-road this truck.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Oct 152007

FJ Cruiser

Inside the engine compartment there is deformation of the bodywork (bulges). These are aligned with the dimples designed to control the crush of the front structure under impact. The bulges began to be noticeable when the vehicle was about 1 year old and had about 15,000 miles. This is a common problem with this vehicle, and usually leads to tears in the bodywork on the inside of the front fenders.

- La Habra Heights, CA, USA

Oct 042008

FJ Cruiser

My 2007 Toyota Fj cruiser with an Expedition one front bumper and 6" rough country lift has gotten inner fender bulges. It has never been jumped or involved in an accident. The drivers side inner fender has begun to bulge up in the crumple zone. I have taken it to yokem Toyota, and they are waiting to hear from the national Toyota office before fixing it under warranty. They have been helpful, but since Toyota has not issued a service bulletin, they don't know how to handle it.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

May 162008

FJ Cruiser 6-cyl

My 2007 Fj cruiser is cracking and bulging in the inner fender frame / body.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Apr 232008

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

Inner fender apron cracking on drivers side. This is at a pint about 8" forward of the firewall.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 032008

- Gladstone, OR, USA

Dec 302007

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

My 2007 voodo blue Fj cruiser paint is chipping and has about 4500 miles on it and has never been offroad.

- Cleveland , TN, USA

Oct 012007

FJ Cruiser 4WD 6-cyl

Body panels inside engine bay are ripped about 8 inches forward of the firewall. I am in communication with Toyota to get this fixed.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA